Sony: Why we Nixed the UMD Transfer System

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008

Apparently there's insufficient demand for the UMD transfer service outside of Japan.

Earlier in the month, Sony announced that its UMD transfer service, which allows Vita owners to transfer UMD-based PSP games to their new handheld in exchange for a small fee, would be restricted to Japan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.346497-No-UMD-Transfer-for-the-Vita?page=1]. Angry hooting ensued.

Today, in an interview with Wired, Sony World Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said that there simply isn't enough demand to make bringing the service to the west worthwhile.

"The system has been introduced in Japan, where there is a much larger demand for PSP games," he explained.

"When you look at the release schedule of new titles there are still lots of PSP games being released in Japan and being announced for release. Lots of people who are interested in trying Vita are also interested in playing PSP games that they might purchase before Vita comes out, and will not necessarily choose the digital version. So there is a lot more demand... to introduce a program like that."

While backwards compatability is important during a console launch, when the game lineup is at its weakest, it does become less important as the system matures. The (relatively) small subset of gamers for whom backwards compatibility is a sticking point doesn't justify the cost of the program. Acquiring the correct licensing for all the various western territories would cost Sony a small fortune.

Yoshida went on to argue that UMD games are cheaper in Europe and the US than they are in Japan, meaning western gamers are more likely to just rebuy the games rather than use the transfer service.

"When you compare that to the price of games here, PSP games in Japan are sold at a much higher price, so people see the value in spending the $5 to $10 to get the digital copy," he said. "But when the games are already sold at a lower price in the U.S. we see less value in introducing that kind of system."

When asked why the transfer system charges Japanese customers to download copies of games they already own, the answer was simple, money.

"There are many, many games that are sold at an affordable price," he said. "Because people in Japan are not getting the digital copy for free, because it costs us money to develop and maintain the system so we are asking people to pay somewhere between $5 and $10 to receive the digital copy in addition to what they have on the UMD."

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/02/shuhei-yoshida-dice-interview/]

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I guess that's one more reason why people wont ever buy one. I think they've given up on it and are trying to cut their losses by forcing people to buy the games again.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
So what I'm getting here is that the UMD transfer exists for Sony's benefit, to milk more money out of users for games they already bought; and they don't think they'll make enough on it in the US or Europe to make it worth Sony's effort.

I actually don't mind the first part, but the second bit is really annoying. "Oh well, it's not worth OUR effort even if you were a loyal PSP customer."

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
That's fine Sony, I just wont be buying a VITA. I don't like the prospect of being asked to pay again to play games I already own on a different console to begin with and PSPs are easy to come by even if mine happens to stop working.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
So your argument is you don't want to support a feature for a console that's having trouble selling, because you can't make money off the system as well as you would in Japan, even if it ends up fucking over the sales of your console outside of Japan? Genius!

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Well at least they were finally straight up about the whole deal. It is a business and it does eventually come down to money for them. Nothing wrong with that, but good luck getting many people outside of Japan to buy the Vita.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
You know, I used to be really hyped for the Vita, that hype died down with stupid Sony decision after decision, now I just pity it

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Like I said before: If the Vita fails in America...
DVS BSTrD said:
it won't be the Smart phone that killed it.
It will be Sony itself.
off to a fine start aren't they, if i wanted one before (hint: didn't) this would defiantly killed any interest.

said it before, and I'll say it again.

I.WILL.NOT.BUY.A.GAME.I.ALREADY.OWN.AGAIN.JUST.BECAUSE.YOU.THINK.YOU.NEED.MORE.MONEY

and that's really all i have to say about that :)

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Good thing I didn't own a PSP or I'd be pissed!

I bit and ordered a Vita today. A stupid choice, no doubt, but I couldn't resist. The dual analogs and shininess beckoned.

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
So, a cheaper way to get PSP games onto the Vita is being denied. Okay sony, you have the right to do that, but you're giving me a dillema.

1. There's a game coming out later this year in japan for PSP that might never reach down here in Australia or even America, so I'll have to buy the japanese language version.
2. I want the vita, but to afford it I may have to trade in my PSP for it.
3. Japanese language games are not sold on the Playstation network. (Edit: in Australia)
4. If I trade in my PSP I won't be able to play the game I want.

And so, I might not be able to buy Vita until I have finished the game, which is probably not even coming out until much later this year, and not even in my own language.

Sony, why do you hate me?

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
Grey Carter said:

"When you compare that to the price of games here, PSP games in Japan are sold at a much higher price, so people see the value in spending the $5 to $10 to get the digital copy," he said. "But when the games are already sold at a lower price in the U.S. we see less value in introducing that kind of system."

When you show a blatant lack of respect for your customers in the U.S., we see less value in continuing to support you financially. It seems like Mr. Yoshida just doesn't understand that we don't like the idea of re-buying games we already own, and that there's always the option of giving up on Sony. I don't believe that the PSP didn't thrive because it was lousy hardware (for the most part it's not), it was because Sony took every good long-term business decision for it and did the opposite. With that kind of past performance, the fact that they're not bending over backwards to show us "baby, come back to me! I can change!" is a rather telling sign in & of itself.

Nyaoku

Jan 7, 2012
I'm just gonna pass on this system then ... So far I've barely seen a good selection of games for the regular PSP and this thing's not getting the best publicity on earth.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I find it hilariously amusing that everybody in this thread admits to one of the following.

1. Never having owned a PSP
2. Never owning a UMD or
3. Never wanting a PSV in the first place.

Why are you even here? If you fit into any of the three categories above, your opinion on the matter is moot. I'll be picking up my PSV tomorrow and I will enjoy the hell out of it. Just like I have enjoyed my PSP for all these years.

Oh and guess what? These several dozen UMDs I own? Know what I'm gonna do with them? I'll just play them on my PSP when I feel like playing them. Because you know why? I have a god damn brain and don't throw a ***** fit over backwards compatibility.

Fucking whiners.

ZexionSephiroth said:
3. Japanese language games are not sold on the Playstation network. (Edit: in Australia)
Problem is easily solved by signing up to the Japanese PSN. Or whatever they call it now. I've been a member for years and have been DLing my games digitally from there for a long time now. Just be warned that you can only attach a single PSN account to a single Vita at this point in time.
If you don't mind my asking, which game are you looking forward to? I just ordered Tales of Innocence and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
I'm just gonna say it again. Fuck sony, and all the bullshit they pull.
They are slowly removing any customer consideration they ever provided, and ultimately destroying my personal willingness to continue to purchase their products.

Between shoddy electronics, a clear willingness to fuck their consumer base in levels fast approaching EA-like proportion, and ruining any IP i have an interest in, I forsee my PS3 being the last sony system I purchase.

thankfully, i'm unaffected by this specific dickery, as I fortunate enough to realize nothing on the psp was worth playing anyway.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds reasonable.

Not that it matters to the haters. Haters will hate regardless what Sony does, even if they give a good explanation why they do so.