This Generation's "Star Wars"

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
This Generation's "Star Wars"

The guys get all up in this generation's "Star Wars".

Read Full Article

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Oh Dan, I'm sorry, if I was a women, I'd throw myself at your feet!

But in all seriousness, there was good points from all sides. And I'm not completely sure, but I think after mentioning the fact, in each thread, they didn't mention video games in either video on a gaming site was surprising. Or did someone else mention that too? Meh, too lazy to go check, back to Tactix.

Webb Myers

May 17, 2010
"If they were truly this generation's "Star Wars", there would be no eclipsing the actors."

Maybe Natalie Portman is just this generation's Harrison Ford...now there's a weird thought.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I'm surprised there are so few comments on this. Then again, what people wanted to say about the debate and its sides is already said for the most part.
If only the comments were as persistent as in the ZP-EP transition...

Xombi3Jesus

Feb 6, 2011
What Dan said about the rarity of book releases drawing physical crowds got me thinking: how great would it be if A Song of Ice and Fire turned into the next generation's Star Wars? The release of A Dance with Dragons last year drew some pretty impressive crowds, and the success of the television series is causing many fans of either medium to explore the other, not to mention attracting new fans (who now have to endure the torturous wait for next novel alongside the old guard), thus increasing the popularity of both exponentially as they feed off of one another. And this is only the beginning, of course. The enormous fan base that popped up in response to season one will only continue to grow as seasons 2 through (hopefully) ten or so air. Within the next couple years, I'd bet all my pokémon cards that any self-proclaimed geek/nerd/whatever aged 12+ will be as intimately familiar with the story as those who've been reading it since A Game of Thrones was published back in '96. Sure it's a very adult show with tons of violence and nudity, but come on, guys. What 12-year-old nerd would pass up something like that? I'd bet most of us have experienced far worse from videogames. *cough*Duke Nukem Forever*cough*

This is part of why I appreciate the escapist's coverage of the series so much. We should be trying to spread the word to as wide a demographic as possible. It's not too late to save this current generation from being defined by sparkly "vampires" and their homoerotic interactions with perpetually topless wolfmen.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with Star Wars being Star Wars. It's pretty much timeless and kids of each generation get into it through a new iteration (See The Clone Wars TV series) or through a re-release (See the recent Blu-Ray and 3D releases) of the previous ones. Case in point, me, I got sweeped up in all the hype for The Phantom Menace as a 7 year old and watched the originals with my brother while he was in the hospital (Long story). We loved those movies and bonded over them and such.

Star Wars is a huge part of our lives like nothing else (Maybe Nintendo) and we even went and saw The Phantom Menace in 3D when it came out. Yeah, the prequels are bad, but they had the same effect on kids my age as the original trilogy did on previous generations. Case in point, I met kids in High School that preferred the prequels, yeah, that's a thing...

I do think Harry Potter comes close though. That was a big thing to a lot of kids and actually got them reading. Myself including, however, I wasn't ever really as hyped about them as Star Wars. For example, I skipped a couple in theaters, only own one crappy DVD, and have only really read each book once (Plus only really own the seventh in great condition still). Of course, that's just me and I can't speak for every kid.

I've always liked Tolkien, but the books and movies are just so slow and long, that I don't they have that same punch to kids as Star Wars (Or the aforementioned Harry Potter) does to kids. I bloody loved The Hobbit, but could never finish The Lord of the Rings (The book or the movies). I'll probably change that this year, seeing as The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is coming out...

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
This dialogue is great when it's limited to movies (I think the Lord of the Rings trilogy best encapsulates it), but I think that in this day and age the conversation needs to be expanded to include game series' as well. I think the Mass Effect series is the closest thing this generation has to a "Star Wars" experience. A brand new, fully fleshed out sci-fi galaxy with its own laws (mass effect fields, element zero and Mass Relays), great characters, a host of alien species and an unforgettable story, with a relatively similar story arc to Star Wars from what we've seen so far:

First episode: Introduction of major protagonists and antagonists, the galaxy as a whole, the call to the adventure, and the climax is a threat to the protagonists that is only averted at the last possible moment.

Second episode: The development of the characters and their personal relationships, romantic and otherwise, become more defined. The antagonists strike a blow early that part of the narrative centers on the protagonists recovering from it. New characters are introduced that may play important parts later in the story. There is a major revelation at some point in the story which alters the course of the narrative, and the climax is a character driven mission to rescue friends that have been captured by the antagonists.

Third Episode:
Both sides in the galactic struggle marshal their full strength and wage an epic battle with the protagonists at the heart of the struggle. If conventional wisdom is to be believed and the players don't do anything stupid, good will triumph over evil, the galaxy is saved and the protagonists live happily ever after.

demalo

Aug 16, 2011
The Matrix. I still don't care if the last two movies were shit, it is gen y's Star Wars. And that may be the best description of Gen Y'ers, great go-geters, horrible follow through.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
If we analyse this, the old SW were designed, filemd and succeeded as a trilogy. They changed the view on scifi becuase they appealed through human qualities. They cannot be ignored by any later generation if they wannna know somehing about movies or scifi. And they are incessantly milked and spin-offed ever since.

What paralell do you get? Stargate.

The format doesn't matter, but I stress only a series longer than few movies can have the closest to SW's impact in this age of extreme paralellisation.