Leaked Video of Alleged "PS3 Slim" Surfaces on YouTube

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Leaked Video of Alleged "PS3 Slim" Surfaces on YouTube

A video showcasing the long-rumored slim PS3 in the (proverbial) flesh has appeared on YouTube. Is it a fake? If so, it's a damn good one.

To bring you up to speed: Images of the supposed slim PS3 redesign first surfaced earlier this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91810-The-Slim-PS3-Mystery] rumors surfaced that Sony had already begun production work on the console to have it shipped as soon as possible - as soon as the middle of July.

Well, it's the middle of July now, isn't it? Though the quality in the above video is very, very low, the device that the cameraman is inspecting does look nigh-identical to the images of the slender PS3 redesign that we've seen thus far. I'm unable to place the language - do any of you Escapists out there recognize it? - but if this video is to be believed, some lucky street vendors have somehow acquired the machine in advance of its worldwide release (or even reveal).

I'll be the first to admit that the apparent scenario - where some random guy in a stall has his hands on a leaked piece of high-tech equipment before the rest of the world - seems unlikely at best. Even so, you'd think the people who would run a site called Ultimate Playstation [http://ultimateplaystation.com/] would have an eye for this sort of thing, no?

If it is a hoax, it's possible that the console in the video looks so identical to the leaked images we've seen already for the sole purpose of giving these claims some legitimacy. After all, if your fake console looked visibly different from what we've seen thus far, that'd be a dead giveaway that one (if not both) was a fraud.

What do you think, folks? Real McCoy, or clever fake?

(VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/07/12/rumour-ps3-slim-spotted-in-video/])

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Yeah I call shenanigans for now until I see something more.

Give me a few months, I could create an xbox 360 micro, complete with concept art. The only reason I think this holds any weight is because there's no way in hell Sony would tell people it's coming, it would just stunt sales up to the point of release.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
This might sound stupid but if it was true wouldn't it first show up in Japan?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Ollie596 said:
Not necessarily. The factories reportedly producing the units were in Taiwan. It'd be easier for them to surface there, or in mainland China.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
I love the Engadget post on this (link [http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/12/probably-fake-video-of-the-ps3-slim-surfaces]).

Most of the comments are talking about how this could be real. I just don't see it myself. Releasing a slimmer PS3 is the last thing Sony needs to be worried about doing right now, I mean, they're not totally clueless as to the state of the market and gaming in general!

...On second thought...
(Sorry, couldn't resist). But seriously, if this is real I'll eat my hat.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Ollie596 said:
Not necessarily. The factories reportedly producing the units were in Taiwan. It'd be easier for them to surface there, or in mainland China.
Ahh I see, I didn't know that they might be producing them in Taiwan so actually that makes sense, consirding how close they are together, but I only believe this if more pictures/videos appear in China.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
sunami88 said:
I love the Engadget post on this (link [http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/12/probably-fake-video-of-the-ps3-slim-surfaces]).

Most of the comments are talking about how this could be real. I just don't see it myself. Releasing a slimmer PS3 is the last thing Sony needs to be worried about doing right now, I mean, they're not totally clueless as to the state of the market and gaming in general!

...On second thought...
(Sorry, couldn't resist). But seriously, if this is real I'll eat my hat.
I agree. When the Slim hits the market, it will be unannounced until a week before the street date.

I'm still wondering if the summer rumors I've heard about the Madden '10 bundle/price cut are holding any water.

bioVOLTAGE

Dec 28, 2008
It's Sony trying to find out if people like the design of a new PS3. If they do, they announce that they had it in the works for awhile. If they don't, it never existed. That, and they try to build up hype for the name again. I could see one of these coming out in a few years.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
What language was that? They're being made in Taiwan, supposedly (my PS3 says "Made in China," so), so you'd expect to hear Mandarin or Hokkien, but was definitely not Mandarin, and while I haven't heard much Hokkien, it didn't sound like that (Hokkien is VERY tonal; that language didn't sound tonal at all). It wasn't Mandarin, it wasn't Japanese, it wasn't Korean, it wasn't Shanghaiese, I doubt it was Hokkien, and that alone makes me suspect this isn't real. I want to know what language that is.

And, of course, the subtitles they have up scream out "SCAM!" Only in their country? Yeah, something tells me I'd be seeing it here in Japan already in a Marketing Blitzkrieg if it was out, and guess what.

EDIT - Ahaha, someone on Engadget says it's in the Philippines, so FAKE FAKE FAKE.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
yeah_so_no said:
What language was that? They're being made in Taiwan, supposedly, so you'd expect to hear Mandarin or Hokkien, but was definitely not Mandarin, and while I haven't heard much Hokkien, it didn't sound like that (Hokkien is VERY tonal; that language didn't sound tonal at all). It wasn't Mandarin, it wasn't Japanese, it wasn't Korean, it wasn't Shanghaiese, I doubt it was Hokkien, and that alone makes me suspect this isn't real. I want to know what language that is.

And, of course, the subtitles they have up scream out "SCAM!" Only in their country? Yeah, something tells me I'd be seeing it here in Japan already in a Marketing Blitzkrieg if it was out, and guess what.
I've heard that this video was from the Philippines, actually.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
I just edited my post for that, after reading Engadget. This is SO fake.

My PS3 very clearly says "Made in China" on it, and I doubt very, very much Sony would open up a new factory in the Philippines for their slim PS3, or allow a version they aren't even admitting to having go openly on sale in some tourist trap in the Philippines. It's much more likely that someone was trying to scam a tourist.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
yeah_so_no said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
I just edited my post for that, after reading Engadget. This is SO fake.

My PS3 very clearly says "Made in China" on it, and I doubt very, very much Sony would open up a new factory in the Philippines for their slim PS3, or allow a version they aren't even admitting to having go openly on sale in some tourist trap in the Philippines. It's much more likely that someone was trying to scam a tourist.
It's unlikely, to be sure.

Yet I'm still unconvinced either way. It looks absolutely identical to what we've seen thus far, even incorporating the more rounded font we've seen on the PSP Go (instead of the Spiderman stuff that's currently there) that the leaked photos from Taiwan had. There's a growing mountain of evidence in favor of the PS3 Slim's existence - the only question in my mind is how the hell one would get to the Philippines.

Edit: Also, this is certainly NOT an official release by any means. This, if real, would have been someone stealing from the factories, if anything.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
I call shenanigans! Someone get me a broom!
The shopkeeper was probably just trying to make a cheap buck.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
It's unlikely, to be sure.

Yet I'm still unconvinced either way. It looks absolutely identical to what we've seen thus far, even incorporating the more rounded font we've seen on the PSP Go (instead of the Spiderman stuff that's currently there) that the leaked photos from Taiwan had. There's a growing mountain of evidence in favor of the PS3 Slim's existence - the only question in my mind is how the hell one would get to the Philippines.

Edit: Also, this is certainly NOT an official release by any means. This, if real, would have been someone stealing from the factories, if anything.
Hee--I was about to say that the only way it would have gotten to the Philippines is through theft and smuggling. So if this is real, Sony is blowing a gasket right now.

So much of it screams "scam", though. But either way, real or fake, it definitely screams "ILLEGAL!"