Rumors Swirl Over SimCity 5 Announcement Next Week

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Rumors Swirl Over SimCity 5 Announcement Next Week

A Maxis developer told a German gaming magazine about Maxis' plans to announce SimCity 5 for a 2013 release.

Among the pantheon of classic games, Will Wright's SimCity ranks up there with Civilization, Ultima and Wolfenstein 3d for me. Building a city from scratch and watching it grow was a lot more fun than it sounded, and then you got to throw tornadoes and dinosaurs at your fragile little city. Fun! While I didn't have as much to do with the sequels, the franchise has had a long and storied history complete with reboots and facelifts (SimCity 300). Wright's company has been busy with Spore and its darker brethren lately, but according to an interview with Maxis Vice President Lucy Bradshaw given to a German gaming magazine called GameStar and reported by Rincón del Simmer (rinconsimmer.jimdo.com), Maxis is currently developing SimCity 5 using a new engine called "Glassbox".

The interview is translated from German to Spanish to English, so there will be a little bit of specificity lost. Nevertheless, Bradshaw mentioned that the new Glassbox engine will have built-in multiplayer, roads that won't have to follow straight lines, and upgrade-able buildings. She nixxed the idea of importing your house from The Sims into your city, however.

[gallery=655]

Further evidence to suggest a large announcement will be coming in the next week, Maxis and EA is running a panel at GDC next week called "Inside the GlassBox". I'd imagine they would discuss the uses for such an engine at said panel. A senior PR manager at EA also Tweeeted last week [https://twitter.com/#!/buzzspinner/status/169984201985232896] that a major Maxis-related announcement was incoming soon.

All signs point to a SimCity 5 on the horizon. Get your natural disasters ready.

Source: Gamespot [http://rinconsimmer.jimdo.com/2012/02/27/simcity-2013-reportaje-de-gamestar-7-im%C3%A1genes/]

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
My... My balls... I literally can't wait. Cities XL wasn't really the sort of game to take over the helm of Sim City 4's flagship. It had a good try, but no bacon.

I can't freaking wait... Did I mention I can't freaking wait?

Also, I hope this revives the more ambitious Sim titles. If it's anything like the travesty of Sim City societies, I won't even look at this franchise again. Same reaction if this is an origin exclusive.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
This is one of those games that could end up being a disaster for EA if they decide to go crazy with restrictions. Maxis is one of the few company's under EA that has to some extent retained the ability to make decisions for themselves concerning release. I still wonder who they have something on.

If they make it Origin only, however painful it may be. I'll have to let it go.

Colinmac93

Mar 20, 2011
I liked the first Simcity and the iPhone game, so I'm really looking forward to this one.
Just as long as it doesn't end up like Societies, then I'll be happy.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I'd love for them to bring back all the other Sim titles, I really liked Sim Safari and Sim Park and Simtown and Sim Ants, LOVED Sim Theme Park

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
For some reason, the pictures in the slide (that I'm guessing are screenshots from a Sim City 5 production beta) seem almost... distasteful... to me. I have no idea why exactly, but some of those pictures seem almost cartoonish... and I don't like cartoonish in my strategy and city building games.

And of course Origin, possibly, but otherwise, I'm game.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
My money, all of it, NAU!

Seriously. Sim City is what made me a gamer wayyyy back when it first came out.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I could see myself buying this. Maxis formed a large part of my formative years as a gamer with Simcity original, 2000, Sim Copter (though my copy no longer works :/), Streets of Simcity and SimTower. Now don't require Origin...

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Matthew94 said:
Antari said:
If they make it Origin only, however painful it may be. I'll have to let it go.
This fact hit me like a brick in the face.

I was so hyped until people brought up these points.

1- It's EA
2- They will no doubt make it origin exclusive
3- They will DLC the hell out of it
Want to build roads? Better make sure you buy the collector's edition! Otherwise it'll be $20.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I swore I'd never post on this site again for a while, but-

<youtube=EvaoeqNLNtM>

Where's a TARDIS when you need one?