New Super Mario Bros. 2 Ditching Wii for 3DS

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

Nintendo announced new games for the 3DS and the Wii starring an Italian plumber and a hungry pink ball.

Peruse the shelves wherever games are sold, and you'll see more than a few games featuring Mario in the Nintendo section marketed as "family fare". A red-shirted plumber with a mustache is not as creepy as it sounds, I suppose. Well, you can expect another title starring Mario, his brother Luigi, and a couple of toadstools this August 2012, because Nintendo announced New Super Mario Bros. 2 is on its way for the handheld 3DS system. Also in the works is a compilation of Kirby games for the Wii to celebrate the corpulent star's 20th birthday.

There's not much details on New Super Mario Bros. 2 except that it follows on the heels of the recent side-scrolling platforming reboot on the Wii. Nintendo promises a game that's easy to pick up and play on the handheld 3DS, but I'm sure there are customers who would rather play with Mario on a home console. I bet the move to the handheld had more to with trying to sell more 3DSs than anything else.

The Kirby compilation doesn't have a name or a list of its component games, but expect a walk down the pink puff ball's most entertaining titles like Kirby's Dream Land and Kirby's Epic Yarn.

"A new Mario game and a big Kirby celebration will help make 2012 an especially great year for Nintendo fans," said Scott Moffitt from Nintendo of America. "Whether they're playing at home on Wii or using Nintendo 3DS to have fun on the go, players can look forward to experiencing some of our biggest franchises in exciting ways."

Also, a pony.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Eh, the Wii is pretty much dead though...right?

I mean...the WiiU is coming.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Also, a pony.
What? I'm not sure I get the context.

This reminds me of Graham on Checkpoint when he was talking about the Mario collection. Now I want to hear him say something along the lines of "It's just the Kirby Superstar. And not even the one with Masked DeeDeeDee, Just Kirby Superstar."

Kirby Is my Favorite (Also, a pony)

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF--

Well, why can't we have both? You know, like the first New Super Mario Bros?

Even though the Wii is giving its last kicks, it would be nice to have another Wii title worth getting. The Wii can't afford to lose another one! If they do, they'll have like...4 good titles so far!

CAPTCHA: Jump off. Yeah, you got that right!

saregos

the undying
Jul 7, 2009
Greg Tito said:
There's not much details on New Super Mario Bros. 2 except that it follows on the heels of the recent side-scrolling platforming reboot on the Wii.
Sorry, but I don't think this is accurate. The game New Super Mario Bros. was a game for the original DS released in 2006. The Wii version, New Super Mario Bros. Wii was released in 2009 but isn't the reboot you seem to think it is.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Greg Tito said:

Also, a pony.

You mean a CHANGELING Pony.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/112/9/1/the_perfect_day_by_suirobo-d4x7vko.png

Really though, I think that them putting the next Super Mario on the 3DS makes a lot of sense. Why put anything else out that would make people rush out in any large number to purchase a Wii when you have the WiiU just around the corner?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
It was a DS game long before a Wii game. The only reason it was released for the Wii was the success of the DS game.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Mention ponies in an unrelated article and watch everyone disapointed for no pony.

I wanted one too, I'll call it Mr. Marshmallow. Then put a horn on it and say its the last unicorn. THEN BLOW ITS BRAINS OUT!!!

Yes I am evil.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
saregos said:
Greg Tito said:
There's not much details on New Super Mario Bros. 2 except that it follows on the heels of the recent side-scrolling platforming reboot on the Wii.
Sorry, but I don't think this is accurate. The game New Super Mario Bros. was a game for the original DS released in 2006. The Wii version, New Super Mario Bros. Wii was released in 2009 but isn't the reboot you seem to think it is.
This is true. I'd actually forgotten about this, myself.

New Super Mario Bros. was a handheld game. So, it would make sense for the sequel to be handheld, as well. There was a similar game, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, that came out as well, but that was a different game.

Now, I wonder if this game might have any context with The Lost Levels? Doubtful, but it's something the gaming industry needs desperately. We need an insanely hard platformer!

Also, a battle of titans, with an Italian plumber fighting side-by-side with a pony.
http://primogenitor34.deviantart.com/art/Giga-Bowser-Discord-vs-Mario-Twilight-Sparkle-283169642

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
That's cool. The number of games the 3DS needs (12) before I get one rises by one, then. I always like 2D platformers (and JRPGs) far better on handhelds for some odd reason.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Lugbzurg said:
Now, I wonder if this game might have any context with The Lost Levels? Doubtful, but it's something the gaming industry needs desperately. We need an insanely hard platformer!
It's only unfortunate that you can't bold it enough so that the industry understands it>
I remember the joy of winning a game on "Nintendo Hard" difficulty.
Now... meh, every single game I've played.

I loved the New SMB Wii, jet it was to easy. I was thinking about softmoding my Wii so that I could download the edited versions which are Nintendo hard, tho I decided no to risk bricking my console. (to random people who will flame me to death, I have bought the game, I have bought the Wii, what I want to download is a user remake of the game I have, it's not piracy)

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
I feel like the Kirby 20th Anniversary disc will be nothing special. It'll likely be a compilation of games already available on Nintendo's VC, except more expensive and will probably come with some art, some interviews from Sakurai and other HAL team members, and perhaps a music selection. They might be generous and throw in Return to Dreamland, but I'm sort of skeptical that they'll include both the Wii games, or even one of them.

I'm sure some people are also excited about New Super Mario Bros 2. The DS version went over well and spawned one of the most friendship-destroying (but insanely fun) games known to mankind on the Wii. BUT... Nintendo...

WHAT ABOUT FIRE EMBLEM: AWAKENING HUH?! HOW ABOUT THAT?

They skipped over New Mystery of the Emblem. I can live with that. But I seriously want the Fire Emblem 3DS bundle. A cobalt blue DS with dragons and swords on it? Plus an epic FE game that combines all the best features of all its predecessors? YES PLEASE.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
The sequel to it should rightfully be on a (3)DS console anyway, since the first true 'New Super Mario Bros.' came out on the DS. The Wii iteration was subtitled with 'Wii' at the end of it, and the Wii U is gaining a 'New Super Mario Bros. Mii' at launch so it's no great loss to anyone wanting to play the game on a home console.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
that being said i wouldn't be too opposed to having a divorce mode option on the 3ds so that we can troll each other online

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Greg Tito said:
saregos said:
I'm afraid he's right, Tito. There was a NSMB on the DS three years or so before the Wii title came out. It's not robbing the Wii of anything, as the two are entirely different affairs. So much for the exciting article, eh?

And $10 says it's Kirby All-Stars, like they packaged Mario All-Stars again, without even a graphical update.

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
Lugbzurg said:
Have you played Rayman: Origins? That game got ridiculously hard halfway through.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
saregos said:
Greg Tito said:
Indeed; I also think it's hilarious how Greg thinks its move to the 3DS is solely to move systems...when in fact the 3DS has consistently been the #1 selling system worldwide for MONTHS now. NSMB2 is indeed going to help the 3DS sell, but it's not like it needed much help in the first place what with 3D Land and Mario Kart 7.

Anyway, can't wait to get a hold of this in August. Tanuki suits are always welcome and I really want to see what the level design will be like. Also looking forward to the Kirby compilation

saregos

the undying
Jul 7, 2009
Aiddon said:
saregos said:
Greg Tito said:
Indeed; I also think it's hilarious how Greg thinks its move to the 3DS is solely to move systems...when in fact the 3DS has consistently been the #1 selling system worldwide for MONTHS now. NSMB2 is indeed going to help the 3DS sell, but it's not like it needed much help in the first place what with 3D Land and Mario Kart 7.

Anyway, can't wait to get a hold of this in August. Tanuki suits are always welcome and I really want to see what the level design will be like. Also looking forward to the Kirby compilation
Unfortunately, Greg has a bit of a history of twisting facts in order to support conclusions. Which is a large part of the reason I no longer have a publisher club membership...

Somehow, I doubt this article will ever see a correction or retraction. Which sorta flies in the face of the whole concept of Professional Journalism.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Greg Tito said:
I bet the move to the handheld had more to with trying to sell more 3DSs than anything else.
I thought I'd made it abundantly clear to Nintendo that I'll buy a 3DS when and only when a proper Pokemon RPG is released on it? Silly Nintendo.

Though seriously a new new super mario bros (that sounds even more stupid on paper than in my head...) can't be a bad thing, the last two were very enjoyable, though the repetition of themes sucked.

DustyDrB said:
That's cool. The number of games the 3DS needs (12) before I get one rises by one, then. I always like 2D platformers (and JRPGs) far better on handhelds for some odd reason.
My rule is similar but a major pokemon rpg and future promise will sell me on it, since a new gen poemon game is yet to fail to rob me of hundreds of hours of productivity.

There are 3 I want so far: Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D Land, and Kid Icarus: Uprising.

10 or new pokemon and I will reconsider.