Conan O'Brien Guards Crates in Halo 4

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Conan O'Brien Guards Crates in Halo 4

343 Industries turns a talk show host into a space marine supplier.

Whether he likes it or not, Conan O'Brien keeps getting dragged back into some of the most underappreciated roles in gaming. Last time around, the former Simpsons writer and current host of Conan Andy Richter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115884-Conan-OBrien-Becomes-a-Gnome-in-Kingdoms-of-Amalur] took on the roles of two passive-aggressive, cowardly, discontented loading bay guards with fairly hilarious results.

O'Brien, who admits that Pong was probably the last game he played with any skill, begins the segment [http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-halo-remote] by interviewing Frank O'Connor and Kiki Wolfkill, the franchise manager and executive producer, respectively, for Halo 4. After poking some fun by suggesting that Wolfkill is a Viking warrior and O'Connor is her Celtic bartender, the Halo staffers get back at O'Brien by offering him a spot in the upcoming game's voice cast. Rather than a heroic space marine, O'Brien voices, as he describes it, "a clerk in a loading dock." While Master Chief is out saving the galaxy, O'Brien and Richter must guard vital crates containing invaluable resources like "office supplies" and "space peanuts."

"If [someone] did kill us," says O'Brien, slipping into his guard role, "I'm sure they'd show our bodies only the ultimate respect."

"Yeah," Richter agrees. "No victory crouching on our faces!"

The sketch contains quite a few memorable bits, including an irreverent sneak peek at some Halo 4 footage (spoiler: it's not really Halo 4 footage, but it may be even more entertaining), some shots of O'Brien's character in action, and a hopeful Wolfkill inquiring after Richter's hotness ("Big Hollywood type," O'Brien replies reassuringly). While O'Brien and Richter's voices most likely won't see the final version of the game, it seems fair to ask, "why not?" Halo has never taken itself super-seriously, and their performance is considerably funnier than a few Grunts running around in circles, screaming like Jawas. O'Brien has shown some interest in making smart, respectful gaming comedy; it seems like high time for the industry to repay the favor.

Source: Team Coco [http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-halo-remote]

Javarino

Mar 15, 2010
Interesting, but is this news or something ripped from that comedy show someone watched? I honestly can't figure it out.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I'd really like to see this in the actual game. It would be hilarious xD.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Nouw said:
I'd really like to see this in the actual game. It would be hilarious xD.
Indeed. Hell, they threw in Gus and Geoff from Rooster Teeth in Halo 3, but I guess that doesn't really count since they do Halo stuff.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Haha, really enjoyed that. Never heard of Conan O'Brien before, but he's genuinely good. Nice dry delivery and understated confidence. Hard to pull off and it's what keeps these old routines funny. Not a Halo fan but I agree it would be a great Easter egg to have his dock worker voice make an appearance in-game somewhere.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
It would be nice if the actual game took itself this level of serious. The plot is already ludicrous, why should I be the only one in on the joke?

I'll still get Halo 4 regardless, because that's what you do when you're in college, but it would be nice for the campaign to actually draw me in.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
If I didn't have a reason to buy Halo 4 when it's released THIS would certainly be the one I needed.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I'm guessing it's either going to be an easter egg, or you will only hear the conversation if you have the IWHBYD skull activated.

Richard Welsh

Apr 19, 2012
I'd say chances are good for Conan and Andy's voices ending up in the final product. There are a couple of behind-the-scenes videos that show more footage of their vocal improvisation in the recording booth, and at the end of the session, Frank O' Connor says that there are about 6 vignettes that they think they'll be able to use. It's pretty awesome stuff for fans of Conan and Halo.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I do like Conan O'Brien. Hell, I love the guy. He's the best talkshow host on television.

But every time he talks about gaming, I get the impression that he's never picked up a controller in his goddamn life.