Angry Birds Fly Into Space

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Angry Birds Fly Into Space

The Angry Birds are entering the final frontier.

The Angry Birds will soon come one step closer to being literally everywhere as they blast off into space in March. The upcoming, creatively named Angry Birds Space will be the fourth entry in the franchise, following Angry Birds, Angry Birds Rio and Angry Birds Seasons, and according to Rovio it will also be the biggest launch since the original. The new game will be released to "mobile gaming, retail, and animation channels" simultaneously, and NASA and National Geographic are on board as launch partners.

"We think fans are really going to love it because we've already gotten amazing feedback on the physics of our games," Rovio North America General Manager Andrew Stalbow told Yahoo! Games [http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/exclusive-angry-birds-space-blasting-off-march-154237614.html]. "They're so accurate and easy to grasp that some teachers use Angry Birds in their lessons about projectile motion."

As you might expect from a space-based Angry Birds, this time you'll be flinging avian creatures around in a zero-gravity environment, which will allow for things like slow-motion puzzles and "lightspeed destruction." The familiar three-star rating system will return, and the old, familiar flock will be joined by some new faces.

Angry Birds is one of the most lucrative game franchises on the planet, having been downloaded more than 700 million times in various forms across the iOS and Android operating systems. The birds have appeared in television shows and commercials, have turned up in stuffed animal form and were even used in a promotional tie-in with the Fox animated film Rio. A version of the game also recently appeared on Facebook [https://apps.facebook.com/angrybirds/].

Angry Birds Space launches on March 22.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Hehe. I'm considering getting this, because Angry Birds has so far offered good consistent and time killing fun :3

EDIT: Inb4 "SSSSPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Oh. Okay. I thought they were literally firing a copy of it into space, and I was about to scream "ENOUGH WITH THE INCREASING ORBITAL SPACE DEBRIS ALREADY!"

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
lRookiel said:
Hehe. I'm considering getting this, because Angry Birds has so far offered good consistent and time killing fun :3

EDIT: Inb4 "SSSSPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
Didn't you hear? Space core came down to Skyrim. Space isn't cool anymore.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Lets hope they just fix the shitty physics, when something should fall it better fall not just get stuck on some blocks that aren't even holding it up!

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Congratulations to Rovio, who can now retire in peace and security. Please?

You know, I know three people who own iPads, two people who own iPhones, and a ton of people who own Android phones. I have never witnessed anyone playing Angry Birds.

Thank God I never payed them any money, though, because there are some really standard features missing from this game. Has no one at Rovio ever played a another game from the genre? Why is there no on-screen guideline? One-button reset? The option for one-button and reverse-drag launching? Its never bothered me before, but when you want NASA to get on board, its time to fix your game.
Quiet Stranger said:
Lets hope they just fix the shitty physics, when something should fall it better fall not just get stuck on some blocks that aren't even holding it up!
They won't. That would require effort beyond new skins, and the fans aren't willing to complain about a lack of effort.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Space huh?

I guess Rovio wants to take their franchise...

*puts on sunglasses*

...to new heights.

Also I wonder if they'll add new gameplay mechanics to this version of the game? I'd imagine there would be various levels based on different planets. And they'll each have various levels of gravity.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Will definitely download this title, and I'm surprised to find that I'm actually somewhat excited for it, especially if it were 2 months ago, you wouldn't catch me dead playing the game. . . but then I got a Samsung Galaxy, and I got a taste of the game myself, very fun game, but FULL of bullshit.

If all they do is add new birds, new levels, new skins/enemies and a new background, then this will be a huge disappointment. They need to change a LOT of things before this becomes a solid release. They already have 3 identical games out, we don't need or want another.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm a little surprised to hear this. Not because the news itself is surprising, but because I was expecting the next Angry Birds game to somehow involve the band Kiss (although I guess this one could)

In one of the recent Friday News Wrap-Ups from AppSpy they were talking about how Kiss and Rovio were working together.

Personally, I think this is already turning out to be a more productive idea than Seasons and Rio were since this game would probably let them alter the in-game physics.

I say bring it on. I look forward to a fourth Angry Birds game lol

But in the mean time I'm gonna stick with Ragdoll Blaster 3.

TheProffesor

Feb 3, 2012
I like Angry Birds. It's probably the best game for mobiles out there. Hardcore gaming just doesn't work on a touch screen.

Kiba Bloodfang

Jan 24, 2010
I liked Angry Birds before it was cool. It was called Crush the Castle -_-

....that's the hipsterest thing I wrote. ._.
But no, it really irks me that Angry Birds has all this popularity when Crush the Castle had the same exact mechanics! And was BETTER!

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks this might have been inspired by The Muppet Show?

PIIIIIIIGSSSSS INNNNNN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCEEEEE!!!

*looks around*

I feel really old right now...