Bill Gates Says Natal Tech Coming to PCs Too

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Bill Gates Says Natal Tech Coming to PCs Too

Microsoft's motion recognition technology won't just be used for gaming, but will make its way to Windows as well, where it can be used for "collaboration and communication," Bill Gates said.

Project Natal looked the first step toward a future where the sci-fi gesture-based interfaces in Minority Report [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwVBzx0LMNQ] are real, but, if Bill Gates has its way, it'll be more than a single step, it'll be a leap forward. Natal's motion and depth sensing camera technology, Gates says, won't just be used for gaming, but will make its way to Windows as well, where developers can use it for much more than just high-tech versions of Breakout.

"I'd say a cool example of [new Microsoft technology in the works], that you'll see... in a little over a year, is this (depth) camera thing," Gates told CNET [http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10286309-56.html], referring to the same technology Natal uses, which he says won't just be for games but "for media consumption as a whole, and even if they connect it up to Windows PCs for interacting in terms of meetings, and collaboration, and communication."

It's not surprising that Natal's moving beyond uses in gaming, since, as Gates revealed, it has its origins in general Microsoft research and not just the Xbox division. "Both the Xbox guys and the Windows guys latched onto that and now even since they latched onto it the idea of how it can be used in the office is getting much more concrete, and is pretty exciting," Gates said.

Indeed, beyond use in the home, Gates seems to be most excited about how Natal could function in an office environment. "And I think there's incredible value as we use that in the office connected to a Windows PC," he said. "So Microsoft research and the product groups have a lot going on there, because you can use the cost reduction that will take place over the years to say, why shouldn't that be in most office environments?"

Natal-based PowerPoint presentations? That could make those daily meetings a lot more interesting.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Yeah but we can just program our Wii-motes to do this right now for less money so...why?

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
This could be cool, even though it would end up being a gimmick. I think it would be fun to just wave your arm at the screen during business meetings, though.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
Yeah but we can just program our Wii-motes to do this right now for less money so...why?
Because it's funny.

At least their trying to prove that this isn't just a gimmicky periphrial. If support continues for a few years, then we could get some really cool stuff.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Cool, now PC users can share in the mediocrity!
It's a bit different on PC. There are actual security things that Natal can bring to PC. Other than that, I agree.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
QFT
Already been done with proven and established technology.
The gravy train left a year ago mircosoft, but if you wait another year I'm sure you can board the fail train, I heard your long time pal sony will be catching it too.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Sevre90210 said:
Because after Microsoft releases this new functionality, there will be a slew of new programs that attempt to capitalize on it. Right now, the only functionality the Wiimote thing has is as a touchscreen. It's just the next step in development.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
The games for Natal however will remain 360 exclusives right?
Why? Don't you want as many people to have fun experiences with new technology as possible?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
Sevre90210 said:
Because after Microsoft releases this new functionality, there will be a slew of new programs that attempt to capitalize on it. Right now, the only functionality the Wiimote thing has is as a touchscreen. It's just the next step in development.
Technically you can play games, just requires the right steps.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
D4zZ said:
GonzoGamer said:
Why? Don't you want as many people to have fun experiences with new technology as possible?
I do.
MS doesn't.

WrongSprite said:
GonzoGamer said:
Wouldnt that render Natal PC completely useless?
Would you really be surprised?

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Pankeyman said:
ALRIGHT! Now I can play TF2 by waving my arms like a buffoon! I'm glad I can get rid of those worthless keyboards and mice!
Please let this happen. I need to go to a TF2 Natel LAN party.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
WrongSprite said:
GonzoGamer said:
Wouldnt that render Natal PC completely useless?
If they don't keep it exclusive, they are shooting themselves in the foot. Everyone has a PC. By next year more people would have upgraded their PCs, and if (even though it won't be out on PC by then) Natal comes on the PC complete with games, it gives PC owners less incentive to buy a 360.

I'm assuming PC Natal means office and productive uses only.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I thought we already have EyeToy. I know it's for PS2, but it's basically just a camera designed for PS2 and it works on PC as well.

Kinda pointless. I won't buy it... ever.

Ventuquies

May 7, 2009
Finally I can kick my Excel documents!

Next step: Kicking annoying pointless Microsoft-haters in the balls in r e a l - t i m e!

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Oh good, I can control my PC by waving my arms around like a loon, rather than using the rather mundane but useful mouse and keyboard.

Wonderful.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Seems like an interesting idea to me. I'm guessing they'll be some kind of app to use it in place of a mouse.

And what's with all the hate? I know I may get an ironic comment such as "Hate will never go out of fashion" for this but it's going on like hating Microsoft is going out of fashion.