Paradox CEO Blasts GAME

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Paradox CEO Blasts GAME

The UK retailer's woes are a combination of a changing market, poor financial planning, and bad karma, says a Paradox Interactive executive.

It's been a rough few weeks for GAME, the premier brick-and-mortar videogame retailer in the UK. As if failing to stock Street Fighter X Tekken [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.351901-Game-UK-Cancels-The-Last-Story-Pre-Orders] weren't bad enough, it now has the supernatural influence of karma to deal with. The ancient Hindu concept can best be boiled down to "what goes around, comes around," and Magicka publisher Paradox Interactive executive Fredrick Wester believes that GAME has an awful lot of bad mojo coming its way. According to Wester, GAME has a history of shady business practices, and its demise - while hurtful to many consumers - will ultimately pave the way for a freer, more creative games trade in Great Britain.

In terms of dedicated physical game stores, GAME does not have much competition in the UK. Wester accuses the store of taking advantage of that fact. "GAME has basically been bullying people around and now it comes back to bite them on the ass," he says. The Paradox CEO cites the fact that EA and Nintendo have been unwilling to offer any assistance to GAME, despite the fact that the retail chain provides a good chunk of their sales in the region. "One of the biggest problems is they haven't behaved nicely to other people, so it's karma," explains Wester. He thinks that GAME could still save itself - but only if it closes up underperforming shops, liquidates most of its assets, and sells itself to U.S. analogue GameStop.

In addition to bad karma, Wester discusses the rapidly changing landscape of game distribution as a culprit behind GAME's troubles. Digital distribution, he argues, will make short work of most physical retailers, but closed systems like XBLA and PSN may not be far behind. "Why didn't XBLA and PSN become like the App Store when they came out four year's (sic) before?" he asks. "It's because they don't have the same openness to new content, they have multiple filters before you're in." The chaff-to-wheat ratio in open digital markets is dauntingly high, but Wester thinks that the potential for creative titles outweighs the monotony of hunting for them. "Angry Birds would never have made it to XBLA, Minecraft would never have made it to XBLA."

While the future of GAME, restrictive marketplaces, and physical games are all difficult to predict with certainty, Wester is a successful industry vet, and likely has some insights that the average gamer does not. If GAME did indeed bring about its own predicament through bad behavior, it serves as a harsh reminder for retailers in other parts of the world: Respect your customers and suppliers, because there are other avenues for acquiring games.

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-06-game-troubles-are-entirely-its-own-making-says-paradox]

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
"and bad karma"?

~_~ It's game retail, all retailers are as bad as each other. Only one of them is in this much trouble.

Silly Paradox. Now release a game that doesn't require 7 patches in 7 days.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
Respect your customers and suppliers, because there are other avenues for acquiring games.
Yes, Supermarkets, Amazon and Steam.

I actually had to think what was the last game I bought from Game. I mean I go into game every... 2 weeks... I don't buy anything though :p I just window shop >.>

Ah! Medieval Total War 2 and its Expansion pack Kingdoms... then Assassins Creed 1, then Assassins Creed 2 then... then... that was it actually...

Why? Everything is cheaper everywhere else. Only stupid people buy from game unless its an old PS2 or Xbox game your after.

GameStop apparently shut down all of its chains in the UK this year and I thought... we have GameStop in the UK? News to me, no wonder they closed.

Game sadly is a relic in a more digitally downloading age. I mean sure disks are great... but Rome Total War's disk broke twice >.> I'm on my third and when that breaks... hello Steam :)

JuliusMagnus

Mar 23, 2008
I think the last game I bought at a brick-and-mortar was Jade Empire, so that was seven years ago. At the time I mistakenly thought limited editions were limited to brick and mortar stores.

I still buy 90% physical copies but from online retailers. I just go where the particular game is cheapest (even importing from the UK). Store loyalty isn't worth anything to me and I've only come close to being duped one time (indirect sale through a store that sold through Amazon.co.uk), but thanks to an excelent complaint system it was all sorted out.

It's difficult to judge service of online retailers because you really only need the service the moment something goes wrong.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
People who WANT digital only games are morons of the highest caliber.

Enjoy paying 60USD for a game, for no other reason than stupid people will do so.

If I'm going to pay THAT MUCH MONEY, I want something I can hold.
Something that I can dust off in a few years and not worry about it working or not due to some server going offline.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Tanis said:

Enjoy paying 60USD for a game, for no other reason than stupid people will do so.

Something that I can dust off in a few years and not worry about it working or not due to some server going offline.
Except that... with things like Steamworks, even if you have the disc you still have to worry about it not working because the server is offline.

I mean yeah, I want my games to work even without a network connection. I won't be buying D3 for that reason. My ISP is unreliable and games are one of my primary sources of entertainment when it's down, so a game that doesn't work under those conditions is not worth much to me. >.>

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Might as well rename this article "Paradox CEO Blasts Dead Horse".

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
DVS BSTrD said:
They're gunna have to patch this GAME.

I hear the market is cutting support for this GAME, in favour of newer, less stupid, delivery vehicles.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Comando96 said:
I actually had to think what was the last game I bought from Game. I mean I go into game every... 2 weeks... I don't buy anything though :p I just window shop >.>
This. This every week. It's nice to look at what's around physically, but their prices are absurd and the staff are trained to be unhelpful. I go to CEX if I want to buy a game to take home - I swear you can get games for a third of the cost in there, if not better.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
TheBobmus said:
This. This every week. It's nice to look at what's around physically, but their prices are absurd and the staff are trained to be unhelpful. I go to CEX if I want to buy a game to take home - I swear you can get games for a third of the cost in there, if not better.
The two shops in my local city (in the countryside) are almost opposite eachother xD
I think staff in Game vary though. In my game they are quite helpful... but likely due to the "city" being small and people knowing each other. I used to live in London... and nobody gave a shit anywhere unless they owned the shop :p

Then again I was amoung the scum in Woolwich so the rest of London may have been more helpful. Scum... thats not completely fair. There were tones of Indian Hindu's and Sikh's in Woolwich and they were awesome :)

Darth_Dude

Jul 11, 2008
Comando96 said:
Game sadly is a relic in a more digitally downloading age. I mean sure disks are great... but Rome Total War's disk broke twice >.> I'm on my third and when that breaks... hello Steam :)
Really? I've had the same disk since I bought it, waay back in...2008 I believe it was.

Although, the bastards never gave me a CD key, so I cant play online :(

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
evilneko said:
Tanis said:

Except that... with things like Steamworks, even if you have the disc you still have to worry about it not working because the server is offline.

I mean yeah, I want my games to work even without a network connection. I won't be buying D3 for that reason. My ISP is unreliable and games are one of my primary sources of entertainment when it's down, so a game that doesn't work under those conditions is not worth much to me. >.>
His point was that, if they were to keep the cost of games the same even after removing the costs of manufacturing and distributing the disks by going digital distribution only, it would be because of stupid people who are willing to pay that much. If he has to pay 60USD, he better be able to get a physical copy.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
wintercoat said:
His point was that, if they were to keep the cost of games the same even after removing the costs of manufacturing and distributing the disks by going digital distribution only, it would be because of stupid people who are willing to pay that much. If he has to pay 60USD, he better be able to get a physical copy.
Except what good's a physical copy if it won't still work 15-20 years from now? (For reference, Wolfenstein 3D is 20 years old on May 5 this year, as are Super Mario Kart, Ultima 7 and Ultima Underworld. DOOM and Warcraft are only a year younger, imagine if those classics had been released tied to a Steam-like service that no longer existed!)

In all seriousness, even with boxed copies it's not like you get much (or the company spends much) "extra" for your money. 20 years ago yes, I would've agreed. Back then you got big, thick manuals that were actually interesting to read (wanna know all the shit I learned about trains from the Railroad Tycoon manual?), posters, maps, lots of other goodies. Heck, even the box itself was often cool. Nowadays? Nada. None of that shit's still there unless you buy the even more expensive "Collector's Edition" and even then it often still sucks.

[small]And the boxes suck too. D:<[/small]

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
In Sweden GAME is like an inferior GameStop. They're just as hideously expensive, still buy new games for 170 SEK(that retailed at 699 SEK) then resell it for 599 SEK, but they don't carry as many games.

($1 = 7 SEK; £1 = 9 SEK; ?1 = 9 SEK, basically)

So, what I do these days is that I window shop in GameStop (GAME isn't worth my time), then if I see something I like, I go to Webhallen where all games are around 100 kr cheaper.

(That's my brotip for fellow gamers in Stockholm)
So, no wonder they're not doing that well. They're not really offering me, the customer, any benefits of using them.
Silly GAME.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
According to Wester, GAME has a history of shady business practices...
Well now, you can't talk Wesker, I mean shady is your... oh, wait.

Comando96 said:
GameStop apparently shut down all of its chains in the UK this year and I thought... we have GameStop in the UK? News to me, no wonder they closed.
Woah, wait... what? Gamestop was in the UK? Definately news to me too.

I very rarely buy games from GAME or Gamestation, although I prefer Gamestation when I have the choice. I will always pop in and browse the used games but I'll always get my pre-orders and new purchases from Amazon because they're cheaper and frankly I can have them in my hands quicker.

As much as I don't want to see dedicated gaming stores go under, it's not really going to affect me one way or the other. However Gamestation have always been good to me for trade ins... off to CEX again then!

Sam Eskenazi

Dec 26, 2008
Good ol' Paradox.

I went into Game inquiring about PI's new game, Crusader Kings 2, and they had never even heard of it, and laughed when I even mentioned the company name...

Who's laughing now, douchebag who wouldn't give me an interview! (Seriously, I went in there asking for a job, he started quizzing me right there on the shop floor, asked what I was playing, I said "Alan Wake" then he called me a "retro gamer" in a spiteful way and ended the conversation and walked away. What the fuck?!)