EMI Sues Def Jam Rapstar Devs

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EMI Sues Def Jam Rapstar Devs

The complexities of music ownership have landed 4mm Games and Terminal Reality in legal hot water.

4mm Games and Terminal Reality, the studios behind music game Def Jam Rapstar [http://www.amazon.com/Def-Jam-Rapstar-Bundle-Xbox-360/dp/B003JD7QVG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1333131670&sr=1-1], are squarely in the sights of music industry behemoth EMI over some rather complicated allegations that they failed to acquire the proper rights to numerous songs used in the game. EMI is claiming infringement on 54 songs and wants $150,000 in damages per song, adding up to $8.1 million in total at a bare minimum, plus probably a slice of the profits, legal fees and whatever else a court deems fair.

What makes the case a complex one is the fact that EMI is claiming only part ownership in songs: ten percent of DJ Khaled's "I'm So Hood," 16 percent of MIMS' "This Is Why I'm Hot," 30 percent of Lil Wayne's "Got Money" and so forth. Even worse, EMI is claiming damages based on samples of songs it owns that were used in songs by other artists that were then used in the game, like "Stronger" by Kanye West, which features samples from Daft Punk's "Harder Better Faster Stronger."

Also potentially problematic is that Def Jam Rapstar allows players to make video clips of themselves "performing" songs and then upload them to community websites, which could violate EMI's rights to the distribution, display and public performances of said songs.

The twisted maze of ownership rights could explain why the full rights weren't acquired despite the participation of Def Jam, a label owned by Universal Music Group, another industry giant. The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/emi-def-jam-rapstar-video-game-lawsuit-305434] says EMI was given a list of songs intended for the game, while EMI says it notified the studios about its rights to the songs but was ignored. Despite their roles in the game, neither Def Jam nor UMG are named in the suit.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That's probably more than it made in sales.

Or did Def Jam Rapstar sell way more than I thought?

xedobubble

Apr 2, 2009
Interesting... I keep hearing about college kids being sued by the IRA for tens of millions of dollars for sharing music. Video game company tries to make a commercial product based on music, and the suit is for a (relatively) more reasonable amount. Of course, the former is a scare tactic and the latter is a business deal.

I've been thinking a lot about this, having just read Lawrence Lessig's Free Culture. A very good book that explores in great detail the impact of the internet and intellectual property laws on each other and on us (and that's free as in free market, not like free anarchy). I highly recommend it to everyone! Especially in light of the upcoming rumors about the next-gen machines being designed to block used games.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm not sure how you own 10% of a song.

DVS BSTrD said:
Someone better call EA, cause it looks like EMI has got a bit of a...

*insert avatar*

Def Jam Vendetta
Puns like that will make you an Icon.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
I think the whole licencing thing needs to be scrapped and re-written from the ground up by someone who isn't a greedy dick head.

so far no candidates for the re-write though

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm not sure how you own 10% of a song.

DVS BSTrD said:
Someone better call EA, cause it looks like EMI has got a bit of a...

*insert avatar*

Def Jam Vendetta
Puns like that will make you an Icon.
You're pretty good too. Maybe you two should Fight for NY

I know. That fucking sucked.

On topic though, reading this and being reminded that there are corporations profiting from art they had no part in creating and then profiting more via lawsuits, where they claim ownership of said art makes me die a little inside.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I hate the music industry and all it represents, however, I wonder if they did acquire the proper licences for that music. Also, $8 million dollars? Seems somewhat lowballing.

Remember Jammie Thomas? She downloaded 22 songs and got charged for 1.5 mil, and she wasn't even distributing those songs for profit...

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Lunar Templar said:
o.0 they still make music games? really? thought they stopped doing that .......
Should try Sequence, mix of rhythm game with RPG. (It basically the Puzzle Quest of Rhythm game =p)

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Trying to figure out this mess is giving me a headache. If I am reading this right, 4mm Games and Terminal Reality aren't the only parties that should be named as defendants here. If EMI is looking to get compensation for all their supposed damages, there's going to be a need for more names on that docket, including Universal Music Group.
I would love to see two of the music giants take each other on instead of ignoring each other while they shit on ordinary people for lesser acts. That would be something to get the popcorn out for.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Urgh. Yet another prime example why the current copyright and ownership laws need an overhaul. -.-

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
So... EMI makes sure that Def Jam can't possibly acquire the rights for the songs they used, and then... Sue them?

Yet the don't know why every citizen of planet Earth hate EMI?

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Once again, record companies prove they're a cancer to society which exist solely to leech off of the hard work and creativity of hard working musicians.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Hip hop has a sour history of sampling. Nothing against the genre itself, but they do often rip entire compositions then just throw their own voices over it. Happened with quite a number of artists I personally enjoy/respect.

Slayer/Lil Wayne anyone?
Dimmu Borgir/Bushido?
Nox Arcana/Bushido?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
...wat

They own 10% of a song? How does that even work?
"That C is mine, those 2 bars there are yours, but that B-flat is mine!"

Somehow I doubt though that the concerned musicians are going to see a nickel from any awarded claims.