Schwarzenegger and Yee Unapologetic for Failed Supreme Court Battle

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Schwarzenegger and Yee Unapologetic for Failed Supreme Court Battle

The law banning sale of violent games to minors in California ended up costing $1.8 million but the law's makers don't care.

We all rejoiced when the have to foot the bill for the legal costs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111300-Supreme-Court-Rules-in-Favor-of-Videogames] associated with defended the law - which will total $1.8 million when you factor in $500,000 of the state Attorney General office's own man-hours - but Yee and those in former Governor Schwarzenegger's inner circle are not sorry for pushing the law forward to the highest court in the land, despite legal counsel that it would never be upheld and the fact that two lesser courts had already overturned the law. Those involved believe they were justified in spending California's money during the financial crisis of 2009.

"I felt it was important that the state take an active role in protecting kids, because that's our responsibility," said Leland Yee, now a State Senator.

The decision to appeal the District Court's ruling and bring this case before the Supreme Court ultimately landed on the Governator's desk. "It was an important issue to the governor," said one of Schwarzenegger's legal advisers, Andrea Hoch. "It was something he felt strongly about."

"I think we felt the issue was so important that it warranted the costs associated with it," said Jim Humes for the Attorney General at the time, Jerry Brown. Brown is the current governor of California.

These individuals felt their crusade to deprive young children of violent games was worth $1.8 million. What do you think? Was it worth it?

Source: Sacramento Bee [http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/19/4274796/failed-legal-fight-over-video.html#storylink=cpy]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This is just another fine example of idealism getting in the way of rational thought. Seriously, state governments (much less California's) do not have the money to throw around like this. Welcome to the US, where we elect people to waste our money on bullshit.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
On the one hand I actually do support that law. I think that selling R18 items to minors should result in government punishment.
However as they were already told it would not pass and as it had already been shot down twice already they were just wasting tax payer money so should be forced to foot the bill themselves.
Fuckers get paid more than enough as it is.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fappy said:
This is just another fine example of idealism getting in the way of rational thought. Seriously, state governments (much less California's) do not have the money to throw around like this. Welcome to the US, where we elect people to waste our money on bullshit.
Bad fath bullshit, too, since they knew it was unlikely to be smiled upon by the Supreme Court.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
I really fucking hate my government.

That's it. I really don't have anything else to say. I really fucking hate everyone who runs the legislation that my country somehow manages to survive off of. That is all.

Just keeping everyone updated.

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
Sure, it's worth that amount of money. If they offered to pay it themselves, that is. If they seriously expect the American people to pay, then they can go rot in hell.

LadyDeadly

Mar 5, 2011
No its cool. Its not like they had to spend money on the economy or on the failing infrastructure or on job creation or on the major blow just taken on the citrus industry from unstable weather or on the protection of endangered species.

nope.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Sure, they may think it's all fine and dandy but I'm betting the taxpayers of California don't think so.

"I felt it was important that the state take an active role in protecting kids, because that's our responsibility," said Leland Yee, now a State Senator.
No, Mr. Yee it isn't your responsibility. It's the responsibility of the dumbass parents who can't be bothered to know what their children are playing. They'd rather have all "inappropriate" games banned than take 20 seconds to look at the back of a game box and see what its rated and what content is in it.
Look I get it, being a parent is a hard goddamn job, but do you really want the government to do that job for you? Would you next like them to start enforcing a nationally mandated bedtime for all people under 18?

And now because you had to "protect" the people who were too stupid to do their jobs as parents, the entire state of California has to pay for it.

Way to go.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
RatRace123 said:
Sure, they may think it's all fine and dandy but I'm betting the taxpayers of California don't think so.

No, Mr. Yee it isn't your responsibility. It's the responsibility of the dumbass parents who can't be bothered to know what their children are playing. They'd rather have all "inappropriate" games banned than take 20 seconds to look at the back of a game box and see what its rated and what content is in it.
Look I get it, being a parent is a hard goddamn job, but do you really want the government to do that job for you? Would you next like them to start enforcing a nationally mandated bedtime for all people under 18?

And now because you had to "protect" the people who were too stupid to do their jobs as parents, the entire state of California has to pay for it.

Way to go.
WHY CAN'T I LIKE COMMENTS LIKE THIS PURE AWESOME ONE HERE!!!

Sucks I'm moving there soon.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Greg Tito said:
These individuals felt their crusade to deprive young children of violent games was worth $1.8 million. What do you think? Was it worth it?
Lets see...

Short Answer: NO!

Long Answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Explanation: Current system is excellent, their idea could possibly have destroyed a medium that makes millions and is a major form of entertainment and art, gained them little politically, for multiple reasons, and cost them almost 2 million in a down economy, some of which is going to pay for the EMA's legal fees.

To Wrap Up: Whole saga should probably be branded with the Escapist's "Officially Certified A Bad Idea" Badge.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
I still don't get what was so wrong with that Bill, I mean, let's say we have a movie, Commando for example, should we let 10 year olds buy and watch that? (admittedly I don't think it would cause any damage but whatever). Why is it any different if it involves games?

I don't know, in the UK retailers can't sell R18 games or films to minors (not that that stops them from playing/seeing them) and we aren't artistically bankrupt. But I don't know how it works in America. Do you let 12 year-olds go to the cinema and watch the latest Saw movie?

That was a laughable waste of money though, no argument here.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
...really?....they're still trying to defend this?....seriously?....in regard to the cost I'm in agreement with what I assume is the general concensus, if it was that damn important to them there was no reason they couldn't pay for it themselves

also

RatRace123 said:

Way to go.
this

Feb 13, 2008

It's not just me seeing this, is it?

Maybe this is the new plot for Star Trek 2, where the Binars have come to Earth to enslave us with their video games?

I-Protest-I

Nov 7, 2009
"It was an important issue to the governor," said one of Schwarzenegger's legal advisers, Andrea Hoch. "It was something he felt strongly about."

My god woman that statement hurt my brain.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Bobic said:
I don't know, in the UK retailers can't sell R18 games or films to minors (not that that stops them from playing/seeing them) and we aren't artistically bankrupt. But I don't know how it works in America. Do you let 12 year-olds go to the cinema and watch the latest Saw movie?
The theaters (and retailers) self-regulate, and the ratings boards are industry bodies. It works so well that a lot of people actually think it is legally enforced.

The problem with the law (besides the opinion that it simply isn't the government's place to regulate speech) is that no other form of media is subject to such legislation, and singling out video games would be effectively declaring that freedom of speech doesn't apply to them.
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I think you might just be a bit racist.

Feb 13, 2008
Aidinthel said:
I think you might just be a bit racist.
Comparing a Californian born to Japanese parents, to a Chinese man who moved to California?

That's really not racism.

Look at their poise, their haircut, their eyebrows, their hair colour...

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Aidinthel said:
Bobic said:
The theaters (and retailers) self-regulate, and the ratings boards are industry bodies. It works so well that a lot of people actually think it is legally enforced.

The problem with the law (besides the opinion that it simply isn't the government's place to regulate speech) is that no other form of media is subject to such legislation, and singling out video games would be effectively declaring that freedom of speech doesn't apply to them.
I don't see where free speech comes into it. They aren't saying 'you aren't allowed to swear and depict graphic events' they're saying 'kids aren't allowed to hear swears and see graphic events'. Sure, it's unfair to single out games, but crying out 'freedom of speech!' is just deliberately sensationalist, just like all the cries of Freedom and Communism that American's are parodied for.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
If memory serves, I had to pull out proof when I bought New Vegas at Gamestop. When I was 16, I was at Walmart with Granny and she had to OK it with the clerk before I could buy Oblivion. I'm pretty sure that law was fairly pointless. Then again, I may be missing bits *shrug*