EA Launches, Kills Mass Effect 3 Preorder Offer on Origin

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Launches, Kills Mass Effect 3 Preorder Offer on Origin

A short-lived and possibly ill-conceived promotion offering free copies of Battlefield 3 with Mass Effect 3 preorders on Origin has been brought to a halt.

On or about February 14, somebody at EA came up with a bright idea to promote the Origin digital distribution platform: give away free copies of Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-40834ttlefield-32-Battlefield/dp/B005WWZUQ0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1329500384&sr=8-7] preorder made through Origin. There were a few catches - only good in North America, cannot be combined with other offers, PC only, that sort of thing - but for gamers who don't already own Battlefield 3 it was a pretty sweet deal. The offer was originally set to run until March 5 but, for reasons unknown, it's been terminated a little earlier than planned. As in, yesterday.

Did EA check the books and realize it was giving away the farm? Whatever the reason, a tweet [https://twitter.com/#!/origin_EA/status/170297689869795329] last night made it clear that the ride on the gravy train, which had barely pulled out of the station, was over. "The pre-order Mass Effect 3 get a bonus copy of Battlefield 3 is over," it said. "All pre-orders made during the deal will receive a code by Mar. 8th."

It's kind of weird that the codes won't be emailed until March 8 (which is what I take "by March 8" to mean) as that means people will be receiving them just as they're digging in to Mass Effect 3. Then again, it's kind of weird that EA pulled the plug on this program after less than two days, too. It's a great deal for anyone who managed to slip in while it was live, but I suspect that not a lot of thought was put into this promo before the trigger was pulled.

Source: PC Perspective [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/17/origin-ends-offer-of-battlefield-3-bonus-with-mass-effect-3-earl]

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i preordered before that was even in affect will i get it or do i lose out once more

jan 22 2012 is when i did it

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Strange, but then these are the people who want consumers to track game discs attached to weather balloons. They've had weirder marketing gaffs.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
FelixG said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Strange, but then these are the people who want consumers to track game discs attached to weather balloons. They've had weirder marketing gaffs.
You know, with EA's track record, I am sort of expecting one of those copies to end up in the engine of an airliner and cause a huge incident.
As horrible an accident that would cause, the idea of it happening sounds hilarious.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
My friend was talking to me yesterday about how they did the same type of thing with the BF3 preorder. The bonus was a copy of BF1942, but the sad thing is, none of the codes for BF1942 were ever given out. I'm betting that the same thing will happen here. I mean, this is EA after all.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
EA was doing something generous that would endear them to the video-game community and show that they aren't totally soul-less monsters who would spit on you as soon as look at you even after you gave them $60 to not do that and let them root through your personal stuff.

Of course they put an end to it quickly.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
So after promising a free copy of Battlefield 1943 to everyone who bought Battlefield 3 on PS3 and not honouring that EA goes and does this. Wonderful.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It seemed like a really weird game to give away with Mass Effect 3...Granted, Mass Effect has been becoming more and, more action oriented but Mass Effect 3 and, Battlefield 3 are still hugely different games. Still, it sounded like a great deal and there have been stranger deals (Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt on the same cartridge?! What the Hell?!) Too bad they pulled the plug so quickly though...I assume the number of pre-orders were much higher than expected since a lower number of pre-orders would probably entice them to keep the offer going.

Of course the drunken EA Overmind would make for a better story.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
This is a good example of why you really need an accountant in with your creative teams. I'm guessing that as soon as someone in the accounts department saw what the marketing department were doing, they walked across the hall and gave them a whack round the head with the 2011/12 ledger.

Apr 28, 2008
So you have a great deal, then kill it really early.

*sigh*

EA...

You know EA, when you pre-order something on Steam that comes with a free game, you're immediately able to download that free game and start playing. Right away. You don't have to wait a few weeks.

Just saying.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Best guess I could come up with of why it got pulled was that they had initially set out with a limited number of keys that they were going to do this with and they ran out much faster then they expected. The more then likely story is they did not expect it to be as huge as it was and they realized they were giving away a crunk ton of games and ended it before they lost a crunk ton of money along with it.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
eh bf3 came out a while a go guys...the giant landslide of sales for the game is done. now all youll get is crummy sales here n there. this was actually pretty smart. the two biggest games, both high quality and highly regarded? fuck, i might of actually bought me3 if you had let it go on...

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Hiphophippo said:
Real shame I missed out on this. : /
If EAs track record is anything to go on the only thing you missed out on was the disappointment of not getting a free copy of BF3 and the subsequent rage at EA for fucking over their customers...again.