Darksiders 2 Hands On Preview

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Darksiders 2 Hands On Preview

The Escapist gets some hands-on time with Vigil Games' Darksiders II.

Read Full Article

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Really excited for this game! It sounds so great. I really loved the first, but it had a lot of limitations. This game seems to be fulfilling the full potential of the first, and then some! The world sounds really huge too, can't wait to get exploring!

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Looks very interesting, although I kind of expected Death to have an even more skull-like head (especially with visible teeth) and wear a robe. I like Biblical (or religious imagery in general) in games. Anyway, I never got around to play the first game myself, though I may very well remedy this before getting into this game. Should be pretty cheap by now.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Darksiders 1 was a breath of fresh air. Loved it, it even managed a sort of cliffhanger ending that didnt bother me. Which is RARE.

Looking forward to this one.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I am looking forward to this, cause I liked the first Darksiders, but when is this game set?

After or parallel to Darksiders 1?

Cause at the end of 1 you get told why you, unintentionally, got summoned and how you, got blamed for it. And the other Horsemen are coming too help War in the end.

Did all this escape Death, harr harr, and the guys who sent you out in the start, or has it been explained and I've just missed it?

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
therandombear said:
I am looking forward to this, cause I liked the first Darksiders, but when is this game set?

After or parallel to Darksiders 1?

Cause at the end of 1 you get told why you, unintentionally, got summoned and how you, got blamed for it. And the other Horsemen are coming too help War in the end.

Did all this escape Death, harr harr, and the guys who sent you out in the start, or has it been explained and I've just missed it?
The story of this one is set parallel to the first. I'm guessing by the fact Death is trying to clear War's name it's set between the intro sequence and the rest of the story of the first game.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Actually I kind of like how Death looks and the visual style of the game. The first Darksiders kind of threw me off, with a mopey War who was decked out in ridiculous levels of armor, trying too hard to be Kratos. Darksiders II looks more World of Warcraft, with Death as a kind of Forsaken rogue, and having been one of those I'm cool with this style.

Reion 13

Oct 26, 2011
Wait wait wait. I get to play as death? And fight demons? Then giant robots? Im sold.

Shady Dealer

Jun 8, 2009
Gonna be a damn good day. I loved Darksiders 1 thought i wish it were longer and elaborated on War ab it more. But the story was rich the characters both awsome and hilarious at points (Vulgrim!!) And i cannot wait for this one.

aemroth

Mar 17, 2010
SnakeoilSage said:
Actually I kind of like how Death looks and the visual style of the game. The first Darksiders kind of threw me off, with a mopey War who was decked out in ridiculous levels of armor, trying too hard to be Kratos. Darksiders II looks more World of Warcraft, with Death as a kind of Forsaken rogue, and having been one of those I'm cool with this style.
Actually, I don't really see Kratos as much as i see Kain. And Death somewhat as Raziel. The first is slow and and a heavy hitter, associated with red and the second one is fast and agile and associated with bluish/purple. Even the body types fit.

Can't really complain, being a LoK fan :)

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Why doesn't Death have a mouth? What else will the be ripping off this time, apart from possibly the dungeon crawler Torchlight/Diablo affair with random classy loot in chests? Will there be a small playfully dumb sphere to accompany our blue and orange portal gun this time, or will there instead be special three word shouts that Death gets to use to demolish his (its?) enemies?

I am actually excited for this, having thought quite positively of the first one, even with, or maybe despite, or possibly even because of, its rampant kleptomania. Though, looking back on it, I can't really remember much about it, except for my opinion of it being solidly "B+". I remember a few puzzles, a bit of the ending, then...nothing. Huh. I remember liking it despite it taking the piss, and finding it appealing while mocking it's ludicrousness. Hopefully the second shares that quality, but with less "I forget why I actually like it".

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
aemroth said:
Actually, I don't really see Kratos as much as i see Kain. And Death somewhat as Raziel. The first is slow and and a heavy hitter, associated with red and the second one is fast and agile and associated with bluish/purple. Even the body types fit.

Well Kain was never a heavy armor-wearer, and unlike Kratos or War, Kain actually enjoyed himself from time to time, letting out a sadistic laugh or dropping a groaner one-liner. I get the contrast: Kain is tall and red, Raziel blue and spindly. But as personalities go I just didn't relate to War much. Yahtzee said it best, really, that whole "I am a monster truck that walks like a man!" bit.

aemroth

Mar 17, 2010
SnakeoilSage said:
aemroth said:

Well Kain was never a heavy armor-wearer, and unlike Kratos or War, Kain actually enjoyed himself from time to time, letting out a sadistic laugh or dropping a groaner one-liner. I get the contrast: Kain is tall and red, Raziel blue and spindly. But as personalities go I just didn't relate to War much. Yahtzee said it best, really, that whole "I am a monster truck that walks like a man!" bit.
Well, if it was completely alike, i'd have to say it was a rip-off, wouldn't i? :)