Legend of Grimrock Goes Gold

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Legend of Grimrock Goes Gold

The old-school dungeon crawler Legend of Grimrock is gold.

At long last, and after a long stretch of testing to ensure that all is well, the team at Almost Human has announced that Legend of Grimrock [http://www.grimrock.net/] is gold. "Everybody at the office is totally jazzed up and we really can't keep our pants on much longer," the team said in the announcement, in what may or may not have been a figure of speech.

"It's been a long and challenging journey but we have finally reached this important milestone," it continued. "But we don't think it's the end of the road, more like a fork in the road with ways branching into all sorts of interesting directions: iOS, Mac, map editor, sequel, new IP, living in a dumpster totally broke..."

Despite the lateness of the hour, the team decided to crank out one final build last week to fix a few minor bugs and tweak a couple of monster stats. In fact, three separate release candidates have been put out over the past two weeks. "None of the issues were critical and we could have waited for a post-launch patch but we really can't keep our fingers off this thing, it seems!" the team said.

Legend of Grimrock combines old-school dungeon crawl gameplay with contemporary graphics and sound for a game that strives to bring the classic Dungeon Master [http://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Master-II-Legend-Skullkeep-Pc/dp/B000EUNABW/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1332777349&sr=1-2] gameplay experience to modern audiences. The grid-based play may seem unusual to gamers used to flowing, unfettered movement and combat, but the screens and videos revealed thus far make it look absolutely fantastic.

The team is now at work on a proper launch trailer, pre-release interviews and other such matters. Full launch details, including a proper, precise release date, are expected to be released later this week.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Sees name -> Gets really excited

Notices it's an "r" instead of an "l" beginning the second half of the final word -> Insanely depressed.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Me am Grimrock me am king!

Delock said:
Sees name -> Gets really excited

Notices it's an "r" instead of an "l" beginning the second half of the final word -> Insanely depressed.
Yeah pretty much everyone experiences this.

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
Looks pretty cool, though not entirely sure if I'll get it, but I will say... that soundtrack... I'd definitely buy that. Fantastic music.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I think it's more than just "pretty cool." Maybe it's because I'm old but I think this game is looking absolutely phenomenal and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I hope it does very, very well.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Yeah, I'm pretty excited for this one.

It's kind of interesting that they went with a VERY literal translation of Dungeon Master, just with modern graphics. Don't see that a lot in this genre, usually companies are trying reinvent the wheel in some way.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
That sounds pretty cool, I'll have to keep an eye on this game...