Epic Kills Bulletstorm Sequel

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Epic Kills Bulletstorm Sequel

Early work on a Bulletstorm sequel has been called off in favor of other projects.

Painkiller [http://www.amazon.com/Bulletstorm-Xbox-360/dp/B003H0CC2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334078095&sr=8-1] prior to working on Bulletstorm, is apparently being put to good use elsewhere.

"We thought a lot about a sequel, and had done some initial development on it, but we found a project that we thought was a better fit for People Can Fly," Capps told Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/epic-shelved-bulletstorm-sequel-6370603]. "I'd love to go back [to Bulletstorm]. I think there's more to do with Bulletstorm. Heck, it kind of ended wanting more. I'd love to see another project, but right now we don't have anything to talk about."

Capps said the game was "very critically successful" and it wasn't a complete sales disaster, eventually topping one million copies sold, but it didn't quite meet EA's expectations. He claimed that piracy of the PC version was a "pretty big problem" as well, although he acknowledged that "it was a less than stellar port which may have hurt sales, too."

The PC version was definitely a little bit rough around the edges and gamers looking forward to a new Painkiller may have been let down as well. But in spite of the complaints, I maintain that Bulletstorm was truckloads of stupid, goofy fun, with great voice acting, hilariously juvenile dialog and the most gloriously wicked villain to come along in years. It's a pity the sequel is off, but knowing that Epic was actually thinking about it gives me hope that maybe someday, minds will change.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
1. Make a shitty Xbox game
2. Make an even shittier port of shitty Xbox game
3. Use GFWL, which is like giving your game cancer
4. Blame piracy when your game doesn't sell

Way to go Epic a winner is you!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
At least they admit that they did a shitty port for the PC. Still beats Ubisoft trying to justify making a PC port where they outright declare that keyboard controls would be secondary to a controller.

Apr 28, 2008
The game was a crappy port and used Games For Windows Live.

Do you not see the problem with that, Epic?

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Despite the problems, many many port problems, I liked Bulletstorm.

Shame they killed the sequel. The ending was set right for a sequel. Damn cliffhangers and promises of swearing while kicking someone in the balls. >_>

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"it was a less than stellar port"
How about "A massive pile of garbage that ran like shit"?
Seriously, I can play better looking games with better FPS that are more fun and don't use GFWL. The only good part about Bulletstorm was the drill gun. Everything else was just bland or mediocre.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I enjoyed Bulletstorm for what it was, was lacking in replay value for anything but achievement whores though.

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
Next to EA, GFWL is the next biggest detriment to PC gaming in the industry. I can't think of a single game that uses GFWL on PC that actually playes the way the dev's really intended. But then 99.999999999999999999998% of these games are half-assed phoned in ports anyway.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Well done people. Bulletstorm fails with its fast pace, innovative fancy kill system and comical macho bullshit, meanwhile Gears of War on the other hand, with its bland, slow, trundley gameplay and the same macho bullshit, embarrassingly played straight, gets 3 games.

Sigh. Sometimes I just struggle to understand how popularity works.

And before you quote me to tell me about how you prefer Gears, I know the games industry isn't specifically geared to my taste, doesn't mean I can't whine on an internet forum about it.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
"Huh? Pirates? Those guys definitely affected us greatly!"

"Us not doing our job and releasing a not-fit-for-purpose-port? Well... That may have affected things slightly."

Really?

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"We thought a lot about a sequel, and had done some initial development on it, but we found a project that we thought was a better fit for People Can Fly,"... "I'd love to go back [to Bulletstorm]. I think there's more to do with Bulletstorm. Heck, it kind of ended wanting more. I'd love to see another project, but right now we don't have anything to talk about."
He's joking right? "We thought a lot about a sequel..." and "Heck, it kind of ended wanting more."? Is he purposefully trying to make the worst joke possible? The game ended on a bloody cliffhanger that didn't need to happen. I'm not kidding. It was so much BS.
General Sarrano survives so Grayson wants to keep hunting him down. Oh and Ishi survives being impaled and electrocuted some more and is now evil. Sequel Time!
No Epic, just No.
I bet the real reason why they're not continuing is due to them not having a clue how to. The game was set on a abandoned planet with hostile locals and fauna. Where do you go after that?

But in spite of the complaints, I maintain that Bulletstorm was truckloads of stupid, goofy fun, with great voice acting, hilariously juvenile dialog and the most gloriously wicked villain to come along in years.
It was fun after the first two levels and then the first five minutes after each new gun and it's respective upgrades were collected. Then it got repetitive and had no replay value apart from unlocking achievements or trophies which were a trawl in the first place. The dialog was rarely hilarious and the constant use of stupidily structured curses to try and make Grayson and CO. look badass ended up making them look unintelligent and frankly unengaging. Also, the General wasn't a gloriously wicked villain. At most he was a sub-par accidental villain who hadn't a clue. I mean Ishi made a better villain than Sarrano and who the hell has a company of soldiers that are meant to have the top-of-the-line tech yet still can be murdered en masse by a single pirate (cause lets face it Ishi and the chick did nothing) who also manages to steal an escape pod.
Overall, Bulletstorm, fun game mechanics for a moment but then complete crap the rest of the way.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
As usual, piracy is the problem. Not the fact that it was just a shit port. They need to get over this. Companies like Epic and Crytek whining about PC games because of piracy without looking at what they may have done wrong. Crysis 1 vs Crysis 2 for example. Crysis 1, a PC exclusive sold more copies than Crysis 2 did across all 3 platforms and Crysis 2 was generally regarded as kinda crap by PC gamers, me included.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I can almost guarentee that just about everyone who pirated did because that is infinitely easier than dealing with GFWS. No that S is not a typo, it stands for shit.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
It's not because of piracy, It's because the game is shit and epic won't say it out loud.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I think the truth is that Bulletstorm didn't offer enough for the price that was asked. It was linear, it was repetitive, it was heavily consolized and yet it was priced the same as an established, triple-A franchise title. If I'd paid 60 bucks for it my opinion would probably be rather different, but I picked it up at the 20 dollar mark and it was fantastic.

Put that game out the door at $25 or $30, position it as a discount-priced game and you still won't be the best-selling game of all time but you might just end up with a mid-range hit on your hands and possibly the basis for a new franchise.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Good news out of is People Can Fly are still getting work, that's pretty sweet. Although will Epic learn their lesson for whatever new games they bring to PC? (if they bother, that is)