Notch Gives $3 Million to Mojang Employees

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Notch Gives $3 Million to Mojang Employees

Persson shares his good fortune with the rest of his team.

Minecraft is a big deal. From the day I first heard PayPal had suspended Markus "Notch" Persson's account because he earned too much money too fast [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103385-PayPal-Freezes-750K-in-MineCraft-Devs-Account], it was clear we were witnessing the birth of something important. Since September 2010, Minecraft has gone through several updates from alpha to beta and release as well as help Notch form an independent studio in his home country of Sweden. Mojang still has a modest staff of less than 20 employees, but in celebration of 5 million sales of Minecraft and the end of tax season, Notch distributed the $3 million in dividends he was entitled to all back to his "Mojangstas".

"Before tax, my dividends from Mojang for 2011 was about three million dollars. I chose to distribute that to the other employees," Notch said in a Tweet this morning [https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/175174949277941760].

"Every single Mojangsta is a massive part of the reason Mojang is the best place on earth to work at right now," Notch @mollstam [https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/175175266094678016]."

After hearing about so many programmers and game developers mistreated by various studio heads [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97391-Rockstar-Wives-Complain-About-Working-Conditions], it's refreshing to hear that Notch lives up to the hype by not only respecting his employees, but rewarding them handily as well.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
That's a pretty sweet bonus. They have to be some of the wealthiest game programmers in the world right about now :p

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
$150,000 a person is a pretty nice little bonus to get.

Does he really call them "Mojangsta?" That's really weird. Even for Sweden.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Qitz said:
$150,000 a person is a pretty nice little bonus to get.

Does he really call them "Mojangsta?" That's really weird. Even for Sweden.

Converting 150,000 dollars to our currency here in Sweden... wow. Nearly a million crowns. That's one helluva bonus.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Why didn't he finance a biology lab to genetically engineer real-life creepers?....

Oh, right, because that is a stupid idea.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
For a guy who made millions off a game about mining, Notch really isn't that vein.
To you my friend:
<youtube=6zXDo4dL7SU>

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Im divided on how to feel about notch. He gives away millions to his employees but couldn't be bothered to pay his head liners at Minecon. Also speaking of minecon I still have a bad taste in my mouth on that whole deal with Yogscast.

But on the other hand notch is trying to fund pysonaughts 2

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
For a guy who made millions off a game about mining, Notch really isn't that vein.
Well, I guess you could say he can add another Notch to his pickaxe.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
If even a small handful of other business owners/shareholders/CEOs were like Notch, the world would be a better place and the OCCUPY people would be having parties instead of protests.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Dang it, I was on a streak of not finding puns funny.

Did Notch keep any of that money for himself?

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Normally I would be annoyed at Notch always doing things to get into the spotlight... but this time its awesome, and newsworthy.
I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and not assuming he divided the spoils by position in the company and just gave each a equal portion ( not 20% for the CEO and 5% for the lads doing the mass art assets :p ).

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Wow. Way to go, Notch.

It's sad how many companies seem to be organized on a principle of "The results of good times get distributed to the CEO, VPs, other upper-echelon staff, and the investors, and the bad times result in the "disposables" getting shafted."

In contrast, it's really good to hear of a boss who actually shares the trappings of success with those who helped make it possible.