Angry Birds in Space Goes To Space

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Angry Birds in Space Goes To Space

Angry Birds in Space, with a little help from NASA, just became the first videogame ever to make its official debut in space.

The International Space Station orbits Earth at a distance of approximately 240 nautical miles. On board at this moment are six astronauts from the U.S., Russia and Europe, as well as some eggs, some pigs and some birds. Angry Birds.

The official Angry Birds in Space announcement trailer has finally arrived, beamed, appropriately enough, from space. NASA veteran Don Pettit laid it all out, explaining how the variable gravity environments in Angry Birds in Space will affect the trajectories of the birds as they attempt to take out the egg-stealing pigs. He even put together a pretty awesome demonstration, firing a stuffed Angry Bird across the multi-billion-dollar orbital facility. Freedom! Horrible, horrible freedom!

The Angry Birds part of the trailer doesn't do much for me - I'm a fan, but after the original game plus Seasons and Rio, I'm not likely to get too worked up about more - but Pettit's presentation is fantastic. He's enthusiastic and charismatic, with just enough nerdy awkwardness to make his "I'm a NASA astronaut" thing work. I could watch this guy all day.

As well as promoting the game, the trailer is also being used by NASA to explain the basic concepts of microgravity [http://www.nasa.gov/microgravity/]. "NASA participated with Rovio on Angry Birds in Space under a Space Act Agreement to share the excitement of space with the Angry Birds community, educate users on NASA's programs, and collaboratively create interactive educational experiences for the public," the site says. And that's pretty cool.

Angry Birds in Space [http://space.angrybirds.com/] lifts off on March 22 for iOS and Android devices, the PC and Mac.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Well, I see we're not as big into launching military types like Neil Armstrong or John Glenn into space these days.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
I have often wondered whether Angry Birds will end up taking over the world.

It seems I was wrong. They have their sights set higher. They're taking over the universe.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Please, Rovio, NO! Just end it with the three Angry Birds versions that you already have. I don't care if it's got a space background this time. It's still monotonous and samey.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
TLS14 said:
Please, Rovio, NO! Just end it with the three Angry Birds versions that you already have. I don't care if it's got a space background this time. It's still monotonous and samey.
Dude you dont have to get it.

Sounds good Rovio =D I for one can't wait!

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
TLS14 said:
It appears to have a lot more than just a space background. Looking at the end of the video it seems like a completely different gameplay mechanic with the weightlessness and planetary bodies.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
They should slap a copy of Angry Birds onto the next extrasolar probe to be launched into the far reaches of space.

Then, if any extraterrestrials make first contact with us, we can start shooting the crap out of them (I have little doubt we'll be the first to open fire). And we'll curbstomp them, because they'll think our sole means of offense is irate avians and they'll be woefully unprepared for our real weapons. Then, we'll reverse engineer their technology, turning us into a fearsome worldconquering juggernaut.

Captcha: marry me
Seriously? The one before was 'hug me'. These things are getting needy and quite honestly, creepy.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
Hmm, sounds cool. Still, I wish they included the other 5 astronauts in this commercial too. What, no love for André Kuipers?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
This actually put to rest my biggest worry about Angry Birds Space. I was afraid that they were just gonna make a game of them in Space without really changing anything.

But if they're actually gonna give us some new physics to play around with, I think this could quite possibly end up being the best Angry Birds since the original.

I'm personally looking forward to it.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Damn, I'm about to finish angry birds seasons and Facebook Angry Birds and I thought I was going to stop wasting time, oh well...

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
This angry birds game is the first one that looks interesting to me. Playing around in zero G? Better than slingshotting on earth.

Trikeen

Feb 17, 2009
The game it's self seems to be taking a page from the big book of Mario Galaxy, but aside from that, this was a pretty damn cool video.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
In other news, Angry Birds has jumped the shark.

Honestly, the game looks kinda fun. Taking gravity into account and destroying large structures with minimal effort. Kinda like Step 37B in my plan for galactic conquest.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
evilneko said:
Sounded like he had a cold or something.
Unlikely. Being sick in space is one of the worst things it could happen to someone.

HobbesMkii said:
Well, I see we're not as big into launching military types like Neil Armstrong or John Glenn into space these days.
What good would it be?

You still need experienced pilots but most of the work done in space requires at least an engineering/scientific diploma.

EDIT: completely forgot! Space missions are no longer about nationalistic jerk-off competitions nor military supremacy.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
ElPatron said:
HobbesMkii said:
What good would it be?

You still need experienced pilots but most of the work done in space requires at least an engineering/scientific diploma.

EDIT: completely forgot! Space missions are no longer about nationalistic jerk-off competitions nor military supremacy.
Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong were both engineers and US military personnel.