Wasteland 2 Creator Decries "Awful" Developer-Publisher Relations

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wasteland 2 Creator Decries "Awful" Developer-Publisher Relations

[kickstarter=wasteland-2]​
Wasteland 2 creator Brian Fargo says too many game developers are subject to "abysmal" treatment at the hands of publishers.

Brian Fargo has raised over $1.6 million [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2] in private funding for a new Wasteland game and he's still got almost three full weeks to get that number even higher. That kind of money affords him the freedom to make the kind of game he wants without worrying about focus groups or nervous publishers, but most studios don't have that sort of luxury. The truth of the matter, according to Fargo, is that most relationships between developers and publishers these days is are pretty ugly.

"There is more tension than you can believe. You would not believe the stories you hear about how developers are treated by publishers these days," he told Ripten [http://www.ripten.com/2012/03/27/brian-fargo-talks-wasteland-2-abysmal-publisher-treatment-and-having-fun-again/3/]. "It is abysmal."

Development studios don't make more noise about the problem because if they do, they can forget about future contracts. He used the recent situation at Obsidian, which lost out on its bonus for single Metacritic point [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Xbox-360/dp/B0028IBTL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332970421&sr=8-1], as an example of the imbalance of power.

"They did Fallout: New Vegas, the ship date got moved up and, who does the QA on a project? The publisher is always in charge of QA. When a project goes out buggy, it's not the developer. The developer never says, 'I refuse to fix the bug,' or, 'I don't know how.' They never do that. It's the publisher that does the QA," he said.

"So, [Fallout: New Vegas] goes out buggy and they didn't do the QA, their ship date got moved up and they missed their Metacritic rating by one point," he continued. "Did they get a bonus? No. Do you think that's fair?"

Fargo said that he can't speak for all publishers because he hasn't worked with all publishers, but he claimed that everything that happened in his hilarious pitch video actually happened in real life. "The only thing that I elaborated on was the Farmville request, because that was done via Facebook, rather than on the phone," he said. "But it's true. I would be waiting for people to call me back to give me a response, and they would send me Farmville requests all day long, but they couldn't return a phone call."

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Well you know what poeple get nervous when giving someone else $50 million of their own money, odd that, cant think why.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
That child executive is fucking awesome. He really needs a major movie role or something.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
I can respect the classics, I'm obviously too young to have experience the time when the Top-Down RPG Turnbased strategic genre was "it", but I love Dragon Age: Origins combat purely because of Cross-Class Combo's and the Pause-And-Play Combat. I abhor turn-based games. Maybe there's a difference between Western Turn-Based and JRPG Turn-Based but frankly, other than pure Strategy games like Civilization, I hate the turn based combat. So, what I would ask, as a gamer, is can there be room for, while still respecting the spirit of retro-gaming and its golden age of RPG history, modernization such as combat experience in modern day RPG's, like Dragon Age: Origins?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
First of all, I already gave this man 75 dollars.

Second, I saw that video when he first made the pitch, but what surprises me is that all that was true? He really did have to deal with those kinds of people? How can you love fallout 3 but not know that there was a 1 and 2? And these people are supposed to be in the gaming industry. The stupid.....too much.....pain...

3rd, publishers treat people in general like crap. They treat their staff and their customers like crap. It's part of the reason why I'm ok with the FTC complaint about ME3 and false advertising. They need to learn that they can't just get away with this.

Rylian

Dec 7, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
First of all, I already gave this man 75 dollars.

Second, I saw that video when he first made the pitch, but what surprises me is that all that was true? He really did have to deal with those kinds of people? How can you love fallout 3 but not know that there was a 1 and 2? And these people are supposed to be in the gaming industry. The stupid.....too much.....pain...

3rd, publishers treat people in general like crap. They treat their staff and their customers like crap. It's part of the reason why I'm ok with the FTC complaint about ME3 and false advertising. They need to learn that they can't just get away with this.
It's the golden rule, my friend.

"He who has the gold makes the rules."

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"They did Fallout: New Vegas, the ship date got moved up and, who does the QA on a project? The publisher is always in charge of QA. When a project goes out buggy, it's not the developer. The developer never says, 'I refuse to fix the bug,' or, 'I don't know how.' They never do that. It's the publisher that does the QA," he said.

"So, [Fallout: New Vegas] goes out buggy and they didn't do the QA, their ship date got moved up and they missed their Metacritic rating by one point," he continued. "Did they get a bonus? No. Do you think that's fair?"
That's extremely fulfilling to read. Perhaps people could now lay off a little on the Obsidian/bugginess bashing?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Soviet Heavy said:
Holy crap, they got Michael Stackpole to write this! That is going to be awesome!
You may not realize this but Stackpole (along with Ken St. Andre, who's also on the Wasteland 2 team) worked with Fargo on the original Wasteland in 1988. So it's really not just Brian Fargo trading on a distant, semi-famous name, it's a reunion of the main players who made the original game great. That's what makes the prospect so exciting - this isn't a Syndicate or XCom situation, this is a new Wasteland done by the guys who did the old Wasteland.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Holy crap, they got Michael Stackpole to write this! That is going to be awesome!
You may not realize this but Stackpole (along with Ken St. Andre, who's also on the Wasteland 2 team) worked with Fargo on the original Wasteland in 1988. So it's really not just Brian Fargo trading on a distant, semi-famous name, it's a reunion of the main players who made the original game great. That's what makes the prospect so exciting - this isn't a Syndicate or XCom situation, this is a new Wasteland done by the guys who did the old Wasteland.
Wasteland was before my time, so my exposure to Stackpole comes through the X-Wing books. Still, it's awesome that he's on the team. I love his writing style.

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
I remember playing and absolutely loving Wasteland as a kid. Fallout 1 & 2 always felt like a natural extension of that game, and I wonder if Mr. Fargo is inviting legal issues from Bethesda by treading so closely to their IP.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I've never played Wasteland (and I admit, I'd never heard of it until recently), and I wasn't interested in this Kickstarter project. But I'm donating now. This is a man after my own heart.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
I am all over this. My favorite games were Bards Tale I and II (no idea what you were smoking with 3) and Wasteland (how many times did I re-roll to get good starting stats lol). Figuring out 6 names, do I wnat to clerics a rogue, etc. Or in Wasteland a .45 and an AK. I never completed wasteland and got stuck. I found the game recently, but the heal issue kills me....literally..

I also liked Icewind Dale, Lands of Lore Might and magic III, Space Quest, etc.. ahh the late 80's early 90's.

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Soviet Heavy said:
So, what you're saying is:

"We're getting the band back together."

"We're on a mission from God."

Got it. Time to donate.