Bigpoint Announces Game of Thrones MMO

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Bigpoint Announces Game of Thrones MMO

Winter sure seems to be coming a lot this year.

Bigpoint, the developer behind the recent Battlestar Galactica browser-based MMO, is currently at work on a free-to-play title based on the ever-popular Game of Thrones series. Though set to be browser-based, the MMO will use the proprietary Unity Engine, a 3-D game-authoring tool already used in some Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games. A release date has not yet been announced, but Bigpoint will be meeting with "select journalists" at the upcoming Game Developers Conference March 7-9 to showcase parts of the game and discuss recent developments.

Not much is known about the mechanics of the game aside from what little can be inferred from the idea that it will run in an internet browser and the sole available screenshot shown above. What is known, however, is that the game is to be developed from the television series on HBO, not the books. This might seem like too fine a distinction at present, however, as the show progresses, HBO will be taking the characters and story slowly farther from the source material for time considerations. It can be assumed that the game, being licensed from HBO, will do the same.

"The creation of a Game of Thrones online role-playing game is a perfect natural extension to the series," said the series' executive producer David Benioff. "The show has resonated extremely well with fans so we think they will be terribly excited to have an opportunity to be personally immersed in all the action"

"As a gamer I couldn't be happier seeing the series translated to this medium and can't wait to play it," added Benioff's production partner, D.B. Weiss.

Most of the planning and early development apparently began in the Summer of 2011, so it's possible that the game could be done in time to coincide with Season 2 of the television series, premiering April 1st. There's also Atlus's upcoming Game of Thrones RPG to consider, which will arrive for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 one month later in May.

You can find the GoT MMO's home here [http://www.gameofthronesmmo.com/], though there's little to be found there at present, save a picture of three House banners (Lannister, Stark, and Baratheon), and the chance to sign up for a newsletter which will undoubtedly provide you with any future news should you so desire it.

Source: The Sacramento Bee [http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/29/4300026/bigpoint-to-give-sneak-peek-of.html]

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
The problem here is that there may be magic but no spells are cast. Also you can only be Human so I feel that Game of Thrones is too limited for an MMO.

Can't wait for season 2 however.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Because "Game of Thrones" hasn't ever been as barely popular as it is now so force yourself on that untapped cow and sink your money-thirsty fangs deep into her succulent pink udder, you tired inspiration-less unfuckable video game company market researchers.

Sorry. Tired of seeing time and effort being wasted on milk jobs.

GrimGrimoire

Aug 11, 2011
As a great fan of the books, who also finds the series quite good, I can't say that I'm looking forwards to this. Not that much anyway. Battlestar Galactica Online is pretty good, and I think that the the universe might be large and varied enough for an MMO.
But I still think that it would be better off purely based on the book, perhaps borrowing artstyle and such from the series.
I also wonder when they would set the story? The War of the Five Kings might fit, but I would rather have it set before the books, in the age of the Mad King, perhaps developing a independent storyline and world.

While I don't think this will end well, I most certainly hope for a good MMO.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Mike Kayatta said:
"The creation of a Game of Thrones online role-playing game is a perfect natural extension to the series," said the series' executive producer David Benioff.
Disagreeing Toombs disagrees. He is far from sure that Game of Thrones would make even a halfway decent MMO. I could be wrong, but it would seem to go against the main flavor of the series.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Another MMO for World of Warcraft or TOR to beat into the ground.

Also

Hasn't George R.R. Martin, or whoever handles his license, ever heard of over-saturating? I mean, seriously, there is only so much seriously grisly and depressing fantasy that people can put up with.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Terminate421 said:
Also you can only be Human so I feel that Game of Thrones is too limited for an MMO.
I would have to disagree on this. Actually GoT brings something sorely lacking in MMOs since everquest. Factions. Having 7 different factions to side with sort of negates the need of having "races". Factions can offer just as much division and diversity as physical traits can.

However, I doubt it would be good or even take off. Honestly. the entire MMO market is oversaturated. Last thing we need is yet another middle of the road MMOs that does nothing to expand or enhance the genre. So unless there is some sort of logical hook that makes GoT offer something massively unique to MMOs (and given Galacticas gameplay, there is no real indication there would be.) then really there is no real reason for another.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
If it's free-to-play, might as well check it out... and also make "house words" jokes. :p

Baratheon: "Ours Is The Aggro"
Greyjoy: "We Do Not Grind"
Arryn: "As High As Level Cap"
Stark: "Update Is Coming"

dobahci

Jan 25, 2012
Kimarous said:
Brilliant.

I'll probably try this new MMO, it being free-to-play and all, but it's probably just going to be another mediocre attempt to milk the ASOIAF cow.

vrbtny said:
I mean, seriously, there is only so much seriously grisly and depressing fantasy that people can put up with.
Well, one of the things about the book series is that, yeah, there's plenty of grisly and depressing, but there's also tons of humor in there as well. And plenty of cunning political intrigue. And there's the overall underlying theme of underdogs and children surviving while the big burly powerful men get killed off early.

With the TV series, they slimmed down most of that and removed practically all of the humor (except for the occasional comedic gem from the mouth of Peter Dinklage), so you're basically just left with grisly and depressing, which is a bit unfortunate. It's really just one aspect of what the stories were about.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Well, the source material is good, and Unity is an amazing engine, but short of the Holy Ghost coming down and showing Bigpoint the game, i don't see how they would manage to make something that wouldn't dissapoint the gamer fans of the series or lure any non casual gamer.

Also, holy CRAP, how in the world did they aquired the IP? Their executives must be quite skilled at the very least.

Mrmac23

Aug 12, 2011
Kimarous said:
If it's free-to-play, might as well check it out... and also make "house words" jokes. :p

Lannister: "Hear Me Rage!"

-----

If they can pull this off effectively, then by god will i love this game. If not, a ton of people are going to be disappointed.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Kimarous said:

Targaryen: "Fire and XP"

I'm trying to come up with something for Tully and Martell but nothing springs to mind. All I've got is

Tully: "Guild, Duty, Honour"

and

Martell: "Unbowed, Unbent, Unspawncamped"

But I'm not very happy with them.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Hawk of Battle said:
Kimarous said:

I'm trying to come up with something for Tully and Martell but nothing springs to mind. All I've got is

and

Yeah, did something similar with Tully but wasn't very pleased.

Though how about for Martell...

Martell: "Unpatched, Unbalanced, Unnerfed"

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Kimarous said:
Hawk of Battle said:
Kimarous said:

and

Yeah, did something similar with Tully but wasn't very pleased.

Though how about for Martell...

Martell: "Unpatched, Unbalanced, Unnerfed"
Love the Martell, but I'd go with "Nerf is Coming" for house Stark. Patch is just too positive.
House Lannister "Hear me QQ"

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
Sleekit said:
JoshTheREfan said:
And then WoW crushed this game with its mighty little toe.
just because other games are smaller does not mean they don't find an audience and turn a profit.

its a genre in an entertainment medium not a knock out fighting tournament or something and you do yourself no favours framing it as such.

the MMO market is vast and diverse even with WoW in it and if you are so blinded that you cannot see past one game in a genre...well for one thing you're missing out on a lot of good games...and some great ones.
Dude that was a joking little statement and I honestly don't play these games, though I do understand it has an audience. Either way chill out, there's no point in getting flustered on the internet. Well unless your on 4chan 'shudders'