Next Grand Theft Auto in the Works, Out By 2011?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Next Grand Theft Auto in the Works, Out By 2011?

The next Grand Theft Auto game has been in development at Rockstar North for more than a year now, and is on pace to come out before the end of Take-Two's fiscal 2011, according Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter.

Take-Two's future seems to be a lot brighter than its present nowadays. 2009 is looking pretty grim aside from the release of Grand Theft Auto IV DLC episode The Ballad of Gay Tony, but 2010 could mark a huge turnaround with BioShock 2 and other big name titles making their delayed debuts, and 2011, well, that could be even better, if Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter is right.

Pachter claims that he's confirmed with Take-Two that the next Grand Theft Auto game is currently in development, and has been so for more than a year now. "Management also told us that the team at Rockstar North is highly motivated to get the game out, and that the team understands that its highest payday will come from working on GTA instead of any other game," Pachter said.

According to Pachter, the new GTA will use the "same engines as the last version," which, presumably, could mean that development will be comparatively speedy. Just how fast are we talking about, though? Like, done-in-2010 fast? Pachter doesn't want to go that far. "When we do the simple math, we conclude that the next installment is likely to be completed by some time in 2010," he said. "Although given the frequency of game delays, it is not clear that it will necessarily come before October 31, 2010."

Instead, Pachter thinks the game will see release "before the end" of Take-Two's fiscal year 2011, which begins in November 2010. That means we could see the new Grand Theft Auto - whatever it is - toward the very end of 2010 or some time in 2011. Wishful thinking or a rational outlook? Depends on how much you trust Pachter, I suppose.

[Via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24417]]

CNKFan

Aug 20, 2008
I just hope that the cars do not handle like ass this time around. Also I want it in Vice City so I can see what 20-ish years of being a drug-lord has done to Tommy Vercetti.

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
I wanna see this set in Vice City or San Andreas, or better yet one of the old places.

Sir-Tdb

Jul 14, 2009
Grand theft auto holland, here we come... nah, as good as the GTA series may be, GTA 4 wasn't as good as GTA 3 for its style or GTA san andreas for its 'freedom' ( in my oppinion)

GTA 4 was more like the money child of the GTA family that got choked at birth by its own graphics.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Thank the fates.
I thought they were going to milk GTA4 until the next generation, just making more overpriced DLC for the quick easy bucks.

Hopefully the next one will be a little more like the fun GTAs and less like a dumbed down GTA clone. We need the return of Rampages, Miniguns, Tanks, Businesses, rewards, customization, side missions....

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
iamq said:
A new GTA? jack Thompson would be asshamed...
Really? I'd be ashamed of being disbarred and being made into a total laughing-stock by my peers in the Law Field.

And Rockstar: Vice City. That is all.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
I have always thought of GTAIV as a prototype for the new engine. I found it incomplete compared to GTA San Andreas, which had a lot more options.

I have an optimistic view on the next GTA, since they have the engine (Euphoria ftw =D), and need but to perfect it, and really focus on the game play.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Ollie596 said:
GTA London remake come on!
Huh, that's exactly what I was going to say except... the other way around...

Come on GTA London!

Then again I'd be happy with a GIANT version of Vice City. Think of the prettyness!

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Psychosocial said:
As always, don't believe in a single word said by that man. He speaks out his ass, and is a moron.

As much as I'd love another GTA, I doubt it.
Agreed, for an "analyst" this seems to be a fairly obvious prediction.
Obviously one of the most popular franchises will see another release in the next 2 years.
Can I get a job as an analyst? I think I could be on par with Mr Pachter.

Im hoping for Vice City or another GTA: London game. Their both good settings.

Also, never thoughT I would say this but I hope Rockstar and Take Two have played Saints Row 2 and remember to put a bit more FUN into the next GTA.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Definitely Vice City, or an entirely new city setting (like Carcer City.) Also rampages must return! And Lazlo yes, an entire radio station for him, no. Frankly I liked him most as a dj in Vice City, what was it, Vulture Radio? One more thing: Don't dip the graphics in tea this next time.

Simski Burkez

Jun 3, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
Thank the fates.
I thought they were going to milk GTA4 until the next generation, just making more overpriced DLC for the quick easy bucks.

Hopefully the next one will be a little more like the fun GTAs and less like a dumbed down GTA clone. We need the return of Rampages, Miniguns, Tanks, Businesses, rewards, customization, side missions....
I don't think that the DLC was overpriced, considering that it provided more hours of gameplay than you get in numerous full games.
But I agree that it needs to bring back the rampages & general fun craziness of the old games.

Fingers crossed that it's going back to London!!!

Sharpeye42

Mar 26, 2009
this better be good and have less urban and more wilderness, more of San Andreas than a Liberty City.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Hmm... I guess one in LA would be nice, or anywhere else in Cali. MAybe one in Florida? Play as an retired old gangster brought back? Instead of shooting people you hit them with your cane?!? GOLD!!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Simski Burkez said:
GonzoGamer said:
Thank the fates.

I don't think that the DLC was overpriced, considering that it provided more hours of gameplay than you get in numerous full games.
But I agree that it needs to bring back the rampages & general fun craziness of the old games.

Fingers crossed that it's going back to London!!!
Yes, a GTA London would be very cool, though I hope if they do, it's a retro style game in early 80s late 70s. The music from the UK was a lot better around that time.

I can dig that they threw in a lot of new missions for the dlc, but that's pretty much all that was new; worth mentioning. It was just a rehash of all the same assets and probably should've been priced at $10 for what it was. It would've been worth the $20 if it had any of the missing activities or that added landmass that was hinted at: even if it was Staten Island.