BioWare Acknowledges Mass Effect 3 Face Import Bug

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Acknowledges Mass Effect 3 Face Import Bug

BioWare is working on a fix for a bug that prevents the importation of faces in Mass Effect 3 and in the meantime says afflicted users might find some relief from a fan-made tool.

If you're among the many gamers who gave Commander Shepard a face of his own in Mass Effect and then imported that face into Mass Effect 2, you may have run into a problem with Mass Effect 3: a glitch that prevents that face from being recognized. It's not as bad as losing all your saved games, but for gamers dedicated enough to carry a custom Shepard across three games, it has to be infuriating. And while BioWare doesn't seem to know exactly why it's happening just yet, the studio is aware of the problem and is working to correct it.

"We are aware that some players are having issues importing the faces of characters from Mass Effect 1 or Mass Effect 2 into Mass Effect 3," Community Coordinator Chris Priestly wrote on the BioWare Social Network [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9661093/1]. "The issue is likely in how faces were detected when imported from Mass Effect 1 into Mass Effect 2, and we're working on the best way to correct it for affected players."

In the meantime, Priestly pointed to a fan-made tool that might do PC users some good at masseffecttools.99k.org [http://masseffecttools.99k.org/index.php]. Console gamers, unfortunately, will have to wait until BioWare issues a proper fix, but at least there's some comfort in knowing that it's on the way.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'm lucky I recreated my Sheps in ME2 instead of doing a straight import... but then again... the models somehow look completely different in ME3 anyway even with an unbugged import :(

selce

Nov 27, 2007
Now im sad that i always used the default face, i dont get to play with someone as cool looking as that? Bummer!

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Hope this is resolved before I pick up my copy of the game. Still need to work through ME 2 (one completed quest but no DLC, one incomplete quest with DLC) so I'd say Bioware has about a month to fix this before I need ME3.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Glad they have actually finally acknowleged this, it took them long enough. Hopefully this issue will be fixed soon, ideally at least by Friday when it comes out here in the UK.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Can't you just put the code of your ME2/ME1 character into ME3? It's how I did it in the demo. Only problem was my ginger hair was blond, due to lack of ginger hair, had to suffice with brown hair. Guess I'll find out on friday.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I discovered this 15 seconds into playing the game the first time.

How, with any stretch of the imagination, could this get through testing? I even used the default male Shepard appearance each time.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
My friends are pretty much all doing multiplayer now anyway so we can wait a few days for a patch.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Richardplex said:
Can't you just put the code of your ME2/ME1 character into ME3? It's how I did it in the demo. Only problem was my ginger hair was blond, due to lack of ginger hair, had to suffice with brown hair. Guess I'll find out on friday.
There's no ginger hair in ME3? My Shepard has ginger hair from ME1 and ME2. :<

OT: Well, better fix it before Friday then, when I pick up my copy. :p

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Richardplex said:
Not all ME1 Shepards have face codes, most don't at all. My main Shepard doesn't have one at all.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
You'd think they would have tested for that, seeing as the games were designed to be played all the way through.