Notch Calls Origin "a Good Thing"

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Notch Calls Origin "a Good Thing"

While the influential indie developer doesn't think EA's service is perfect, he's glad that platforms like Steam now have some competition.

One of the internet's most abundant and renewable resources is pure, unadulterated rage, and when it comes time to export, EA's digitial distribution service, Origin, seems to be on its short list of recipients. Markus "Notch" Persson, the infamous creator of indie whirlwind Minecraft, however, has a slightly different take, revealing to GameSpy that he's glad the service is available to gamers.

"I think it's a bit dangerous to only have one digital distribution platform like Steam," he said. "I love Valve, but out of principle, I find the idea of one platform a bit scary. So I like that there are others competing - for example, Desura and Impulse, who recently got bought by GameStop. It's a good thing that there are more."

But just because Notch is glad that EA has launched a competitor to the Steam juggernaut, that doesn't mean he's completely on board just yet.

"Origin does a couple things badly compared to Steam," Notch admitted, "which is impressive since they had eight years to study Steam."

During those eight years, Steam has established itself as the dominant force of similar distribution methods, boasting 35 million current active users, and an impressive peak of 5 million simultaneous users online. Compare that to EA's Origin service, which currently caters to only 9.3 million gamers, with only 1 million of those active per day.

Even though currently dwarfed by Steam, 9.3 million users is nothing to scoff at. Unless you're Notch, in which case the scoffing sounds a bit like this: "They should definitely have a chance to do their thing," he said, "but they might want to move away from titles that make people use it and show people why they should use it."

Still, one or two jabs aside, Notch still approves of the service, saying, "But I think, in principle, it's a good thing."

Source: Eurogamer [http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/minecraft/1220898p1.html]

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
EA + Origin...somehow = good thing?

Hold on a minute...

*door to room closes*

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAaaahhhhhh...

*door opens*

Ahem...

All things considered, I see what he's getting at. Competition does make for a better market; however, when I judge the worth of a person (or entity, in this case) by the sum of their dreams, beliefs and actions...yeah, I'm very skeptical of anything EA does or creates, no matter the intentions behind them. Not that being cynical of the whole corporate marketing thing helps any.

Cuz, you know, those seeds planted in my head long ago. Thanks Bill Hicks.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Sorry Notch, gotta disagree with ya here. It's a piece of intrusive shit on a stick wanting to be steam without the ethic or goodwill to users. How much did they pay you? Better yet...who killed notch and replaced him with an Origin OS robot?

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
I don't get it. This guy makes one huge game, makes a lot of money, then throws the money around (albeit nicely to charities/other indies) and suddenly everyone hangs on his every word like he is some kinda new age messiah or gaming industry savant? I don't get it. What has he really done to deserve the attention he gets? Why should I care what his opinion is over someone else's? I'm not asking to be a dick, I really don't understand what is so special about him.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
koroem said:
I don't get it. This guy makes one huge game, makes a lot of money, then throws the money around (albeit nicely to charities/other indies) and suddenly everyone hangs on his every word like he is some kinda new age messiah or gaming industry savant? I don't get it. What has he really done to deserve the attention he gets? Why should I care what his opinion is over someone else's?
This, so much this. As Notch has already pointed out himself, he's made ONE game that he's not even sure he'll be able to top - why is now suddenly the freakin guru of computer game economics?

TheMadJack

Apr 6, 2010
Notch shoving his own right foot down his throat. Again.

There is NO value in Crapigin. None. Maybe in 10 years there will be, but for the foreseeable future it'll remain an intrusive POS.

If you want to compete with Steam you have to offer something that it doesn't have and I'm not talking about titles. That's just being unfair to those who don't want to use that crap.

GOG has oldies, Desura and others have Indie games and other stuff. They each have their niche, but EA wants to flood the market with their shitty app that offer nothing of value. No service that isn't offered on Steam. So, why would I get it? To get "exclusive" titles? Nope. I don't want my games here and there tied to this or that other application. For me it's Steam or nothing.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Ok i'm sure he means the idea of Origin as competition for Steam is a good thing. Since apparently Origin is some sort of Anti-Christ of Digital Distribution.

Competition is always a good thing. Yes, even when Valve is involved. I've heard quite a few less than good things about Steam's (and Origin's!) customer service. Something about no refunds ever? I don't know. Pretty sure that's illegal in the UK at least.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I can see what he's getting at... simply that competition is a good thing, but Origin itself... not so much.

I think it's not necessary to repeat myself by scoffing at Origin, everything awful about Origin has already been said and with more hate.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Well more competition is good but there are plenty of other good distribution services like Green Man Gaming, Gamer's Gate, Impulse (if you don't hate gamestop).

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Yeah, I'd rephrase that a bit. The idea of Origin as competition to Steam is good. Origin itself however, is simply not good compared to Steam. It's categorically worse. The only reason people are using it right now is EA's games that are exclusive to it, i.e. Mass Effect 3 at the moment.

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Ok i'm sure he means the idea of Origin as competition for Steam is a good thing. Since apparently Origin is some sort of Anti-Christ of Digital Distribution.

Competition is always a good thing. Yes, even when Valve is involved. I've heard quite a few less than good things about Steam's (and Origin's!) customer service. Something about no refunds ever? I don't know. Pretty sure that's illegal in the UK at least.
False. Steam has given out refunds, and quite easily in the past. A cursory 5 second google revealed:

http://www.lo-ping.org/2011/08/18/valve-to-offer-refund-for-every-sold-copy-of-from-dust/

I received a refund for my purchase of the Back to the Future game, because it did not work on my system. Many people have received refunds from Steam. You cannot and will not receive a refund for "Game sucks" or "Did not like game" or "Can't play game, too hard." This is not gamestop, they are not required to listen to bullshit excuses.

Prove it. Show me one proven case of Steam refusing to provide a refund to a customer for a legitimate reason.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
VonKlaw said:
koroem said:
I don't get it. This guy makes one huge game, makes a lot of money, then throws the money around (albeit nicely to charities/other indies) and suddenly everyone hangs on his every word like he is some kinda new age messiah or gaming industry savant? I don't get it. What has he really done to deserve the attention he gets? Why should I care what his opinion is over someone else's?
This, so much this. As Notch has already pointed out himself, he's made ONE game that he's not even sure he'll be able to top - why is now suddenly the freakin guru of computer game economics?
It is quite funny to think that even the guy himself is saying they really should stop paying him so much respect n attention.

Apr 28, 2008
Yes, competition is a good thing. But is there really much competition happening right now?

Based on what Origin is currently doing, would Steam have to change at all to stay ahead?

Until Origin actually provides some benefits to using it other than being able to play EA games on the PC, I think I'll just keep not using it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i see where he's going with that, but ....

EA needs to pull their heads out of their asses before I'd call Origin 'competition'. cause right now it just EA games right? and give how much people 'love' EA there no real intensive there, unless you HAVE TO HAVE ME3, or CoD (i think, or was it battlefield, they look the same to me)

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Bradeck said:
The Wykydtron said:

False. Steam has given out refunds, and quite easily in the past. A cursory 5 second google revealed:

http://www.lo-ping.org/2011/08/18/valve-to-offer-refund-for-every-sold-copy-of-from-dust/

I received a refund for my purchase of the Back to the Future game, because it did not work on my system. Many people have received refunds from Steam. You cannot and will not receive a refund for "Game sucks" or "Did not like game" or "Can't play game, too hard." This is not gamestop, they are not required to listen to bullshit excuses.

Prove it. Show me one proven case of Steam refusing to provide a refund to a customer for a legitimate reason.
I 'unno sure I heard something like that once upon a time, damned if I can remember where from though. I suppose every business has their fair share of horror stories.

No need to go all defensive on me, I hardly even use Steam and you don't need to state the obvious. Of course Steam, or any other retailer for that matter shouldn't hand out refunds for such ludicrous reasons

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I have no problem with competition for Steam. Neither does Gabe, as competition encourages innovation. However, Origin is a piss-poor example of something to encourage, and a person like Notch should know better than to blatantly support this crappy service. If Origin mimicked Steam with no visible difference, that would be no big deal. If Origin actually improved on Steam to the benefit of everyone, that would be awesome. Instead, Origin enforced its failings and instead is a service that supports EA much more than its customers. That is not a business model that should be supported or endorsed.

Bad Notch, no block for you.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
Bradeck said:
The Wykydtron said:

I 'unno sure I heard something like that once upon a time, damned if I can remember where from though. I suppose every business has their fair share of horror stories.

No need to go all defensive on me, I hardly even use Steam and you don't need to state the obvious. Of course Steam, or any other retailer for that matter shouldn't hand out refunds for such ludicrous reasons
They will refund any game for any reason at least once, while explaining that this is a gesture of goodwill. Any further refunds must be for functionality reasons.