Valve Quiz Awards Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Beta Keys

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Valve Quiz Awards Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Beta Keys

Take a quick survey on Steam about your Counter-Strike knowledge (no cheating!) and you could be playing Global Offensive before your friends.

Valve has revealed via the official Counter-Strike blog that its next wave of community beta keys for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive will be doled out according to the results of a new survey. According to the site, "if you don't fill out, you won't be getting a key."

While the questions test players' knowledge of the series, Valve explains that there are "no wrong answers." Over the coming months, it will be awarding keys from completed surveys, but not necessarily to those who did "best."

"Sometimes we might add experienced players, other times new players," the blog explains. "Sometimes 1.6 players, sometimes CSS players, sometimes people who have played neither."

Basically, if you don't know something, don't bother Googling it. It seems you have the same chance, be you CS champ or chump.

The first selections begin sometime next week, so if you're interested, you should fill one of these applications out soon. You can find the survey here, [steam://takesurvey/2/] though, you'll need Steam to open it. Players able to join the beta will also be given gift keys to share with friends, earned by completing CS:GO quick matches.

Source: The Official Counter-Strike Blog [http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2012/02/survey/]

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Already filled one out and hoping for a key. CS is the only FPS online game I've played consistently for nearly 10 years.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
sunami88 said:
Hell and yes. Fingers crossed, I'm really excited about this game.
You and me both. I've been hankering for an actual skill-based online competitive shooter for some time now and Call of Duty just isn't my cup of tea. (nor skill based)

Thing is, I grew tired of the whole competitive scene. I used to do CAL/CEVO matches of CS:S and L4D, but the player base was often obnoxious and offensive. Then the games that came after just got boring. So here's hoping Valve makes a solid, contemporary version of the classic CS formula, because I can see myself getting back into it. (if I ever find the time)

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
As an utter newcomer to the series (played only 11 hours of Source) I am also interested to earn a spot in trialling a new game. Hey, the good guys need people to kill right?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
As a guy whose teen years were dominated by counter-strike, I am a bit worried about CS:GO. From watching the videos of some pros playing it really doesn't seem like CS:GO is really a huge revamp of the series. From what I've heard, it seems like it will debut at $30.
I don't know if people are really going to pay for what looks like to be a few tweaks and a graphics overhaul.
I honestly think Valve kind of missed the FPS boat, I think that Modern Warefare ended up being what valve should've done to progress the series.

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
Ive been playing the Beta for a few months (scored a beta code from a random on a forum, WOO internet) now and OH MY GOD ITS EMPTY.
Seriously, unless this quiz also ties in to a massive update to the beta there is:
1 game mode (defuse)
1 map (dust2, although dust1 can be played offline)
3 rifles
2 pistols
all throws (which is nice)
and one smg.
(or something close to that)

So unless theres been a HUGE update, you may as well play source.
Its nice to see the new art in action though, ill give it that.

EDIT: and alas, I eat my words. They added some new arty stuff and new menus as well as one rifle, a shotgun and a bunch of new maps.
I guess theyre FINALLY starting the beta.

AsurasFinest

Oct 26, 2010
Rednog said:
As a guy whose teen years were dominated by counter-strike, I am a bit worried about CS:GO. From watching the videos of some pros playing it really doesn't seem like CS:GO is really a huge revamp of the series. From what I've heard, it seems like it will debut at $30.
I don't know if people are really going to pay for what looks like to be a few tweaks and a graphics overhaul.
I honestly think Valve kind of missed the FPS boat, I think that Modern Warefare ended up being what valve should've done to progress the series.
Umm this is actually exactly what they want. Any major overhalls to the CS system would ruin the very large competitive scene
Noone wants the playstyle of COD which requires no skill and no teamwork. I don't even like CS but I know for a fact that the entire game is intensive on fps skills

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Great! Time to give it a go. CS:S was my second big online addiction, the first being UT99, and damn did I spend a lot of hours on that game. I wonder whether CS:GO will be a worthy sequel.
Vigormortis said:
Call of Duty just isn't my cup of tea. (nor skill based)
That I absolutely beg to differ. Steam had that MW3 promotion last weekend so I decided to give it a spin. I hadn't played CoD in a while but I was pretty good at Black Ops. In my first match, without any unlocks or whatever, I topped the score list. If a newbie can beat experienced players like that, that to me is proof that a game is skill based.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Great! Time to give it a go. CS:S was my second big online addiction, the first being UT99, and damn did I spend a lot of hours on that game. I wonder whether CS:GO will be a worthy sequel.
Vigormortis said:
That I absolutely beg to differ. Steam had that MW3 promotion last weekend so I decided to give it a spin. I hadn't played CoD in a while but I was pretty good at Black Ops. In my first match, without any unlocks or whatever, I topped the score list. If a newbie can beat experienced players like that, that to me is proof that a game is skill based.
Wouldn't a newbie beating experience players back up the theory that the game lacks skill? I mean, no offense, but I doubt you're a CoD pro. So that means if new players can jump in and beat older players who are experienced that I would have to assume skill isn't hugely required.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Itsthefuzz said:
Wouldn't a newbie beating experience players back up the theory that the game lacks skill? I mean, no offense, but I doubt you're a CoD pro. So that means if new players can jump in and beat older players who are experienced that I would have to assume skill isn't hugely required.
Pro? No, but I'm pretty damn experienced with CoD, and shooters in general. What I'm trying to say is; despite all the unlocks and not knowing the maps, someone who is just starting the game can still excel at the game. My skills, as in knowing what to do and reaction speeds, won the day. Not overpowered high-level weapons or insane killstreaks.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
While the questions test players' knowledge of the series, Valve explains that there are "no wrong answers." Over the coming months, it will be awarding keys from completed surveys, but not necessarily to those who did "best."

"Sometimes we might add experienced players, other times new players," the blog explains. "Sometimes 1.6 players, sometimes CSS players, sometimes people who have played neither."

Basically, if you don't know something, don't bother Googling it. It seems you have the same chance, be you CS champ or chump.
I'm glad I went to the trouble of reading this article despite the title, because I have never played Counter-Strike before. I ended up filling out the quiz just in case they need a few more noobs.

I don't really get the mentality behind making this game, though. People keep saying it's little more than a graphical update, and seeing how they're still on the exact same engine, how can the game really even claim to be that? More detailed props and textures maybe, but that's the opposite of what people in the competitive scene ? the people they seem to be trying to pander to the most ? want since it just means slower framerates.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Itsthefuzz said:
Pro? No, but I'm pretty damn experienced with CoD, and shooters in general. What I'm trying to say is; despite all the unlocks and not knowing the maps, someone who is just starting the game can still excel at the game. My skills, as in knowing what to do and reaction speeds, won the day. Not overpowered high-level weapons or insane killstreaks.
I guess that's the difference to what I assumed you meant. I still view CoD as less skill based because, regardless of the weapons, anyone can do well because there isn't a huge learning curve to the game. So someone who's average at shooters like you can jump in and beat players who've been playing with the game and it's system. For example: Players who are really good at fighting games can't just pick up another fighting game and be the best at it right away. They can be good, because some of the skills transfer, but skills for that specific game are still different in multiple aspects. Since you can play one CoD and go to another and be great either means that it lacks skill or is basically the same game. I'm guessing it's a mix of both.

TLDR you view the advantage of playing the game as perks + guns while I see the advantage as being used to that particular game.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Cowabungaa said:
Vigormortis said:
Any competitive game will require some skill. And, the players with more skill will generally do better than those without.

My point was (though worded poorly) Call of Duty tends to reward players who spend more time with the game then those who actually play the game more skillfully. Sure, it still takes good hand-eye coordination and fast reflexes, but in the end, someone who's spent a long time with the game, regardless of skill, will stand a much better chance against someone who is good but hasn't been playing long. This is because Call of Duty tends to give the long-time players more rewards like "perks" and better weapons that essentially give the player an advantage over the other players. So they stand a better chance of winning, even if they're not playing any better.

On the surface, this sounds great. But, in a competitive fashion, it's terrible as it simply rewards devotion and repetition instead of rewarding those that actually train themselves to be better at the game.

So, while having "skill" at the game can help, Call of Duty isn't what I'd call "skill-based". Whereas, with Counter-Strike, to do well you have to actually get better. You can spend years playing it but unless you teach yourself to react faster, aim better, and think more strategically with your team, you won't play any better than you did day one. (map memorization aside, of course) So, in that sense, all players, regardless of play time or experience, enter into the match on an even playing field.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
I really hope the game will be similar to 1.6 (in gameplay)

Btw (Imo) you do not need skill for cod, you only need reflexes and use akimbo.