Mechwarrior Online Declares "Mech Combat Month"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mechwarrior Online Declares "Mech Combat Month"

It's "Mech Warfare Month" at Mechwarrior Online and that means we finally get a look at what awaits inside the cockpit.

Strategy, tactics, "information warfare" and all the rest of that stuff is all very nice, but when you get right down to it, Mechwarrior fans are all after pretty much the same thing: massive, heavily-armed behemoths beating the holy hell out of each other. And now that Piranha Games has declared March to be "Mech Warfare Month," it's finally time to talk about the nuts and bolts of battle.

Even as just an overview, the first dev blog look at mech warfare [http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/5155-dev-blog-5-mech-warfare-part-i/] is huge, covering topics ranging from the basics of mech locomotive capabilities to heat management, weapons systems, HUD, jumpjets, targeting systems and more. This is serious business, people, and Piranha doesn't seem shy about telling gamers that they're not going to just jump in and go.

"Because Mechwarrior Online is more simulation than arcade, one of the more challenging things to learn is how to use throttle," the studio said, a statement sure to please old-time mech pilots. "There is no sprint/run button for MW:O. Once a throttle level has been chosen, the BattleMech moves forward at that speed until throttle is reduced. This is a little more confusing than your typical first-person shooter."

Heat will of course be a factor - override at your own risk - and onboard ammunition will be susceptible to explosions caused by overheating and armor breaches. Up to six weapon groups can be defined, while targeting systems will offer five different levels of information on enemy mechs, based on line of sight and duration of contact. All that information and more will be splayed across an intimidatingly detailed HUD.

This is ridiculously hot stuff by just about any measure. Arm-mounted weaponry can actually be targeted independently of the torso, meaning that with practice your mech could be moving in one direction while firing in two others. Has any other Mechwarrior game ever done that? It sounds brilliant, and there's more to come. If you're any sort of Mechwarrior or Battletech fan, I think it might be time to start getting excited.

If you're interested in [user]Steve Butts[/user]' impressions of the demo of Mechwarrior Online, check out his preview from GDC 2012 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/9466-MechWarrior-Online].

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I would have given it a try if they had called it the March Mech Mayhem, but now I'm just disappointed at them.

Nyaoku

Jan 7, 2012
Please make a console version ... I'll buy a new laptop anyways but just please don't mess this up.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Might need to dig out the joystick for this one. Colour me excited!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Nav alpha reached.

Autopilot disabled.

Group fire engaged.

Heat level critical.

Shutdown sequence initiated.

Shutdown sequence overridden.

Enemy mech destroyed.
Primary objective successful.
Proceed to dustoff zone for extraction.

Why yes, I am excited, finally a MW game after all these years.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
This game will fuck me silly and the ***** that I am will enjoy it!

My body is ready!

CAPTCHA: loaf of bread. Huh, I am pretty sure a mech's is bigger than that.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
MECHS DOWN AT NAV GAMMA BITCHEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Yeah, I'm pretty hot for this. It looks better and better with every new reveal.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
TheBobmus said:
Might need to dig out the joystick for this one. Colour me excited!
Another game added to the huge heap of support I have to build a new gaming rig :D

One reason I think Mech Assault was so popular, was because it was essentially a mech FPS.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
All in all I feel sorry for these guys. Considering how huge a shitstorm there was just because a certain trailer used the word online instead of nominal, yeah.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
matrix3509 said:
All in all I feel sorry for these guys. Considering how huge a shitstorm there was just because a certain trailer used the word online instead of nominal, yeah.
They did explain that. Everyone, at least on their site, was fairly forgiving.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
MECHS DOWN AT NAV GAMMA BITCHEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
I like you almost as much as I like Steve, after his article on how XCom is the greatest game ever.

Its a close almost.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Fuckin' A.

Thinking back to all the ridiculously fun times I had with Mechwarrior 4 it makes me very, very happy that the gameplay on this upcoming title sounds increasingly familiar.
Got my pilot name last week... now we play the waiting game. ... Oooooohhhh yeeeeaaaahhh, PPC inferno incoming, bitches!!! >:D

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
This is ridiculously hot stuff by just about any measure. Arm-mounted weaponry can actually be targeted independently of the torso, meaning that with practice your mech could be moving in one direction while firing in two others. Has any other Mechwarrior game ever done that? It sounds brilliant, and there's more to come. If you're any sort of Mechwarrior or Battletech fan, I think it might be time to start getting excited.
Yep Mechwarrior 2, 3, and Mercenaries have all had independent torso control as well as weapons aim. As long as you had a control system to take advantage of it. With the standard targetting set unfortunately I feel Lasers will need a heavy duty nerf. Otherwise you'll just have a bunch of heatsink's with legs running around zapping other people's legs out from underneath them. Its always been the quickest way to drop a big mech.

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
Antari said:
Andy Chalk said:
Yep Mechwarrior 2, 3, and Mercenaries have all had independent torso control as well as weapons aim. As long as you had a control system to take advantage of it. With the standard targetting set unfortunately I feel Lasers will need a heavy duty nerf. Otherwise you'll just have a bunch of heatsink's with legs running around zapping other people's legs out from underneath them. Its always been the quickest way to drop a big mech.
Damn, I've been ninja'd!

Anyway, this really sounds like a legitimate Mech Warrior game, I'm optimistic.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Yeah, I guess you guys are right. It's been so long since I played MW2 that I had it in my mind that aiming was fixed at the torso, but now that I'm really thinking about it... okay, so other Mechwarrior games have done that. But that's okay, that just means (as Aenir said) that MWO is legit!

Valid point about the weapons, too. I seem to recall small lasers (maybe mediums) being the absolute uber-weapon in the Netmech Registry. But Piranha seems determined to properly balance everything, so hopefully that won't be an issue this time around.