Dust 514 Fanfest Preview

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Dust 514 Fanfest Preview

A cold wet and blustery day feels an appropriate Icelandic start to Eve Fanfest 2012.

Read Full Article

Apr 28, 2008
Every time I hear about this game, my mind gets blown.

I mean, a shooter on the PS3, interacting with an MMO on the PC at such a level...

Just blows my mind. Cannot wait to try this out for myself.

Feriluce

Apr 1, 2010
Irridium said:

I mean, a shooter on the PS3, interacting with an MMO on the PC at such a level...

My mind is blown by the stupidity of making it a PS3 exclusive. It just makes so little sense that I'm wondering if its just a huge troll from CCP.

Apr 28, 2008
Feriluce said:
Irridium said:

My mind is blown by the stupidity of making it a PS3 exclusive. It just makes so little sense that I'm wondering if its just a huge troll from CCP.
Well there's no way Microsoft would let them do something like this, but I'm also not sure why they didn't make it for the PC as well. Maybe to get it on the PS3 they had to make a deal with Sony to keep it exclusive. Would make sense, since it gives Sony something they could use to pimp how "open" the PS3 is compared to the competition or something like that.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
The more I see of this game the more i'm excited. I've always been interested in EVE Online but never had the time to properly invest in it, but maybe this can make me feel like I am a part of the EVE universe.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Man, two different games being able to interact from different systems. Seems like such a sweet idea. But whats to stop some rogue EVE player from just bombarding everyone for teh lols.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Tiger Sora said:
Man, two different games being able to interact from different systems. Seems like such a sweet idea. But whats to stop some rogue EVE player from just bombarding everyone for teh lols.
from the looks of it this is attached to sovereignty
so its a alliance level interaction

which also means alliance run dust teams are going to be LOADED

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Tiger Sora said:
From the FanFest vid where they presented the system it looked that first, the player on ground needs to give the player in EVE special code, and then it's the player on ground who selects target after which the ship fires it's cannons.
So You can't really just fly by and nuke crap randomly, you need to interact with people on ground.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Magichead said:
I think there are also time limitations on how often you can call in an orbital etc etc, remember during the presentation video they were using massive devhax and said as much.
I think the biggest limitation really is the fact someone else might fly by and just shoot You out of the orbit. That's usually how "limitations" work in EVE.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
It's really too bad they aren't releasing this on the PC, cuz they've pretty much alienated an entire half (or more) of the FPS market doing it on console, after all, if you have what ammounts to an mmofps, wouldn't PC be a more viable market, what with a new generation of consoles coming out within the next couple years, wouldn't it be a better strategy to build for a platform that won't be overshadowed by it's larger more powerful decendant when it pops off the factory floor and into stores.

If you have a game, on PC that's a MMO of the scale of EVE, and then make a game that's going to be integral to system control, on a console that'll soon be considered OLD NEWS, doesn't that seem a rather... I dunno, detrimental decision on their part?

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
DoomyMcDoom said:
It's really too bad they aren't releasing this on the PC, cuz they've pretty much alienated an entire half (or more) of the FPS market doing it on console, after all, if you have what ammounts to an mmofps, wouldn't PC be a more viable market, what with a new generation of consoles coming out within the next couple years, wouldn't it be a better strategy to build for a platform that won't be overshadowed by it's larger more powerful decendant when it pops off the factory floor and into stores.

If you have a game, on PC that's a MMO of the scale of EVE, and then make a game that's going to be integral to system control, on a console that'll soon be considered OLD NEWS, doesn't that seem a rather... I dunno, detrimental decision on their part?
I think the reason is CCP wasn't able to develop the game from their own pocket while also having to work on EVE and World of Darkness MMO. The exclusive deal with Sony brought some additional money in as well as help in terms of development from Sony devs (tho I guess that was mostly with specifics of PS3 system and cross-platform integration)

Mind You that's mostly speculations based on some snippets from when DUST was first announced to public.

Pretty much only thing stopping me from getting PS3 to play this game is the fact I simply can't stand playing shooters with pad. It feels so unnatural to me. Mouse or death.

Feriluce

Apr 1, 2010
Irridium said:
Feriluce said:
Irridium said:

Well there's no way Microsoft would let them do something like this, but I'm also not sure why they didn't make it for the PC as well. Maybe to get it on the PS3 they had to make a deal with Sony to keep it exclusive. Would make sense, since it gives Sony something they could use to pimp how "open" the PS3 is compared to the competition or something like that.
They are, however, cutting off the people who'll be most likely to play this game, namely eve players. They even gave beta to eve players before anyone else. Its just silly.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Keava said:
DoomyMcDoom said:
I think the reason is CCP wasn't able to develop the game from their own pocket while also having to work on EVE and World of Darkness MMO. The exclusive deal with Sony brought some additional money in as well as help in terms of development from Sony devs (tho I guess that was mostly with specifics of PS3 system and cross-platform integration)

Mind You that's mostly speculations based on some snippets from when DUST was first announced to public.

Pretty much only thing stopping me from getting PS3 to play this game is the fact I simply can't stand playing shooters with pad. It feels so unnatural to me. Mouse or death.
Sounds likely enough, still, the plan seems just... Not all that well thought out to me, just kinda smells like a bad business choice.

And I'm right there with you, if I'm gaming on a console I almost never play shooters for that exact reason, I have a gaming PC so I play my shooters there, just better feeling controls with a mouse/keyboard.

srodney

Nov 18, 2009
DoomyMcDoom said:

I personally believe its the numbers. If we take this source as gospel for Battlefield 3 http://www.gamezone.com/products/battlefield-3/news/battlefield-3-xbox-360-sales-nearly-double-ps3 Written on November 3rd 2011

Xbox - 2,249,092 Sold
PS3 - 1,486,067 Sold
PC - 487,181 Sold
Total - 4,222,340 Sold

Even for a popular series the PC sales are not even close to the console sales. For a new and untested IP? I wouldn't even consider a port to PC.