Epic Mickey 2 is a Musical

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Epic Mickey 2 is a Musical

Warren Spector has confirmed that Epic Mickey 2 is in the works - and it's a musical.

Despite his previous insistence [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105931-Spector-Says-Critics-Misunderstand-Epic-Mickey] that critics of Epic Mickey simply "misunderstood" the game, legendary designer Warren Spector now admits that he made a mistake keeping the characters silent in homage to the classic cartoons that inspired it. It's a mistake he won't repeat in the upcoming Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, and in fact he seems to be going in the completely opposite direction this time by making the game into a musical.

"I'm such a geek about musicals," Spector told the Associated Press [http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/03/21/national/a030848D85.DTL&type=business] at the Game Developers Conference earlier this month. "I love the co-op and next-gen stuff, but for me, when a character breaks into song, which they do on a regular basis in this game, it's magic."

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, an early Walt Disney character who was lost to a contract dispute in the 1920s and only returned to Disney's control in 2006, will return to reprise his role from the original game, but this time around he'll be a playable character. And even though he's never before spoken a single word, he'll be brought to life in Epic Mickey 2 provided by none other than famed voicemeister Frank Welker [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0919798/], better known as the voice of Megatron.

The new game will offer "drop-in, drop-out co-op" play, with Mickey still wielding his magical paint brush while Oswald has a remote control that can command electricity. "You can sit down at any time with a friend who is playing as Mickey, and you can take control of Oswald," Spector explained. "If you're playing as a single player, Oswald will be there every second of the game. He's not just a multiplayer character. He's a helper, whether you're playing alone or with a friend or family member."

Unlike the Wii-exclusive Epic Mickey [http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Epic-Mickey-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002I0GEXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332359223&sr=8-1], the follow-up will be a multi-platform release with versions for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 as well, and Spector said that the team has made a priority of correcting the camera problems that plagued the first game. "Our goal is that you will not have to touch the manual camera controls even once to play through the main story path of this game," he said.

Epic Mickey 2 will see the mouse return to the Wasteland and while some areas will be familiar, earthquakes and other disasters have dramatically changed its appearance. Player choices will once again have an impact on events in the game, and the songs and music will also change depending on whether Mickey is "well-mannered or michievous." The game is in development at Spector's Junction Point Studios and is currently expected to come in the fall.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Frank Welker isn't better known as the voice of Megatron, but the voice of about half the animated characters you've seen on TV or in the movies since the '70s. He's a God-damned legend.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
The fact that the game is a musical now makes me want it even more.

And the fact that it's Frank Welker, in a musical game, makes it somehow even more awesome!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
A musical? This game is going to be a musical?! Are they serious?!? A MUSICAL!?!

I can't wait to see how the musical bits of the game gel with the rest of the game. I never played the first but it looked like Super Mario Sunshine + fetch quests. I can't wait to see more about this one! I'm also going to hold out hope that it makes its way onto a portable system or two.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I looked into the first game and was struck by how much more impressive the concept art looked when all I knew about the game was a video I found on youtube.

This will be something I will look into reviews before getting.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, the first game was pretty decent, but not earth shattering as many hoped it to be, myself included.

I wasn't dissapointed by it, I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it wasn't certainly "memorable".

Being multiplatform is a great move in this day and age.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mortuorum said:
Frank Welker isn't better known as the voice of Megatron, but the voice of about half the animated characters you've seen on TV or in the movies since the '70s. He's a God-damned legend.
Sure, Welker has done a ton of voices, but there's no way you can convince me that just about everyone who recognizes the name doesn't immediately think "Megatron" for a split-second every time they hear it.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
This could be interesting depending on how they approach it. I'm not sure how well it could be pulled off (if at all), but having the musicals take place in-game and somehow affect the gameplay could lead to some creative stuff going on. But it's probably just going to be limited to cutscenes, and in that case just make sure they're more fun to sit through than KHII Atlantica.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Bad designer: "We tried to do something weird and different on this game and people didn't like it. Obviously they are clueless philistines. Let's do the exact same thing now."
Good designer: "We tried to do something weird and different on this game and people didn't like it. Let's be more conservative with that part of the design and focus the weirdness on other areas."
Great designer: "We tried to do something weird and different on this game and people didn't like it. Let's do something weird and different now that's the exact opposite of that."

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Remember that level in kingdom hearts that was a musical? Went well didn't it
this, SO MUCH THIS
>.< and this game will be more of that, only longer, i can feel it

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
The Rockerfly said:
Remember that level in kingdom hearts that was a musical? Went well didn't it
My thoughts exactly. And KH is also Disney-esque.

I'm not sure how good this could turn out. Musical stuff in games is only fun if you're part of it and if its the main focus of the game. KH's musical level failed because the game was so action packed and the plot was so intricate that going into Atlantica felt pretty random. No enemies to fight, no major plot development and it was almost kinda boring compared to the rest of the game. If the game would have been all about that, musicals, then it would be different. Think of the new upcoming FF games that uses music as attacks or whatever.

The problem wasn't the lack of voice acting in the first game. There's tons of silent characters that do wonders, i.e. Link, Gordon Freeman, Chelli, etc. The problem was the execution, if anything, although I didn't see that as a problem, but whatever. Going the exact opposite direction of that is a risky move, especially because we're already used to whatever the first game offered. It's as if we complain about a flood and as a solution, we're cast into the desert. So uh...I hate to doubt a game before its even released. But I can't see how this could work. I hope they can prove me wrong, though.

Xenominim

Jan 11, 2011
The Random One said:
Bad designer: "We tried to do something weird and different on this game and people didn't like it. Obviously they are clueless philistines. Let's do the exact same thing now."
Good designer: "We tried to do something weird and different on this game and people didn't like it. Let's be more conservative with that part of the design and focus the weirdness on other areas."
Great designer: "We tried to do something weird and different on this game and people didn't like it. Let's do something weird and different now that's the exact opposite of that."
I don't necessarily think that's a sign of a great designer. If you have an interesting core concept and it didn't pan out as well as you hoped, you can try and refine that idea with feedback. Starting over from scratch just means you can make a whole new set of mistakes instead and put yourself back to square one.

Which isn't really what I think is having with this game, it sounds like the game concepts are the same, just now it will have music which may or may not be part of the gameplay at all.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Not sure how this will work, but as long as the gameplay works (and we have actual voices this time around) I'll give it a look....

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Classic Disney. Even when they admit that they made a mistake, they totally miss on what that mistake was. By show of hands, how many of you didn't like Epic Mickey specifically because it didn't have music in it?

Yeah. That's what I thought.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
*yawn* 1 was hyped up rubbish two will be rubbish as well
wake me when there is actual game news

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Mortuorum said:
Sure, Welker has done a ton of voices, but there's no way you can convince me that just about everyone who recognizes the name doesn't immediately think "Megatron" for a split-second every time they hear it.
I always think "Scooby!" (Or "Fred!") personally.

Anyway.

I think this sounds pretty interesting. I'll be keeping an eye on this title.