Dragon Age: Origins Collector's Edition Unveiled - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dragon Age: Origins Collector's Edition Unveiled - UPDATED

Mass Effect 2 [http://www.gamestop.com] unlockable for all three versions. (Yes, there's a hint there.)

The special Collector's Edition of the upcoming BioWare [http://www.bioware.com] RPG Dragon Age: Origins will come in a tin case and include a bonus DVD with a soundtrack, documentary featurette, strategy tips and other content, a cloth map, three exclusive pieces of in-game content, a bonus quest called "The Stone Prisoner" and an unlockable in-game item for use in BioWare's other hotly anticipated release, Mass Effect 2.

It's interesting to note that the Mass Effect 2 unlockable content is included with all three versions of the Dragon Age: Origins Collector's Edition: PC, PlayStation 3 [http://www.xbox.com]. Why would the PlayStation 3 version of the game include Mass Effect 2 content? Unless... Is it possible... Can it be?

Nah, it can't be.

The PC version of Dragon Age: Origins is currently listed at $64.99, while the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 releases will go for $74.99. All three are scheduled to ship on October 20.

via: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/07/15/contents-of-dragon-age-origins-collectors-edition-exposed/]

UPDATE: GameStop has removed the Mass Effect 2 reference from the description of the PlayStation 3 Collector's Edition [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75493]. Sorry folks, but it looks like this was just a copy/paste oversight after all.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Oh, god yes. I am so getting this.

This is going to be an epic game, and the CE content sounds solid.

This is also really making me itch to know what the ME2 bonus is.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Hmm, it appears Mass Effect 2 may well be going to PS3 - great news; everyone should get to play this fantastic game - or it could just be a mistake by the unreliable Gamestop; we'll see. As for the collector edition; it actually sounds pretty good and I may be tempted to part with my cash.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I'm looking forward to both this and ME2, so methinks I'll be picking this bad boy up. Plus, I love cloth maps of fantasy worlds lol.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
I can't see how Mass effect 2 could be ported to the PS3 without being a sub-par version. Nothing against the Playstation, of course, but seeing as how they didn't get the first game...

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Hopefully they will put the first game there too, maybe with the updated engine? One could only hope.

What they should do is include it with the Mass Effect 2 Collectors for free...

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Any chance of some info for those of us not based in the US?

I'm in the UK, and all this collectors edition stuff and bonus content may not be available to me... finding it quite hard to find info on it.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Lord_Jaroh said:
Hopefully they will put the first game there too, maybe with the updated engine? One could only hope.

What they should do is include it with the Mass Effect 2 Collectors for free...
This is EA we're talking about...

Besides which, don't Bioware have enough on their plates? Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age are MASSIVE games. I'd rather they focused on them than updating an older game they hope to surpass.

HeartAttackBob

Sep 11, 2008
For some reason, marketing shenanigans like this fill me with contempt.
"You want to sucker an extra X dollars out of me so I can have a tin case and some sparkly special weapon in a single player game?"

I suppose it's only natural, first they made levels in games, now we have levels of gamers:
Standard for the poor plebeians,
Silver for the aspiring junkies,
and Gold Plated Deluxe Collectors Edition, reserved exclusively for card carrying members of the Elite Gaming Master Race, who line up for the privilege of having their wallet sodomized.

A final thought:
"Aarrrrr!"

Apr 28, 2008
I have a question:

I'm buying Dragon Age on the PC, and Mass Effect 2 on the 360, if I got the special edition of Dragon Age on the PC, would I still be able to use the Mass Effect 2 content on the 360?

Because I don't like buying 2 big games on one console, mainly because my brother and I share a 360 and Pc. So if he was playing Mass Effect 2 on 360 I would play Dragon Age on my PC, and vice versa.

So would I be able to get the PC special edition of Dragon Age and still use the Mass Effect 2 content on the 360?

Although knowing EA I won't be able to, but it never hurts to ask.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
I like what's coming in this CE. Particularly the soundtrack, which I'm sure is going to be good. This is Bioware we're talking about. They've never had bad music in a game.

Plus some exclusive items for Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2? Heck yeah!

This'll be, what, £5 more than the standard game? The soundtrack's probably worth more than that anyway. I'll definetly be getting this. I may actually use everything that comes with it.

ww2jacob

Mar 21, 2008
Irridium said:
I have a question:

I'm buying Dragon Age on the PC, and Mass Effect 2 on the 360, if I got the special edition of Dragon Age on the PC, would I still be able to use the Mass Effect 2 content on the 360?

Because I don't like buying 2 big games on one console, mainly because my brother and I share a 360 and Pc. So if he was playing Mass Effect 2 on 360 I would play Dragon Age on my PC, and vice versa.

So would I be able to get the PC special edition of Dragon Age and still use the Mass Effect 2 content on the 360?

Although knowing EA I won't be able to, but it never hurts to ask.
I'm curious about this too since I'm probably going to do the same thing.

It would make sense that the ME2 bonus would come in the package as some kind of code, right? So therefore it wouldn't matter what platform you got DA:O on, so it would come in the PS3 version as well and work on either the 360 or PC version of ME2.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Hmm, curious indeed. I'm keen to find out what this ME2 content will be. That, and a [cloth] map always sounds nice. I do like my maps of fantasy realms...:)

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
HeartAttackBob said:
For some reason, marketing shenanigans like this fill me with contempt.
"You want to sucker an extra X dollars out of me so I can have a tin case and some sparkly special weapon in a single player game?"

I suppose it's only natural, first they made levels in games, now we have levels of gamers:
Standard for the poor plebeians,
Silver for the aspiring junkies,
and Gold Plated Deluxe Collectors Edition, reserved exclusively for card carrying members of the Elite Gaming Master Race, who line up for the privilege of having their wallet sodomized.

A final thought:
"Aarrrrr!"
Really?
This could sound like a decent observation, if you didn't come off as one of those poor plebeians who is a bit upset that they can't 'step up' from the 'standard' version. Perhaps you realize that businesses are interested in making money. Things like this make money, because people want it. If people didn't want it, it wouldn't make money.

And your not-so-subtle final thought? It's not a solution. It's a totally different problem.
And a selfish one at that.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Man, I'm kinda torn - I'm lazy, and I've already pre-ordered the regular game. And looking back at the other collector's editions I've bought in the past, I have to ask myself if they were worth it. But the extra content, for Dragon Age and ME2, and extra quest are awfully tempting...

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
D_987 said:
Hmm, it appears Mass Effect 2 may well be going to PS3 - great news; everyone should get to play this fantastic game - or it could just be a mistake by the unreliable Gamestop; we'll see. As for the collector edition; it actually sounds pretty good and I may be tempted to part with my cash.
But I guess this means that the "xbox franchise" that was coming to the Ps3 is Mass Effect. Mystery over.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Damn I was hoping for a figurine. I am just happy there will be a CE for Dragon Age. I don't normally buy them except for those special games which Dragon Age is one of.