Battlefield 3 Gets Three Expansions

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Battlefield 3 Gets Three Expansions

Not one, not two, but three Battlefield 3 expansions will roll out over 2012.

Battlefield 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3-Limited-Playstation/dp/B005JGC5BC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331136365&sr=8-3] fans have a lot to look forward to in 2012, with three big, themed expansion packs set for release over the next several months. First up is Close Quarters, a "frantic, infantry-only" battle featuring tight, destructible levels, vertical gameplay and new weapons, assignments and unique dog tags. Next is Armored Kill, with new drivable tanks, ATVs, mobile artillery and other vehicles, plus huge battlefields including the biggest map in Battlefield history. And finally there's End Game, but details on that are being kept very hush-hush for the moment.

"Instead of delivering piecemeal map packs, we're giving players a completely new experience with every themed expansion pack to keep the action fresh," said Executive Producer Patrick Bach. "Our expansions are designed to excite our large and active fan base while attracting new recruits with gameplay that is dynamic and unpredictable every time."

Prices haven't been announced but the expansion extravaganza will begin with Close Quarters in June, followed by Armored Kill in the fall and End Game in winter. A closer look at what's in store in Close Quarters is up now at battlefield.com [http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/close-quarters].

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Cool. Though with Karkand, I didnt really like the assignments. The Assault one where you have to win five Squad Death match games took me for-fucking-ever to get. Hopefully, the new assignments wont require playing specific gamemodes.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Oooh... that does actually sound tempting... Maybe I will get round to BF3 this year after all...

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
Price the damn things at less than 1/5 that of the FULL FREAKING GAME and MAYBE I'll look into buying them.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
More weapons please, and keep the assignments structure. So much more satisfying to earn a new weapon rather than being spoon fed it.

No matter how GODDAMN LONG!!!!!! it took me to unlock the SA80.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
That's pretty awesome, especially if they can create a truly new experience, the way Bad Company 2's Vietnam expansion pack did it. That really offered something new to the vanilla game, something I think every good expansion does.

But before that please fix this game's balance. Every damned server I join has one team that's getting ground into paste while the other is kicking ass. As luck would have it, of course, I get dumped into the team that's already losing heavily, but even when I join the team that rocks the world it's just not that satisfying to win.

And that's just Conquest, don't get me started on Rush...

Edit:

By the way, do you know what they should add for a close-quarters expansion pack? A friggin' lean function. Seriously, that's like, vital if you want to make shit work.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
INB4 Oh noes!, moar DLC!

These are not mere map packs like certain other games, these ones adds lots of new weapons and vehicles.

Also, this isn't the first time, nor the last time a Battlefield game sees multiple expansions, look at Battlefield 2.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
thehorror2 said:
Price the damn things at less than 1/5 that of the FULL FREAKING GAME and MAYBE I'll look into buying them.
Judging current trends from DICE, it'll likely cost $14.99 US, give you new maps and new weapons along with other content.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Edit:

By the way, do you know what they should add for a close-quarters expansion pack? A friggin' lean function. Seriously, that's like, vital if you want to make shit work.
Sadly, there aren't enough buttons on a console controller...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Tharwen said:
Cowabungaa said:
Edit:

Is that a not-so-subtle hint saying that BF3 is consolized? Because I'd like to think that, given the night-and-day difference between the PC and console versions of BF3 it's pretty obvious which platform DICE decided to tell to go to hell. Adding a lean function wouldn't really matter that much more then.

Not that it'll happen, but a man can dream.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Tharwen said:
Cowabungaa said:
Edit:

Is that a not-so-subtle hint saying that BF3 is consolized? Because I'd like to think that, given the night-and-day difference between the PC and console versions of BF3 it's pretty obvious which platform DICE decided to tell to go to hell. Adding a lean function wouldn't really matter that much more then.

Not that it'll happen, but a man can dream.
...I'm not sure what you mean. What differences are there? I don't actually know since I haven't played the console versions at all.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Tharwen said:
...I'm not sure what you mean. What differences are there? I don't actually know since I haven't played the console versions at all.
24 Player max, no dedicated servers and extremely crummy graphics, especially without the HD texture pack. They clearly developed BF3 as a PC game.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Tharwen said:
24 Player max, no dedicated servers and extremely crummy graphics, especially without the HD texture pack. They clearly developed BF3 as a PC game.
Haven't they actually said as much? The party line was that they specifically developed for the PC as a priority.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Hoping that End Game will be 2143 what Vietnam was to BC2. Especially since it's released next winter.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
NLS said:
Hoping that End Game will be 2143 what Vietnam was to BC2. Especially since it's released next winter.
Nah, the name may suggest otherwise. The 2143 easter egg on Wake Island screams sequel to me moreso than expansion pack.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Zer_ said:
NLS said:
Nah, the name may suggest otherwise. The 2143 easter egg on Wake Island screams sequel to me moreso than expansion pack.
(o_O)

What easter egg? and where?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
For now they look like shit, the maps shouldnt be about either being a CQC map or a vehicle map, it should be maps that alowed the player the ability to contribute for the team even if he is just infantry or transport. They should really take a hard look at Project Reality for BF2.

In there even if you are just a scout you are still important to the team and the outcome of the match

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
WanderingFool said:
Zer_ said:
NLS said:
(o_O)

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/19/dice-hint-at-battlefield-2143-with-another-wake-island-easter-egg/

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Zer_ said:
WanderingFool said:
Zer_ said:
NLS said:
(o_O)

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/19/dice-hint-at-battlefield-2143-with-another-wake-island-easter-egg/
Oh, well shit. Im usually to busy avoiding (and in many a case, failing) getting my ass shot off.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Just checked out that easter egg.
Looking forward to seeing some icy futuristic maps on the Frostbite 2(.5?) engine :D:D:D:D:D:D