Google Shipping HUD-Enabled Glasses This Year

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Google Shipping HUD-Enabled Glasses This Year

Google has quietly been working on glasses that can display location-specific information over your vision in real time.

Seeing the world through the red-tinted information-rich eyes of the Terminator seems like one of those sci-fi gadgets that would never happen like rocket cars, breakfast pills, and Oakley's "Thump 2" model [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113717-Quantum-Levitation-The-Coolest-Science-Youll-See-Today] but with one significant addition: the lenses are transparent screens that overlay information gleaned from the internet and a built-in GPS. The glasses even support a user interface for navigating through information that utilizes head tilts and nods. According to Google employees, the set will cost about as much as a current smartphone does, anywhere from $250 to $600.

The glasses will run a version of Android, no surprise there. A small camera will take pictures like a normal phone, but will be essential for the information overlays. Voice input and output are also a part of the deal so you'll be able to make phone calls with the glasses if you chose and only look like half the idiot still using a creepy Bluetooth headset.

Be warned, all this news comes from a blogger named Seth Weintraub who claims anonymous Google employees as his source and isn't officially substantiated by Google in any way. Still, if half of what Weintraub says is true, these glasses will be awesome.

Kenny Powers needs to get a pair, stat.

Source: 9 to 5 Google [http://9to5google.com/2012/02/06/hud-google-glasses-are-real-and-they-are-coming-soon/]

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Obligatory

Seriously though, I'd totally buy that. Probably second or third generation, but still. Sounds fantastic.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I read this the day after I beat Deus Ex for the first time. It's far to tempting to make a "My vision is augmented" joke. But I won't, because I have restraint.

As much as I love the idea of these things, I tend to break sunglasses. So this isn't something I'd get. What a shame.

nyttyn

Sep 9, 2008
CM156 said:
I read this the day after I beat Deus Ex for the first time. It's far to tempting to make a "My vision is augmented" joke. But I won't, because I have restraint.
Unlike you, I don't have restraint.

MY VISION IS AUGMENTED

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
SHUTTUP AND TAKE MY MON-Awww, someone already said it.
But seriously, this is effing awesome. I would like this, and I would like this tomorrow.
Hear me Google, you have 1 day to perfect, test, and ship these to me.

Or the consequences could be dire! Like an angry tweet!

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
Greg Tito said:
Be warned, all this news comes from a blogger named Seth Weintraub who claims anonymous Google employees as his source and isn't officially substantiated by Google in any way. Still, if half of what Weintraub says is true, these glasses will be awesome.
GREG TITO!!

How many times have told you not to get your gaming and awesome technology information from strangers?

Bad Tito!!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I'll let the early adopters take this one. Don't get me wrong... I want this. But I don't want to wear glasses that look anything like the Thump. Let me know when I can have the tech built into these:

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Hmm, I really want these, unfortunately, thanks to my glasses I'll probably never be able to wear them. Now if they released a prescription lens for it, then you'd be talking my language.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I was really excited when I first heard about these things, but the more I look into it, the less cool they look.

They're more of a half-assed proof of concept than a great new technology. Hopefully they'll get it right eventually though.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Doesn't that mean the title of the article should have the big "RUMOUR" sticker attached? Or at least qualify it by saying "Google MIGHT Ship HUD-Enabled Glasses This Year". It would help stop wishy-washy fools like me getting all giddy when we see something this awesome in the news feed.

To be honest, I'm a little uneasy about rumours being reported as news in the first place, but I appreciate that you guys want to be there at the beginning of these things, and they are usually interesting reads anyway. At the very least, I know I can just ignore an article if it's just a rumour, rather than fantasising for a good 15 minutes about a pair of HUD glasses before I actually start reading, only to find out at the bottom of the article that the source is some obscure blogger claiming to be tight within the Google tech employee circle (regardless of how legitimate the claims sound).

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
Valanthe said:
Hmm, I really want these, unfortunately, thanks to my glasses I'll probably never be able to wear them. Now if they released a prescription lens for it, then you'd be talking my language.
Much as it means more money, this is why contacts were invented. Now, call me back when HUD-overlay contacts are a real thing.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
does this mean i can download a halo style screen app when i play airsoft?

WANT!!!!! WANT WANT WANT FUCKING WANT!!!!!

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
I never asked for this.
So many Deus Ex jokes in this thread, I don't think the code can cope!!

OP : Cool, but I bet it won't work as well as the ones in all the movies and such.... not that I want to be a killjoy or anything.

chinlamp

Mar 10, 2009
YES! AUGMENTED REALITY!

We are getting closer to the day the corporations take over and I can finally start Shadowrunning.

EDIT: Wait... really? I'm the only one who made the Shadowrun connection? These are the sunglasses you buy out of the damn core rulebook.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
nyttyn said:
CM156 said:
Unlike you, I don't have restraint.

MY VISION IS AUGMENTED
You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of posting Deus Ex jokes, but I've got nerves of steel.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
chinlamp said:
YES! AUGMENTED REALITY!

We are getting closer to the day the corporations take over and I can finally start Shadowrunning.

EDIT: Wait... really? I'm the only one who made the Shadowrun connection? These are the sunglasses you buy out of the damn core rulebook.
street samurai's unite ! though the last time i saw that rule book was hmm well i was in school so about 25 years ago. is it still going? really liked the universe myself

chinlamp

Mar 10, 2009
zumbledum said:
chinlamp said:
YES! AUGMENTED REALITY!

street samurai's unite ! though the last time i saw that rule book was hmm well i was in school so about 25 years ago. is it still going? really liked the universe myself
I was talking about the 4th edition rulebook. AR is everywhere in 2070 (current year for Shadowrun is 2073), because of the wireless Matrix.

Shadowrun is still going strong, it's just that a lack of any sort of marketing compared to other RPG's doesn't help people who didn't play previous editions know about it.

And, personally, I prefer playing a drone rigger or a decker (now just called hackers) to being a Sammy.