Minecraft Won't Come To Vita

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Minecraft Won't Come To Vita

Even though it's coming to almost every other platform, Minecraft won't find a home on Sony's newest system.

Minecraft is available to play on just about any system you could want. It's already out for PC and Mac, with mobile versions on both iOS and Android. It's even scheduled to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110678-E3-Minecraft-Coming-to-Xbox-360-With-Kinect>come to the Xbox 360 (eventually). However, Mojang's Daniel Kaplan has announced that his company doesn't intend to bring the game to the <a href=http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Vita-3G-Wi-Fi-Launch-Bundle/dp/B0071NH8B8/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329165842&sr=8-1>PlayStation Vita.

Kaplan was conducting a webchat interview when he revealed the lack of Vita plans. This is a bit of a surprise, since Minecraft: Pocket Edition launched on the <a href=http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/mobilephones/overview/xperia-play?cc=gb&lc=en>Sony Xperia Play (billed as being the first PlayStation Certified phone). The mobile game became the Android Market's most-downloaded game on a global scale, too.

That said, the company's got a couple of other games that are going to be released across multiple platforms. Kaplan stated that Scrolls "is definitely coming for touch screens," while Cobalt (Mojang's first third-party game) may come to other systems since "the controls don't fit the touch screen."

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-13-mojang-no-plans-for-minecraft-on-vita>Eurogamer

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
....Yay? ....Or okay? ....Or something?

Thank you Mr. [user]vansau[/user] for the news, but I'm finding it troublesome to actually care. Proabaly because I'm less of a fan of the Playstation and Sony.

[small]which makes me sad because I really want to play Heavy Rain....[/small]

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Huh, this is actually kinda surprising. Considering that the app version of Minecraft wasn't all that great I heard, figure they'd want to bring it to an actual handheld game console.

Hell, it could've been the killer app the Vita needs.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
*shrugs*

I wasn't getting a Vita anyway so no harm done to me. Never really got the appeal of having Minecraft on the go.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Mojang smells death on it, that's why. This platform is going to fail, mark my words. It's just tragic how many missteps Sony is making with this thing. Plus, Minecraft doesn't really work with touch controls.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Well let's be honest: no one was going to buy the Vita to play Minecraft on it anyway.
No one will buy Vita just to play Minecraft, but lots of people who have the Vita will probably buy Minecraft if it's reasonably priced. It would be a win-win situation for Sony and Mojang.

On topic
I'm surprised about this. Minecraft is one of those few games that will sell on any platform. And they said they have no plans. That doesn't mean they definitely won't port it to the Vita. There is always the possibility of a late port.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Somebody actually bought a Vita?

(No shock to hear that. It's a dead console and a waste of time to develop for.)

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
Minecraft barely runs on the PC as it is, what is this rubbish anyways that minecraft is all on these other devices? the version thats on those mobile devices can hardly be called minecraft. they are so stripped down that they barely have anything to do with what minecraft is.

Minecraft is only Minecraft on the PC, if your playing it elsewhere, your playing something else.

Thats not even meant as like an elitist PC thing, it's just true.

"Pocket edition"? more like demo edition.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm not surprised. The issue of licensing the product for Sony alone probably isn't worth it. I also don't think it needs to be released on everything. It's now on platforms that just about everyone has whether it's a smartphone or PC.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Merlark said:
Minecraft barely runs on the PC as it is
What? Seriously what?

It might have bugs just like any other game, but unless you have a PC from the year 2002 it runs just fine.
Even with a 128x texture pack and GLSL Shaders mod I still get 60FPS.

So let me rephrase that for you

Merlark said:
Minecraft barely runs on the my PC as it is
OT: No one was really going to buy the VITA just for Minecraft anyway, not the way things are now.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Good for Mojang, they won't waste precious resources on a shoddy port for a system that nobody was going to buy anyway.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
If it ends up on the 360 I might actually...y'know...play it.

I mean I have it for the PC but...eh, I'm the first to admit I'm not much of a PC gamer. I spend enough time on here wasting time with forums like these and doing schoolwork or comics.

It's hard for me to see the PC as a gaming device.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Strain42 said:
If it ends up on the 360 I might actually...y'know...play it.

I mean I have it for the PC but...eh, I'm the first to admit I'm not much of a PC gamer. I spend enough time on here wasting time with forums like these and doing schoolwork or comics.

It's hard for me to see the PC as a gaming device.
Well, if instead of a new console you just invested in a good computer you would only need a single system instead of having a decent computer and a home console. Besides you could probably just use a wired 360 controller and map the controls. I haven't tried it, but it should be possible.

OT

So, will the new standard be that all competent systems will run Tetris, Super Mario Bros. and Minecraft?

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Canadish said:
Somebody actually bought a Vita?

(No shock to hear that. It's a dead console and a waste of time to develop for.)
I am one of many people with a pre-order.

I like video games. I already like some of the mentioned titles. There's no reason why I wouldn't give the Vita a go.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Kwil said:
Almost every other platform that doesn't have Nintendo in its name you mean.

Actually, no Nintendo, now no Sony. Does Mojang discriminate against asians?
lets be honest - both nintendo and sony deserved it.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Merlark said:
Minecraft barely runs on the PC as it is, what is this rubbish anyways that minecraft is all on these other devices? the version thats on those mobile devices can hardly be called minecraft. they are so stripped down that they barely have anything to do with what minecraft is.

Minecraft is only Minecraft on the PC, if your playing it elsewhere, your playing something else.

Thats not even meant as like an elitist PC thing, it's just true.

"Pocket edition"? more like demo edition.
They just released Survival Mode for it. Even though it's still missing more mobs and crafting, it's s small step, considering they only got 1 person working on the mobile version.