Eidos Trademarks Kane & Lynch 2

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Eidos Trademarks Kane & Lynch 2

Eidos has made the Kane & Lynch sequel official with their trademark for Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days.

Even before Kane & Lynch became synonymous with already had a sequel coming [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/79445-Gamespot-Editor-Fired-Rumors-Say-Eidos-Did-It]. "We've already got Kane & Lynch 2 in production," then Eidos CEO Jane Cavanagh said in 2007. "Which just goes to show the belief we have in it as a long-term franchise."

Who knows if the Kane & Lynch 2 recently revealed in an Eidos trademark filing [http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77776337] is the same one that Eidos had been planning way back in the days when they seemed to think they had a surefire blockbuster on their hands, but it's coming anyway - Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days. Yeesh, first they were Dead Men and now they're having Dog Days? No wonder those two dudes look so damn pissed off in the box art.

The trademark was filed on July 8 and recently updated yesterday, and is due to be examined by an attorney who will no doubt give it the okay stamp. If the game's been in development for this long, it should have no problem making a release date to coincide with the upcoming Kane & Lynch movie, which will star Bruce Willis (as Kane or Lynch, I'm not sure) and reportedly start filming later this year.

I sort of enjoyed the first Kane & Lynch, which I played just to experience what kind of game could get one of the top men in this racket fired, but I can't recall ever wanting a sequel. There was a lot of squandered potential with the first game, sure, but do any of you care about this franchise anymore?

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
Absolutely! The first one was a bit rough around the edges, but the cinematic moments that referenced the high points in movies like Heat and Collateral made up for it. Hopefully, people can disassociate the game from the negative memories related to the Gerstmann controversy that hurt the first one.

The Patient Mental

Jun 30, 2009
It wasn't so much the Gerstmann thing that got me, but the "misleading" reviews on their website. Those stars were so OBVIOUSLY just part of the page design, right, Eidos?

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Hopefully it'll be better than the first game. I actually also enjoyed the first one somewhat, but it was still fairly mediocre. It did have a lot of potential though. Potential that I'm hoping will be fulfilled with this game.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
Cool. I loved the first one but where could they take the story. The first one didn't exactly end in a sequel producing way.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Darkrai said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Wake me up when Freedom Fighters 2 is announced ffs.
Ok...*Watches you go into a coma for the next 17 years* This is boring
The bastards left it open ended with a great mechanic that could easily be built upon to create some intense squad on squad combat, and yet they do nothing. Oh wait, they do something, they create Kane and Lynch. I'm glad people enjoyed the game, but...

Fuck you IO Interactive and Eidos.

Fuck you.

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
I loved online Kane and Lynch, except when you get stuck on a team with a bunch of assholes who you KNOW are like 12 years alone and want to play a game where you can kill your teammates. Also the first half of the campaign was pretty cool, right up intil it randomly brought you to south america to help rebels overthrow the government or whatever. I was looking forward to a game where two psychopaths rob banks and shoot up the city, but I was really dissapointed.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Darkrai said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Wake me up when Freedom Fighters 2 is announced ffs.
Ok...*Watches you go into a coma for the next 17 years* This is boring
The bastards left it open ended with a great mechanic that could easily be built upon to create some intense squad on squad combat, and yet they do nothing. Oh wait, they do something, they create Kane and Lynch. I'm glad people enjoyed the game, but...

Fuck you IO Interactive and Eidos.

Fuck you.
I never played Kane and Lynch, but reading that they made Freedom Fighters and I did enjoy that for the Gamecube(God the times with my brothers and sister were awesome) leaves me sad

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Really enjoyed the first one, I hope they talk crap about the game press in the sequel.

Just for a laugh.