Xbox 360-Exclusive DLC Revealed For Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Xbox 360-Exclusive DLC Revealed For Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

It's called "Nemesis Mode" and as per that catchy title it gives players a chance to control the game's monosyllabic, hulking brute.

From Capcom's official announcement:

Only available for the Xbox 360, Nemesis Mode sees the USS compete against the Spec Ops in this thrilling and brutal eight player battle to achieve the highest score but with the twist of being able to control a terrifying Nemesis. Track down the control unit and give the Nemesis orders to destroy the opposition.

So, sort of a "Capture The Flag" mode, only in this case there's only one flag, and he throws cars at people.

Still having trouble imagining this thing? Luckily Capcom also issued a trailer for the DLC gameplay mode which is now embedded at top-right. It's more "cinematic" than "in-depth look at gameplay," but still drives home the point that he controllable Nemesis is going to almost completely dictate the flow of the game. Both sides will start out scrambling for control of the big guy, but when one grabs that remote control, I have to imagine the other side swearing into their headsets and frantically backpedalling away from the new menace.

I'm still sort of wondering what Nemesis does prior to one side gaining control though. Does he wander aimlessly and punch people at random? Hide in a closet? Sit patiently next to the coffee machine and read the day's box scores, while sighing audibly?

As I mentioned in the headline, "Nemesis Mode" will only be available on the Xbox 360 iteration of Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. The game itself is scheduled for release on March 20, and Capcom promises that the DLC will be available for purchase from the Xbox Live Marketplace that very same day for 320 Microsoft points (that's $4 in real money).

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
As in, "Microsoft will throw a tantrum if they don't get DLC first." before the DLC gets released to everyone else eight months later.

Or was I talking about Bioshock 2 for a moment?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
seems fair given the 5 characters in Street Fighter X Tekken PS3/PSV players get for free

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
I still do not understand the point of having DLC available on one console, even if they DO release it to other consoles later on; it still does not make much sense to me.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
By the sound of it though it is not XBOX gets it first, but only XBOX gets it period. That does not sit well with me if its true.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So why does Nemmy have The Heavy's chaingun rather than his own cartoonishly huge rocket launcher?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Same day release of a bonus gamemode, which means it's almost certainly on disc.

Capcom, showing us time and again how not to do DLC

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Did I notice a lady PC standing next to the Nemesis, whilst tons of bullets are flying at them?
Talk about realism-breaking bull... oh, right, it's a RE game, never mind :p

Still, kind of stupid to not release good content to the PS3 because MSFT paid you to do so...

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Eh, not really that big of a deal, I probably won't get this game anyway, my friends don't seem like they want to play it together since they are lame.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Another dick move by Capcom! That's two for today! Dang, Capcom! If you're running for Biggest Prick Developer, you're doing one helluva job!

I don't really care if the 360 gets the DLC first. Whatever, it's lame but I can wait. What I mind about all this is: 1) Day one DLC. I will never get over it. And 2) 360 exclusive. So...what, you're already abandoning PS3 users before the game is even released? It might be an incentive for 360 owners to pre-order the game, but for PS3 users, it's a repellant.

Don't we get something too? We're customers too, you know. We play online too. How about a TOFU mode? Hell, even Alice from the RE movies would do, as if to counter Nemesis. You know, RE: Apocalypse?

By the way, it seems Nemesis is just standing there, waiting for someone to take control of him. Which is kinda disappointing. I was half expecting him to truly be flipping cars and punching random stuff as he waits for someone to take control of him. You know, let's say he's attacking your team randomly. You take control of him and turn the tables. That'd be interesting.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
GZGoten said:
seems fair given the 5 characters in Street Fighter X Tekken PS3/PSV players get for free
Not really. It's as if people playing Left 4 Dead on the Xbox get 5 extra weapons for free, but people playing Portal 2 on the PC get an extra multiplayer mode for free or whatever. They don't relate to each other. At all. The same developer might be behind both games, but they should have nothing to do with one another.

In my case, I hate fighting games, but I might be willing to try playing this pseudo-FPS. But they're not being fair. It's as if they're trying to justify their actions by...forcing us to play SFxT? I say fuck that.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Holy crap. That's gotta be the stupidest combination of DLC-bullshit that I've ever seen from a publisher.

I'm a 360 gamer, but now I'm questioning buying this game (new) if I won't even get the whole game, and if the publisher is going to bend over for one console over its twin.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
If they think this will change my mind about waiting for the PC version, they're wrong. Very wrong.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
Is anyone else noticing the rediculous that is Nemesis with a mini gun? Where is his signature rocket launcher covered in brain goop and gore. I'm guessing the dev team watched Resident Evil Apocalypse and assumed that was in the game.

What a shame. One of the coolest monsters in the series and they just turn him into a mindless spray everything monster. Oh yeah and the DLC shit is stupid too. Im more pissed about Capcom raping my favourite franchise.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Beautiful End said:
Another dick move by Capcom! That's two for today! Dang, Capcom! If you're running for Biggest Prick Developer, you're doing one helluva job!

I don't really care if the 360 gets the DLC first. Whatever, it's lame but I can wait. What I mind about all this is: 1) Day one DLC. I will never get over it. And 2) 360 exclusive. So...what, you're already abandoning PS3 users before the game is even released? It might be an incentive for 360 owners to pre-order the game, but for PS3 users, it's a repellant.

Don't we get something too? We're customers too, you know. We play online too. How about a TOFU mode? Hell, even Alice from the RE movies would do, as if to counter Nemesis. You know, RE: Apocalypse?

By the way, it seems Nemesis is just standing there, waiting for someone to take control of him. Which is kinda disappointing. I was half expecting him to truly be flipping cars and punching random stuff as he waits for someone to take control of him. You know, let's say he's attacking your team randomly. You take control of him and turn the tables. That'd be interesting.
It would make more sense if he was actually standing in the way of the control unit and you had to get past him in order to obtain it, since it would lead to more interesting situations in which you are trying to get him out of the way and then suddenly the other team arrives and everything gets complicated.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
weirdguy said:
Beautiful End said:

It would make more sense if he was actually standing in the way of the control unit and you had to get past him in order to obtain it, since it would lead to more interesting situations in which you are trying to get him out of the way and then suddenly the other team arrives and everything gets complicated.
Well, it does sound like a nice idea. But based on that second of gameplay, he just seems to be hanging there, not moving at all. That also makes sense (Again, RE: Apocalypse) but your idea sounds better. It's not like I can assure that's what he's doing based on that second of gameplay we've seen but...well, you know. I just hope he does more than just chill there, waiting for someone to take control.