Rumor: Microsoft Doubles XBLA Achievement Totals [UPDATE]

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Rumor: Microsoft Doubles XBLA Achievement Totals [UPDATE]

If recent scuttlebutt is to be believed, Microsoft is again set to alter its internal rules for games released on the Xbox Live Arcade platform.

Citing an unnamed source, Xbox360Achievements.org claims that upcoming XBLA titles will feature up to 30 separate Achievements and a maximum of 400 Gamerscore points available. This is a solid increase from the current maximums of 20 Achievements and 200 points, respectively.

Likewise, XBLA titles will now be allowed to receive up to 4 DLC addon packs, each of which can feature 100 Gamerscore points of their own. All told, your future downloadable titles may be worth a maximum of 800 delicious Gamerscore points.

As for when this might occur, the unnamed source was a bit cagey, but claims that XBLA games released "between April 1st and May 31st have an option of which policy they would like to use." As on June 1st, it becomes mandatory for all titles.

Obviously this comes as great news for the disturbingly large segment of the playerbase that judges their inherent self-worth via Microsoft's abundant, largely useless numerical tally, but how do you normal folk feel? Is this a positive that will likely have little effect on your functional, adult life, or are you all giddy at the idea of suckling Microsoft's electronic teat for ever-larger scores?

We won't judge, but we can't help you until you admit that you have problem.

Update: According to Microsoft spokesperson Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb, this is indeed legit [http://majornelson.com/2012/03/12/xbox-live-arcade-gamerscore-policy-change/].

Source: Xbox360Achievements [http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news-2563-XBLA-Achievement-Policy-Change-Coming-Soon.html]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Overall gamerscore really doesn't mean much to me. I do feel pretty good if I can 100% an individual game though.

Jul 22, 2009
My 80,000+ gamerscore and I refute your inferred insults.

This is nothing but good, I agree with X360a's original article where they state that the more 'fun' achievements that you don't often see in arcade titles may become more abundant.

Oh Konami, if only every company did achievements like you.

Tempest Fox

Oct 18, 2008
Straight from Major Nelson himself, I'd say this is confirmed:

http://majornelson.com/2012/03/12/xbox-live-arcade-gamerscore-policy-change/

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I like the fact that I can prove if I did an usually difficult task in a game, via the achievements. If only I had something similar all those years ago on the playground when I told my friends I had beaten Super Mario Brothers! (And impossible feat, to many then.)

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
The below space contains a picture of how much I care about this change.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Cool! more useless points to add to my useless score!

DVS BSTrD said:
Well that should make-up for all the scoring I didn't get to do IRL while I was playing Xbox.
See, what you need is a girl who likes games.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It would've been awesome if Shadow Complex had more achievements to squeeze, that game deserved more e-peen little cheavos.

Although I'm kinda surprised that they still don't push the 50+ mark, heck, Cave Story+ has 76 achievements (on Steam) and it's a $10 game.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Mumorpuger said:
I like the fact that I can prove if I did an usually difficult task in a game, via the achievements. If only I had something similar all those years ago on the playground when I told my friends I had beaten Super Mario Brothers! (And impossible feat, to many then.)
That's the real value of Achievements, playground bragging.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
GamesB2 said:
My 80,000+ gamerscore and I refute your inferred insults.

This is nothing but good, I agree with X360a's original article where they state that the more 'fun' achievements that you don't often see in arcade titles may become more abundant.

Or Valve. Valve is pretty awesome when it comes to achievements.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Mumorpuger said:
Mission accomplished then! Now I can boast away without fear of being challenged. :D

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Mumorpuger said:
Crono1973 said:
Mumorpuger said:
Mission accomplished then! Now I can boast away without fear of being challenged. :D
You always could. I hope all the 9 year olds are impressed.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Mumorpuger said:
Crono1973 said:
Mumorpuger said:
You always could. I hope all the 9 year olds are impressed.
Yeah... they most definitely are. In addition to video games though, I am able to humble folks closer to my age with my numerous feats and skills, many of which are leaps and bounds better than most normal folk can even hope to achieve. Passive aggression is one. Ciao! I'll earn an achievement just for you!

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Eh, I don't care at this point. Microsoft has fucked XBLA over and over too many times for me to see anything they do as a good thing.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I haven't noticed. Got told I nearly had 60,000 gamerscore the other day. Last time I checked I was only on like, a thousand.

Useless score is useless.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Wouldn't bother me too much because I hardly ever buy arcade titles anymore.

But to defend achievements in general, they give me more things to look for in the games I play, rather than stumbling around from A to B in order to finish the game in as little time as possible.

For example I would never have played the time trial mode in Mirror's Edge if there weren't achievements to be had, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.

Gaining as much gamer score as possible is pretty silly though, seeing as there is no reward.

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
Lovely, and Gears 3 is going to be the first game with 2000 score I believe? I do love my achievements, and to the nay-sayers; why do you care whether I like to have an arbitrary number increase? Says more about you than me.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
GamesB2 said:
they reward you for actually doing something more then beating a level?

Suave Charlie said:
Lovely, and Gears 3 is going to be the first game with 2000 score I believe? I do love my achievements, and to the nay-sayers; why do you care whether I like to have an arbitrary number increase? Says more about you than me.
since that last bit seems aimed at me (i don't like trophy's or achievements) i feel i should reply to this. :) i don't care about your gamer score, or mine for that matter, but i would like it if the trophy's and achievements where for actually ACHIEVING something other then finishing world 1-1

rayskyrift

All that is man
Oct 29, 2009
Extra DLC packs for XBLA games is a good thing. Also honestly, achievement points can be fun.