Wrong Choices in Mass Effect 2 May Doom Shepard

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Wrong Choices in Mass Effect 2 May Doom Shepard

In the upcoming Mass Effect 2, "Your actions really do matter," says Project Director Casey Hudson in the ME2 E3 highlight reel - and making certain choices will lead to a final, complete ending in which Commander Shepard dies for good. Whoops, spoilers.

[video=824]

Now, we've already seen one "death" of Mass Effect protagonist Commander Shepard - in the destruction of the cool ship [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CoolShip] Normandy - but as everybody knows, you can't count a good hero out just because their spaceship got blown up. Since when has that ever stopped anybody?

The end, on the other hand, is a different beast altogether. With Mass Effect 2, the team at BioWare has been trying to put together a universe where the player's choices really do matter, as seen in this video highlighting some of the features demonstrated at last month's E3. Shepard can bypass the real-time conversations with interrupts (such as shoving a hostile and stonewalling informant out of a window mid-sentence), s/he must choose the right companions in order to deal with some of the most dangerous individuals in the galaxy, and so on.

Mess that up, and Shepard's time has come. "One of the endings - although what we're showing in the demo is not one of the endings - one of the complete endings to Mass Effect 2 has Commander Shepard dying - permanently." Given that one of the hooks to draw people into the Mass Effect would-be trilogy is that progress made in one game will carry over into the next, one has to wonder exactly what they'd do with Mass Effect 3 if a player's story ended with Shepard's death.

The developers have discussed plans regarding how they would stop said gamers from going back and just reloading from a save - apparently, the last point at which one can save is too late to change anything - but I'm still a bit skeptical. Like hobbits, gamers are tricksy little folk, and I'd bet that someone will find a way around it.

Still, it's a cool idea in theory - and from the footage in that video, the game's looking pretty sweet (I'm rather fond of the enemy reactions when you shoot them, personally). I suppose we'll just have to wait and find out how it all goes down - and whether or not gamers can find a way around BioWare's attempt to make a game where your choices actually have weight. Because they'd just be lame like that.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Cool idea. When I saw the title I thought it would mean actual choices made throughout the game can kill you at any time, like in Knights of the Old Republic. (Anyone remember Manaan?)
When I first played Manaan it took me forever to finally figure out how to get it perfectly. I died like 20 times.

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
I think it adds a great dynamic to the game, it gives the player a real sense of suspense since they know that there's a chance that they really won't make it out the other side if they bite off more than they can chew.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
This would indeed be awesome. Some real consequences in how the game plays out and ends are a great way to put your RPG above the rest. I also like the stuff in that video in general, especially that they've overhauled the planet exploration system. Also, I'm curious about the Interrupt system. It sounds a bit like a gimmick and my main concern is that you can't really be sure what it'll do. Unless it always does the same thing (Shepard flips out and kills people)...

Laura.

May 30, 2009
Wait... are they trying to get us in Diablo hardcore mode? I mean, if I die I intend to load a previous game. If they manage to stop me from doing that I will definitely go postal.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
That should be interesting, especially if you don't know what choices are the type that will get Shepard killed. Interrupting conversations via murder looks amusing though.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Radeonx said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Cool idea. When I saw the title I thought it would mean actual choices made throughout the game can kill you at any time, like in Knights of the Old Republic. (Anyone remember Manaan?)
When I first played Manaan it took me forever to finally figure out how to get it perfectly. I died like 20 times.
Wait... get what perfectly? o_O I don't remember ever having a tough time of things on Manaan...

OT, if it wasn't for the fact that I'd end up on the wrong side of the banhammer, I'd post endless pictures of "DO WANT" here.

This game looks fucking amazing.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
skitzo van said:
Hes gonna die of starvation in an elavator
Ok, that made me laugh.

As for their decision, I think it's nothing short of genius. What better way to make the player actually feel invested in the game and the character than to create the very genuine possibility of permanent death?

Of course, if my Joanna Shepard buys it, I am gonna be soooooo bent. So bent.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
Looks very good, glad to see they are taking player choices even further. My main issues with the game was with the combat, limited areas outside of plot-essential levels and the storyline in some respects. Well, looks like they're on the right tracks with the explorable planets. Should be good, could be incredible.

I just hope I won't have to wait forever for the PC release.

Boxmeister

Jun 27, 2009
Oh god don't tell me they're going to pull a Home Alone 3 for the 3rd game... None of the same characters, but the same name and the same storyline. Either that or everyone that isn't the main character (aka- everyone BUT Sheppard) is teaching the new rookie and constantly referring to the old main character who's tragically died.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
Jesus. If people want to reload a save because they want to play the game a certain way, so what? It's THEIR game. They shouldn't have to replay through the whole thing just to get the "correct" choice pattern. This in lieu with Dead Rising's "hurr durr ONE SAVE SLOT!" (Though I only use one save slot because I'm not intelligent enough to think that far ahead, still, multiples are good for those who use them.)

/rant

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
The only way to survive will be to be neutral I trust. Too good you'll be taken advantage of and hunted by criminals, too bad and you will be hated by everyone who doesn't enjoy murdering everything they have ever loved. Neutrality and a quick trigger finger will keep Shepard pie alive.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
The Bandit said:
Jesus. If people want to reload a save because they want to play the game a certain way, so what? It's THEIR game. They shouldn't have to replay through the whole thing just to get the "correct" choice pattern. This in lieu with Dead Rising's "hurr durr ONE SAVE SLOT!" (Though I only use one save slot because I'm not intelligent enough to think that far ahead, still, multiples are good for those who use them.)

/rant

Agreed, it is their game they should choose how it finishes.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
skitzo van said:
Hes gonna die of starvation in an elavator
Ok, that made me laugh.

As for their decision, I think it's nothing short of genius. What better way to make the player actually feel invested in the game and the character than to create the very genuine possibility of permanent death?

Of course, if my Joanna Shepard buys it, I am gonna be soooooo bent. So bent.
I agree.

I was getting tired of games where you didn't have to worry about being a jerk to everyone, rushing and killing who you want, even in an RPG, because "you are the main character, you can't die, you must see the good ending and your character will survive".

It will be like in the old Point and Click adventure games, where one false move equals death... King's Quest, anyone?

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
That sounds cool. Also, ominously permanent. But still cool.

PS; Why did you have to link to TV Tropes? It was a good half hour before I was able to close all of my tabs.