God of War Novels Due in March 2010

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
God of War Novels Due in March 2010

Kratos will be continuing his violent, bloody rampage into new forms of media - this time, he'll be growling angrily through the pages of the first in a series of God of War novelizations that will shelves in early 2010.

The novels will be penned by Matthew Stover [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Stover], who might be recognized by fans of the Star Wars Expanded Universe as the author of Clone Wars-era novel Shatterpoint, as well as a handful of other Star Wars titles including the novelization of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. I've never read any of them, so I can't rightly speak about the man's talent (or lack thereof, perhaps,) but here's what the official blurb has to say about the novels, simply titled God Of War:

[blockquote]In the novel God Of War, Kratos, the game's protagonist, is a great warrior who seeks revenge on the God of War Ares for the deaths of his wife and child. On his journey to Olympus, Kratos must battle great monsters of legend--and fight his own inner demons ... Kratos' quest will take him through a world of Greek mythology transformed, in which the familiar legends take on a terrifying new life--from the Aegean, where Kratos will grapple with the Great Hydra, to the depths of Hades, where Kratos will face death itself, to the heights of Mount Olympus. With all the thrilling action that got fans hooked on the game, the novel God Of War takes us deeper into this fascinating world.[/blockquote]

...yep, sounds like the games, all right. Naturally, everybody's going to be very disappointed if the books don't viscerally describe - in exacting, precise detail - the gore as Kratos disembowels a satyr. With his teeth.

This announcement comes on the heels of a supposed reveal of details about the GoW movie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93117-God-of-War-Movie-Ditches-Original-Games-Ending], and one can only suspect that this is an attempt to keep would-be consumers' interest in the series high during the wait for the third act in the God of War trilogy. Well ... if it is, it's working.

Once finished with the book, readers are encouraged to viciously break its spine and messily rip out its pages.

(CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=219463])

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
This is a bad idea. Part of the appeal of the GoW games is the visual spectacle - the epic landscapes, the crazy monsters, and the copious amounts of blood and gore. It just won't translate well to text, I think.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
ThaBenMan said:
This is a bad idea. Part of the appeal of the GoW games is the visual spectacle - the epic landscapes, the crazy monsters, and the copious amounts of blood and gore. It just won't translate well to text, I think.
Certain writers have a skill for doing that. Certainly the Warhammer writers.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
"after correctly pressing the coloured stone tablets in front of him Kratos was able to move forward into the cave, past the decapitated Cyclops, to continue he's bloody rampage through hades"

Not sure how accurate that is to the final novel, but it'd be a nice touch I think.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Somebody once told me that the Star Wars novels of Episodes I-III are actually better than their movie counterparts. Of course, that's not too difficult, I suppose.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
I'll never be able to finish the books. Either they'll suck and I'll put them down from boredom, or if they're done well, I'll be overwhelmed by manliness midway through and eat the next few dozen pages before finally calming down.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Maybe they will make up for the lack of visuals with lots of sex.

Perhaps a God of War romance novel then?

5stringedbandit

Jun 6, 2009
messy said:
"after correctly pressing the coloured stone tablets in front of him Kratos was able to move forward into the cave, past the decapitated Cyclops, to continue he's bloody rampage through hades"

Not sure how accurate that is to the final novel, but it'd be a nice touch I think.
*Until you work out what to do in this room you are not allowed to read any further, hurtle book towards wall before reading on. After this small puzzle sequence which had a surprisingly easy outcome Kratos carried on thy bloody rampage, continuously tap this book until your hands ache, his head has been dismembered..."

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
ThaBenMan said:
Graphic novels. The only way they will work.
Just narrative will be pointless, unless it's written by Conn Iggulden or Steven Saylor.

BloodyOne

Mar 23, 2009
They have some pretty awesome artwork, so I guess a Graphic Novel would be visually entertaining.

I hope that the author can describe every single evisceration, gored corpse, rivulets of flowing crimson blood with an uncanny sheen, mutilated and worn face of an opponent, racking and stuttering screams of the emaciated sacrificial prisoners as they withdraw behind the gaping maw of a great beast with its shaggy mane of flames whose very breath shapes clouds that would melt pillars of stone and smelt mithril ore.

Otherwise it won?t be all that interesting.
Either way, I?ll wager that people will attempt to reenact the novels word-for-word as best they can.
Also, they could provide more insight into the psyche of Kratos.

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
http://www.vg247.com/2009/07/15/dc-to-release-god-of-war-comics-this-fall/comment-page-1/#comment-88024

This makes more sense.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Shatterpoint was fucking brutal for a Star Wars novel. Truly excellent.