Fallout 3 Marathon Raising Money For Child's Play

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fallout 3 Marathon Raising Money For Child's Play

Beginning February 17, a bunch of teenagers will spend more than 60 hours tearing up the Capital Wasteland to raise funds for the Child's Play charity.

Got some free time on your hands this weekend? Check out the Fallout 3 marathon for Child's Play [http://www.childsplaycharity.org/], the latest addition to the "oh God what have we done to ourselves" club that begins at 5 pm PST on February 17 and runs for more than 60 hours, presumably until the game is over, all the participants have passed out or somebody dies.

This isn't actually the first rodeo for these guys. They've previously run two "Halo: Endurance Evolved" marathons as well as a "Retrothon" in April 2011, raising a grand total of $2258 for Child's Play. This time around the goal is to raise at least $2000 in a single marathon, and because the team is made up entirely of 16 and 17-year-olds [with attendant questionable judgment] they've come up with some interesting incentives to encourage donations, including making someone chew a piece of gum older than they are and eating "Death Sauce," whatever that is. In case that's not enough to pique your interest, prizes will also be awarded.

Sound like fun? Hopefully it won't be, at least for the guys playing; I don't watch gaming marathons to see people having a good time, I do it to watch them suffer! Suffer for the children! So here's hoping that this will be a physically and emotionally draining and traumatic experience for everyone. Answers to questions, information about donating and more [including a link to the video stream when the action begins] can be found at fallout3marathon.com [http://www.fallout3marathon.com/index.html].

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
First Halo and now Fallout 3. The next games will likely be Modern Warfare 3 and Farmville.

Staying mainstream, I guess, isn't a bad thing. It gets publicity and a charity is a good cause.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
One of the few games you can actually play for 60+ hours and still have content within the game to play.

Well, at least they picked a fun game. ^_^

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Hmm. There's a problem here. Fallout 3 is actually fun to play. The point of these things, I assumed, was to pay to torture them, and support the children at the same time. Playing Fallout 3 is actually entertaining, though, so the incentive is lessened.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Jove said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Hmm. There's a problem here. Fallout 3 is actually fun to play. The point of these things, I assumed, was to pay to torture them, and support the children at the same time. Playing Fallout 3 is actually entertaining, though, so the incentive is lessened.
Lol true. So I guess we should have them play 60+ straight hours of Dark Souls XD.
Now that I would pay for. There should be a littlelarge jar, for all the sad tears they'd be crying trying to get through it. And a swear jar, next to it. Swears lasting more than a second have additional per second charges, just to get the numbers up. Man, talk about paying to torture people.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Jove said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Jove said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Lol true. So I guess we should have them play 60+ straight hours of Dark Souls XD.
Now that I would pay for. There should be a littlelarge jar, for all the sad tears they'd be crying trying to get through it. And a swear jar, next to it. Swears lasting more than a second have additional per second charges, just to get the numbers up. Man, talk about paying to torture people.
Swear jar alone could stand as the donations XD. Although I'm not sure what there supposed to do with a tear jar though, unless they plan to then sell it and use the money as another type of donation. lol
Oh, no. That's just for our amusement. Think of it as the Dark Souls version of one of those little thermometer facsimiles. Just, instead of progress, it measures how much of their will to live we're taking, to make them play. Every tenth could be a donation challenge, or something. Something light, to give them more hope. Before Dark Souls destroys it again.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Jove said:
BehattedWanderer said:
THAT is probably the most sadistic thing Ive ever heard

anyway, Fallout 3 is a game you can really get lost in...so yeah, Ive considered doing some "all nighter" gaming sessions (just so I can clear my backlog) but then I have a day job...

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Last I checked, the whole point of a marathon is that it's an endurance test to see if you can last while doing something that sucks. Like running 26 miles without stopping.

Unless they have only one designated Fallout 3 player who's going to start to get delirious after hour 30 and eat his or her own shoes, this is a marathon only in the sense that it's something done over a long period of time. Like a 'marathon' session of living in your parents' basement.

ExiledPaladin13

Aug 3, 2011
You cant suffer from playing Fallou-

Fallout 3 has stopped responding.

OT: This sounds like a good idea! theres nothing like playing a Triple A game like fallout 3 while eating overdue foodstuffs, kudos to these guys!

Kyle Owsen

Feb 14, 2012
Judging from our previous marathons, any game, no matter how great, becomes painful when played for sixty hours straight. I'm sure this will be no different. But you know, in a good way. :)

Thank you for all the support and I hope to see all of you there on Friday. :)

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
MetalMonkey74 said:
I'd would totally give money for this, if Fallout 3 worked on Windows 7.

But alas, it doesnt :(
I know that feel, bro. My physical copy of Battlefront II doesn't work on Win 7 either. Steam is typically a good fix for these issues, as they iron out most compatibility problems, even for older games. Buying BF II on Steam fixed my problem right away.

If Fallout doesn't work even after buying it on Steam, it most likely boils down to a Games for Windows Live issue. You can easily Google the error or problem you're having and get a bunch of fixes for it, though.

OT: I don't have cash to contribute, but I'll contribute in spirit by playing some Fallout 3 all weekend.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Dark Souls sounds like a great title to make you want to kill yourself. That game is so broken it makes me sad just to think about it.

TLS14 said:
Steam is typically a good fix for these issues, as they iron out most compatibility problems, even for older games. Buying BF II on Steam fixed my problem right away.

OT: I don't have cash to contribute, but I'll contribute in spirit by playing some Fallout 3 all weekend.
I bought Fallout 3 over Steam, still won't work on Windows 7. Huge buzz kill. Luckily I still have a PC that run XP for some reason.

Kudos to you guys.

Kyle Owsen

Feb 14, 2012
Marathon update -

Bethesda has donated some awesome prizes for us to raffle away, including a signed Vault Boy bobblehead and some Fallout 3 lunchboxes. You can enter to win them by donating, or even just following us on twitter!

Link directly to prize page - http://www.fallout3marathon.com/prizes.html

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Kyle Owsen said:
Judging from our previous marathons, any game, no matter how great, becomes painful when played for sixty hours straight. I'm sure this will be no different. But you know, in a good way. :)

Thank you for all the support and I hope to see all of you there on Friday. :)
You'd be surprised what some people (like me) can do to drag out a play session to longer than the average lifespan of a human.

Now if you need me, I need to go reorganize my 2000 Bent Tin Can collection (OK, I lie... I keep all of them in one drawer).

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
I thought marathons for charity were supposed to be dull and boring? I would pay to play Fallout 3 for 60 hours uninterrupted.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
The marathon will last a whole half an hour until it is brought to an unfortunate end when everybody's game crashes.