Street Fighter X Tekken Dev Laments Hacked DLC

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Street Fighter X Tekken Dev Laments Hacked DLC

Tomoaki Ayano is "disappointed" that hackers gained access to Street Fighter X Tekken's DLC characters, but he acknowledges their skill.

So, in case you haven't heard the cries of incomprehensible rage, Street Fighter X Tekken [http://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter-X-Tekken-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0K6Q8] features 12 "DLC" characters, all of which are on the disk. Shortly after the game launched, unscrupulous hacker-types realized they could, via unsavory hacker-magic, unlock the extra characters. Instructions were posted shortly thereafter, meaning anyone running modified PS3 firmware could stumble around online playing as characters legitimate players couldn't access. Hilarity ensued. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116155-Capcom-Responds-to-Street-Fighter-X-Tekken-DLC-Complaints]

"Personally, I was really surprised when I heard the news that the characters had been hacked, basically," producer, Tomoaki Ayano, told GameSpot. [http://www.gamespot.com/news/street-fighter-x-tekken-dev-disappointed-in-dlc-being-hacked-6372028] "So I was pretty disappointed by that. I was really surprised at how skillful the hackers were, basically. But I was really kind of disappointed that it created this kind of environment where a bunch of players were playing the characters but a bunch were unable to play with them."

I too am disappointed that a group of people created an environment in which some players have access to certain characters while other, less fortunate, players do not. Do you see how neutral that sentence is? It's very neutral. Like Witcher neutral. That's me. Neutral.

The DLC, which contains 12 characters, equally split between the Street Fighter and Tekken franchises, isn't available yet,but it's slated to cost $20 (1600 MSP). The Vita version of the game, which I won't be picking up because the idea of playing a fighting game with a Sony d-pad makes my left thumb retreat into my forearm in fear, comes with all the DLC characters and a few exclusive ones to boot.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
This makes me heavily disappointed in gamers in general. I get there's some sort of indignity to locked on-disk DLC, but this is just sad...

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Know what I was disappointed with? Including DLC on disk that was there for no better reason than to charge players later.

Wanna know who created that environment? Look in the mirror.

Half surprised he didn't blame this on the pirates or used game sales...
Yes, let's not find any fault with those who actually did this side-stepping.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
"Personally, I was really surprised when I heard the news that the characters had been hacked, basically," producer, Tomoaki Ayano, told GameSpot. "So I was pretty disappointed by that. I was really surprised at how skillful the hackers were, basically."
Surprised? Really?
After the PSN debacle and the Geohot incident, this guy is SURPRISED that his on disc DLC (which was universally hated) was hacked?

There is a limit to how naive you can be, you know!

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Grey Carter said:
. The Vita version of the game, which I won't be picking up because the idea of playing a fighting game with a Sony d-pad makes my left thumb retreat into my forearm in fear, comes with all the DLC characters and a few exclusive ones to boot.
Really? I love the PS3 d-pad for fighting games.
OP: It is pretty hard for me to drum up sympathy for you. You withheld them solely to make even more than the already overpriced retail that is 60$.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Grey Carter said:
. The Vita version of the game, which I won't be picking up because the idea of playing a fighting game with a Sony d-pad makes my left thumb retreat into my forearm in fear, comes with all the DLC characters and a few exclusive ones to boot.
OP: It is pretty hard for me to drum up sympathy for you. You withheld them solely to make even more than the already overpriced retail that is 60$.
It's better than the 360 D-pad certainly, but it gets physically painful to roll a QCF after an hour or so. I had a literal bleeding thumb after Blazblue was released. Then I bought an arcade stick.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
In this case, they hacked the game, and by the way, we know that Capcom intentionally lied and misled its customers, which I personally think is worse.
Only in the gaming industry would you have consumers with this sort of opinion...

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Grey Carter said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Grey Carter said:
It's better than the 360 D-pad certainly, but it gets physically painful to roll a QCF after an hour or so. I had a literal bleeding thumb after Blazblue was released. Then I bought an arcade stick.
It does wear on you, but I find it more accurate than the analog stick and I'm not dropping 150$ on a fight stick. I never play fighting games for more than a hour at one time, anyway. I didn't know you were a fan of fighters.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Know what I was disappointed with? Including DLC on disk that was there for no better reason than to charge players later.

Wanna know who created that environment? Look in the mirror.
I swear, I had nothing to do with it!

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
You know who the hackers hurt when they hacked the game?

Pardon if I feel less sympathy for the multi million dollar corporation.
and pardon me when I ask this rhetorical question: "Why do you think we have increasingly invasive DRM these days?"

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
LiquidSolstice said:
You know who the hackers hurt when they hacked the game?

Pardon if I feel less sympathy for the multi million dollar corporation.
and pardon me when I ask this rhetorical question: "Why do you think we have increasingly invasive DRM these days?"

The "rampant piracy" Game companies crow on about is a manufactured issue to explain piss poor game sales of a game that sucked and is now always used to try and justify thier retarded methods of money grubbing. And as for on Disk DLC they expect people to just buy it. If it were the old west theyd be run out of town like a bloody snake oil salesman.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Good thing this game wasnt ( badly ) ported to the PC, it would of been hacked... oh wait.

I dont aprove of stealing but in a way I am glad this happened, it will most certainly make publishers more wary of putting fully developed DLC on the disk for later sales, but I fear it will only take a small download to unlock ( say the models, or some critical part of the DLC that is still pretty small... like taking a gear out of a car engine, small part but the engine wont do nowt without it ).

... and whats that about MODIFIED PS3's ? Consoles are pirate proof aint they ? Pirates only exist on the filthy thieving PC market right ?
Get it right please... Piracy ruins the PC game market , Used Games ruin the console market and apprently Steam sales ruin the digital games market.
Funny how exloiting, recycling IPs over and over again, overpricing , nickle and diming of customers doesnt have no effect on the market hmmm ?

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
Ah, DRM is of course for "money-grubbing", because losing sales to people who don't buy DRM-laced games and the amount of time and money it takes to license and incorporate these DRM methods of course earns them money. Somehow.

Look, I'm not agreeing with DRM. I don't have an issue with it personally, and I can see why some do, but at the end of the day, I don't think it's really unfair to point out that the more people try and break into a system, the harder teh creators of said system will try to make it for anyone to get in, and maybe it's a retarded idea, maybe it's not, but mark my words, the pirates who we all shrug off as being unaffected by these issues are the ones that are going to make our lives living hell in the future because of the knee-jerk response to these sort of stories.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Grey Carter said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Grey Carter said:
It does wear on you, but I find it more accurate than the analog stick and I'm not dropping 150$ on a fight stick. I never play fighting games for more than a hour at one time, anyway. I didn't know you were a fan of fighters.
You can pick up the regular edition stick for like $50 second hand, it's a really solid stick and it doesn't feel much worse than the TE (aside from the shape, I like the bigger base of the TE) Totally worth the money, though not if you don't play often.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
So he was disappointed people were accessing content that was already available on the disc? Gee, that's just fucking insane. . . . that it was locked away on the disc in the first place. Capcom (and a large number of other game companies) is obviously being ran by a bunch of window licking, helmet wearing, paste eating fucktards that couldn't be paid to give a shit about anything but nickel and diming their customers to death with bullshit like this.

The sooner the video game industry is purged of people like this dip shit, either through firings or cancer or violent crime (I'd prefer firings but at this point but you know what they say about beggars and choosers) the better off gamers will be.

Also, can we please stop calling locked away content DLC? Call a spade a spade and refer to it as what it is, LOCKED AWAY ON DISC CONTENT.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
LiquidSolstice said:
Ah, DRM is of course for "money-grubbing", because losing sales to people who don't buy DRM-laced games and the amount of time and money it takes to license and incorporate these DRM methods of course earns them money. Somehow.

Look, I'm not agreeing with DRM. I don't have an issue with it personally, and I can see why some do, but at the end of the day, I don't think it's really unfair to point out that the more people try and break into a system, the harder teh creators of said system will try to make it for anyone to get in, and maybe it's a retarded idea, maybe it's not, but mark my words, the pirates who we all shrug off as being unaffected by these issues are the ones that are going to make our lives living hell in the future because of the knee-jerk response to these sort of stories.
Simple economics tells us that the companies wouldn't put the DRM in unless they expect to make more money (by some method) than it cost them to put it on the software.

My issues with DRM, are related to the company's assumption that I am a thief. I pay my bills, I buy my games and music, but I am punished by the companies for doing so. It is a little thing, but for the same reason I WILL NOT buy gas from a pre-pay gas station, I avoid games with DRM. I am not a thief and will not be treated as one.

Also, let us not forget that DRM has often been harmful to your system (here's looking at Sony Music). Also, most DRM (especially always on internet stuff) is used to monitor your playing habits. Whaddya want to bet companies will try to commodify that data somehow? Then we can talk about the system lag caused by these DRM systems.

I know that companies want to derive maximum profit from their games, but you get more flies with honey, than vinegar. Perhaps there are better ways to get profit from the game (and its owner) than by putting content important to the game (which was clearly cut from the game), on the disc, and then trying to sell the previously included content to the user who has already paid for the game? The problem is greed, people don't like to feel nickel and dimed. Companies should probably look at things in the King Gilette method if they are doing DLC. "Givem the Razors....but sell them the blades".

I know the ways in which developers are treating their customers is pushing me in the direction of no longer gaming. I understand that I am a customer, but I am not a pirate. Given the direction the rumours are taking with the new consoles. I will be out after this current generation anyway. I love libraries and reading - and there is no DRM on a paper book.