Beware BioShock's Boys of Silence

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Beware BioShock's Boys of Silence

[video=5500]
The Boys of Silence, the third of BioShock Infinite's "Heavy Hitters," may also be the weirdest.

The Handyman [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116226-Irrational-Reveals-the-First-BioShock-Infinite-Heavy-Hitter] will pound you into the ground. But the Boys of Silence do things a little differently.

"The Boys of Silence... I love them because they're just creepy," Ken Levine explains in the new "Heavy Hitters" trailer. "Rarely this happens, where I just see a concept and I'm like, 'Oh my god, we have to do that!'"

He described the Boys of Silence as being like the cameras of the original BioShock [http://www.amazon.com/Bioshock-Playstation-3/dp/B001B1W3GG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332265147&sr=8-1], but walking around and, because they're blind, listening for you rather than looking. Players can try to sneak around them or take them head on but if they're angered, they can call on other inhabitants of Columbia for help.

What sort of offensive capabilities the Boys will bring to the party isn't clear; will their screams actually cause damage or just attract a whole lot of unwanted attention? Either way, they're some seriously disturbing dudes. "He's going to be scary in the game," Levine added, "somebody the players are going to love to meet, but also hate to meet."

BioShock Infinite [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Infinite-Xbox-360/dp/B003O6EB70/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332265147&sr=8-3] comes out on October 16 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Nice. I'm really enjoying these videos - I always love learning more about what went into the design of something. And they're getting me more and more excited for BioShock: Infinite.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Christ, that's creepy.

Do want though!

ThaBenMan said:
Nice. I'm really enjoying these videos - I always love learning more about what went into the design of something. And they're getting me more and more excited for BioShock: Infinite.
Ya, it's really interesting. They're not just "winging" the design, but really thought through.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
The things Irrational can come up with never ceases to amaze me...if I had money, i'd be throwing it at the screen...

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
to be honest, I kinda think it would've been... idk, more of a surprise if they didn't reveal this one in these videos =P

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
When I first heard about Bioshock Infinite, I figured it'd be milking the cash cow. However, the more I hear about it, the more I'm interested. This is really starting to sound good...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
teh_Canape said:
to be honest, I kinda think it would've been... idk, more of a surprise if they didn't reveal this one in these videos =P
then stop reading the previews, lol

they appear to be somewhat comical, but i think the experience might be different...

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
weirdguy said:
teh_Canape said:

they appear to be somewhat comical, but i think the experience might be different...
I wasn't complaining at all
just strikes me as the kind of enemy they'd like to not mention to surprise players

12th_milkshake

Nov 20, 2008
I think the game will lose some exictment with all these reveals, i like finding things ingame, Yea i guess you could just not watch them... but you tend bump into this stuff when browsing.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
teh_Canape said:
weirdguy said:
teh_Canape said:

I wasn't complaining at all
just strikes me as the kind of enemy they'd like to not mention to surprise players
If that is an enemy they're willing to reveal, just think about what horrors they are keeping a secret...

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
teh_Canape said:
I think it's interesting that after showing off the Motorized Patriot and Handyman in action, the Boys of Silence trailer keep them almost entirely under wraps until a brief, two-second glance at the very end. Even though we get to see them, we still don't know anything about them - except that they're creepy as hell. It's a nice touch.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
If they function like the turrets, does that mean we get to hack them?

Should be fun though, I can imagine all the times someone will be, "Almost sneaked around it," only to have it scream behind them.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Can just imagine one of those times you are just about to succeed sneaking past and suddenly Elizabeth runs up shouting about something.