Not Wanting a Girlfriend is a "Serious Illness"

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Not Wanting a Girlfriend is a "Serious Illness"

Don't want a girlfriend? This researcher thinks you may be ill. And no, your waifu does not count.

Japan's birth rate is in the pits. People just aren't doing the nasty, at least, not in ways that produce children. As a result, Japan's birth rate is declining rapidly, despite government-run programs designed to teach people to date [http://www.japanator.com/japan-tries-to-teach-people-how-to-date-and-reproduce-22087.phtml]. If the current trend continues, by 2050 Japan's population will have shrunk 20%, and the elderly will make up 50% of those that remain, presumably leading to some kind of nightmarish, apocalyptic future where gangs of octogenarians stalk the streets of Tokyo on their mobility scooters, hunting teenagers with nets and tridents.

Part of the blame for the lowered birth rate has been laid on the nerdy trifecta of anime, manga and gaming, which several critics have accused of turning virile young men into unhealthy shut-ins, unable to interact with women old-fashioned three dimensional women. Recent comments from Tomonori Morikawa, who studies relationships at Waseda University, seem aimed that particular group.

"If [one] begins thinking, 'I can't get a girlfriend, but that's not big deal,' that is a serious illness," he writes. "One of the symptoms was to erase the gap between one's dreams and one's reality."

"You really want a someone to love. But in reality, you cannot," continued the professor. "However, if you brush that off and use the excuse that you don't want a girlfriend, then you're trying to ease your serious heartbreak."

And now, because I can't get through this entire piece without at least one marginally offensive joke: Symptoms of the disease include poor dress sense, enlargement of the bank account and hand cramps.

Source and translation courtesy of: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5887211/researcher-not-wanting-a-girlfriend-is-an-illness]

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
I have learnt from The World God Only Knows that 2D girls are all I need in life.

Edit: That picture on the Kotaku page is hilarious.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
i just had a brilliant idea, I am going to start a new company where men can pay women for all the relationship needs: keeping company, a +1 for social events, and of course sex. Don't try to rip me off I'm going to patent this right away

In regards to the article: LOL WUT

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Well Asexuals are totally screwed then....

Somehow that statement defeats itself....

Also, Gays are in trouble. But that's not new. Oh, and the first paragraph of this news-piece is pure awesome, you should totally sell that idea to Hollywood and make a total fortune.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
*blinks*

Well guys, looks like I'll be calling up work sick tomorrow.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Maybe it has something to do with the total lack of living space, privacy and borderline toxic air quality in Japanese cities.

Smog damages lung capacity and blood flow... just sayin'

Of course, these problems are insignificant compared to videogames and Naruto box sets.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Orange12345 said:
i just had a brilliant idea, I am going to start a new company where men can pay women for all the relationship needs: keeping company, a +1 for social events, and of course sex. Don't try to rip me off I'm going to patent this right away.
Unlucky mate, it's already been done, see "Mail-order brides" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail-order_bride].

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
In my experience, the absence of a relationship was due to chicks going for the douche bags, not from my lack of trying. After a while you start feeling indifferent. Unfortunately I'm in that age range where woman are, for lack of a better term, "growing up".

I live in a town filled with gweedos (However the hell you spell that). I swear it's like Jersey Shore her sometimes.

I love how they automatically attribute the inability to get a girlfriend to being a shut in caused by interests in video games/anime etc. Because that's all the stuff does right? There couldn't possibly be any other reason for someone to be a "shut in".

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
This seems like an inversion of cause-and-effect. For over a decade Japanese women have been eschewing dating in favour of pursuing careers and autonomy...which has left men with no one to date, so the men have found ways(healthy and unhealthy) to make peace with that.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
I don't have a girlfriend, but that's no big deal.

According to the Japanese, i'm ill.

According to American teenagers, i'm a nerd.

According to my friends, i'm a weird, shut-in w**ker.

Oh well. At least I have disposable income, a car, a property and free time.

Unlike many people of my age, I grew up. I understand that one needs to be a realist and needs to work towards building a stable and independent life, which dating would quite frankly ruin. I don't understand why girls feel the need to go out with some arse just "Because" and guys feel the need to wear Polo or Checkered shirts and stick their hair in spikes to attract females. It's stupid and fatuous.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I kind of knew this years ago from this documentry. While I don't know if this still happening today but the Otaku aren't solely to be blamed. It was something like the women have little interest with real guys in general as they're more into bishōnen and yaoi characters aswell.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
JoJo said:
Orange12345 said:
i just had a brilliant idea, I am going to start a new company where men can pay women for all the relationship needs: keeping company, a +1 for social events, and of course sex. Don't try to rip me off I'm going to patent this right away.
Unlucky mate, it's already been done, see "Mail-order brides" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail-order_bride].
Son of a *****, I thought I was being so original to

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Does that mean bigamists are really healthy?

And, god forbid I bring this into it, but are girls to have any say in this?
Sadly, Japanese society still hasn't completely caught up yet when it comes to gender equality.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
But... think of the gays!

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Does that mean bigamists are really healthy?
Yes. Extra crunchy too, but that is neither here nor there.
QtheMuse said:
Well I wonder then if Harems can get reinstated in japan. BREED ALL THE WOMENZ!!
Once again, yes. This is the only proper response.

Dec 14, 2009
And that's why the Japanese hates otakus.

Social shut-ins will wipe them out, then where will we get Final Fantasy games from?

[sub]On second thought...[/sub]

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Oh, great. So if my work and my studies eat up most of my time and that what little brain power I have left, I happen to choose to spend on books and videogames - then I'm sick?

Thank you, Japanese sociologists, for grossly over-simplifying everyday life. I hate the dating scene as it smacks of pure hypocrisy in my opinion and I generally hate wide-open parties. I'm quite happy with my handful of friends, and I'm not so emotionally deprived as to think that some arbitrarily "kawaii" character of the female persuasion is my girlfriend.

This is one of these news stories where you just have to shake your head and move on.

RonHiler

Sep 16, 2004
Given that the population of the planet just hit 7 billion, and we can't sustain that many people, I can't help but wonder why this isn't considered a good thing. Maybe we should distribute games, anime, and manga to everyone and perhaps we could drop the entire planet population by 20% by 2050.