Capcom Details Street Fighter X Tekken DLC Plans

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Capcom Details Street Fighter X Tekken DLC Plans

Capcom has revealed its plans to release downloadable content for its latest fighter, both free and (inevitably) for pay.

Street Fighter X Tekken hit shelves a mere 10 days ago, but Capcom has long been toiling away on extra content for the virtual fisticuffs mashup. As of this morning, the company laid those plans bare. Included is word on the game's additional DLC characters, additional gems and a host of tweaks designed to improve the core game.

To wit:

Up first on April 3 are Swap Costumes that take the "alternate costume" DLC idea one step further - instead of offering basic alts, these outfits cross the fashion line by dressing SF characters as Tekken characters and vice versa. See Raven dress as Guy, Cammy as King and uh, Kuma as R. Mika...(?)

Swap Costumes are available for $1.00 (80 Microsoft Points) each, or if you wanna dive in for the whole assortment you can pick up the Street Fighter or Tekken collection packs for $13.00 (1040 MSP) each - buying one pack saves $6.00, grabbing both saves $12.00. April 3 also brings three free color packs, each containing four new additions to the palette for added customization options. Topping off the April 3 additions are three new quick combos, making for a total of five pre-programmed attack patterns. While spamming these pre-set combos is tempting, don't forget each use saps some of your Cross Gauge!

Shortly after those items arrive, look for a free tournament support title update that will add a new and faster way to select your gems from the versus screen via a dial system. We'll actually run a live stream this Monday at 4pm PT to show off this update, so head to our Twitch TV page for details. The tournament update will also include improvements to the online sound issues discussed in Ayano-san's earlier blog.

Looking just a few more weeks beyond the tournament support addition, the next big wave is a massive selection of free content delivered as a title update. This includes three new Assist Gem packs and six new Boost Gem packs, which add over 60 gems to the selection pool. This sizable infusion of new gems exponentially increases the customization options for every player, so we should see some interesting new loadouts once this DLC arrives. To that point, we're also tossing in three more gem slots per character in which you can save your preferred loadouts. Finally, this update comes complete with a free replay analyzer, which enables you to dissect each fighters' vital statistics.

The biggest additions come soon after the PlayStation Vita version launches later this year - the 12 characters debuting on Vita will come to consoles as a $20.00 (1600 MSP) bundle. I know many were worried past character pricing would push the cost of this update sky high, so I'm happy to say Blanka, Sakura, Guy, Cody, Elena, Dudley, Alisa, Bryan, Christie, Jack, Lars and Lei will not break the bank.

So, let's recap: Come April 3 the game will see a host of additional costumes priced at $1 each (or $13 for all of the Street Fighter or Tekken character costumes; that works out to $26 for the entire series). Likewise, the company will also release three free color packs that include four new colors per character, as well as three new quick combo slots, free of charge.

Sometime after that -- Capcom optimistically says "shortly after" -- Street Fighter X Tekken will also receive 60 new gems and three new gem slots per fighter, as well as a "replay analyzer." This too is totally gratis.

Then, once the Vita iteration of the game hits shelves, the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game will receive 12 additional downloadable characters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115941-12-New-Fighters-Join-Street-Fighter-X-Tekken-Vita-Cast]. Players will be able to buy all of these characters at once for $20.

Barring the rage the internet has for the amount of DLC content already present on the Street Fighter X Tekken disc, how do you all feel about this? More content is always welcome, no? Or are those prices a bit too rich for your blood? Leave your angry/giddy/whatever comments below.

Source: Capcom Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2012/03/16/new_costumes,_gems,_patches_and_more_coming_to_street_fighter_x_tekken]

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
20 bucks, huh. For content already on the disc. I think I'll wait for the inevitable Super. Used. Cheap.

Seriously, fuck you Capcom.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
There is evidence that all of this is on the disc, except the patch for sound issues which shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

We have our right to get angry, unfortunately Capcom has their right to be pricks about it.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
So lots of free stuff coming to SFxT and it seems the new characters are not that expensive either. However, the game itself hasn't really hooked me yet. Only time will tell if I'll feel the need to invest in it DLC-wise.

Also, armchair developers should chill out. Not saying I'm jumping for joy everytime Capcom asks for my hard earned, but too often do people overreact to these things while knowing jack shit about the issues behind the decisions.

Just saying.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
INB4 self entitled angry comment.

Uhhh... I don't mind about some ridiculous costumes, I also don't mind about all these "on disc DLC" shenanigans, I'm pretty much used to all this with MMOs, Team Fortress 2 and League of Legends, you don't see people bitching about not getting everything because it's already installed on their harddrives. Also, if you're desperate for getting everything, just wait for the inevitable Super Ultimate Ultra Arcade Edition.

Colinmac93

Mar 20, 2011
The characters are being released after the Vita version? But that's months from now.
They're practically finished, why not release them sooner?

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Weren't these the same guys that claimed this wouldn't have(/need?) a Super/Ultimate edition?

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
VonKlaw said:
Weren't these the same guys that claimed this wouldn't have(/need?) a Super/Ultimate edition?
Ha! I see it now. They announce they won't have a super/ult edition (and it -sounds- good), but in reality all that's happening is it's going to be in the form of crucial/necessary DLCs. Sounds legit

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
My only real issue is that the "extra" characters are obviously full and complete, from functional play to voiced endings, right now (and are on the disc). I see no reason why we should have to wait 6 months to be able to play as characters that are already complete and waiting to be played. I can understand a case like MvC3 where the "DLC" characters are sort of on the disc but only in incomplete Beta phase form and then are completed not long after the game ships but this is just stupid.

Either way, however, the prices are very agreeable.

Free gems will ward off complaints of pay to win, and the tourney mode patch might at least make it possible to use them in tournaments.

Colours are free, as they should be given how minor the customization is in SFxT anyway.

The costumes are almost all extremely nice and would have taken a ton of extra work to create in functional form, so I don't mind paying extra for them. This is even more the case given that, unlike with MvC3, you can opt to buy only the ones you actually want and aren't forced to buy in sets.

Even the price for the "extra" characters is excellent given how much characters usually cost in fighting games (generally it's about $5 each as opposed to 12 for $20).. if only the facts surrounding them weren't stupid.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
antipunt said:
VonKlaw said:
Ha! I see it now. They announce they won't have a super/ult edition (and it -sounds- good), but in reality all that's happening is it's going to be in the form of crucial/necessary DLCs. Sounds legit
That's basically something they announced a long time ago already. Capcom have officially stated that there will be no disc based enchanced versions of SFxT. They also said that further updates to the game would all be released in downloable update form. Perhaps a bit of semantics, but for some reason it seemed like a lot of players who were complaining about UMvC3 in particular were more perturbed by the fact that it was *gasp* on a new disc as opposed to being DLC than the fact it was an update to the game.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
INB4 self entitled angry comment.

Uhhh... I don't mind about some ridiculous costumes, I also don't mind about all these "on disc DLC" shenanigans, I'm pretty much used to all this with MMOs, Team Fortress 2 and League of Legends, you don't see people bitching about not getting everything because it's already installed on their harddrives.
TF2's... "DLC" was never on disc. Youll find it lurking in your Steam files.

And the reason why the entitlement crowd doesnt bash TF2 for its ludicrous ammount of pre-downloaded buyable content is because theres other paths to obtaining that content where you dont pay money.

As for LoL, not sure how things are handled in there. So not worth me commenting.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
My only real issue is that the "extra" characters are obviously full and complete, from functional play to voiced endings, right now (and are on the disc). I see no reason why we should have to wait 6 months to be able to play as characters that are already complete and waiting to be played. I can understand a case like MvC3 where the "DLC" characters are sort of on the disc but only in incomplete Beta phase form and then are completed not long after the game ships but this is just stupid.

Either way, however, the prices are very agreeable.

Free gems will ward off complaints of pay to win, and the tourney mode patch might at least make it possible to use them in tournaments.

Colours are free, as they should be given how minor the customization is in SFxT anyway.

The costumes are almost all extremely nice and would have taken a ton of extra work to create in functional form, so I don't mind paying extra for them. This is even more the case given that, unlike with MvC3, you can opt to buy only the ones you actually want and aren't forced to buy in sets.

Even the price for the "extra" characters is excellent given how much characters usually cost in fighting games (generally it's about $5 each as opposed to 12 for $20).. if only the facts surrounding them weren't stupid.
I've been getting various gamers opinions on this so I would like yours as s sorta' devil's advocate voice but all of the high level tournament types and most print that I've seen agree that gems will never be allowed at EVO. Why do you think they will?

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
MrBrightside919 said:
Oh Capcom...i'm not paying 80 dollars for SFxTK...
Which is why I came here and what I'm trying to decide. Think about it. If I had bought it on release it would have cost $80 for everything. Now thanks to the "debacle" the price has already dropped and $60 is what everything would cost now. The price of a new game.

I think I'm going to buy it new and then get the DLC. Sorry but for someone like me who will play this game likely for years, the value is there so long as they fix the tag-team feature online for the 360. An' this is after reading about two hours of distilled geek rage.

When will you people learn that coming here and raging about a company is about as effective as being a church goer who walks into church and starts raging about sinners. The sinners will never hear you.

All I've really learned from this conversation is that as always the "huge issue" is negligable if you are merely patient. Oh. I also learned that at least in the Escapists opinion this game doesn't even deserve a review. Odd when I consider (as well as experience) just how many of their contemporaries vehmently disagree.