Why Infinity Ward's Chief Call of Duty Strategist Quit

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Why Infinity Ward's Chief Call of Duty Strategist Quit

The indie bug infected another AAA developer.

For a long time, Robert Bowling - a.k.a. fourzerotwo [https://twitter.com/#!/fourzerotwo] - was the public face of Call of Duty. As a higher-up at Infinity Ward, he helped shape Modern Warfare and disseminated information to the public via interviews and social media. He also got a lot of shit from fans. Then about a month ago he called it quits, went cold turkey from everything CoD. Bowling announced a new venture this week that he funded himself - a startup called Robotoki seeking to keep independent from the publisher's money-yokes. Based on Bowling's time with Activision, he knew exactly what he wanted to avoid.

"When I made the decision to resign from my previous position at Activision, I only knew one thing for certain," Bowling said. "I knew what I didn't want to do, but that eventually led to clarity on what I did want to do.

"When I left, it was solely to follow that passion to create new opportunities and experiences."

For a new company like Robotoki to stay independent, it was important for Bowling to keep influential money people away. "I decided to self-fund the formation of the studio, the initial team, and our new IP, and to set a guiding principle for the studio moving forward to work exclusively with partners that supported that independent model and mentality by allowing the creative vision holders behind a project to retain control of it."

Robotoki's first project isn't yet public, but Bowling divulged he aims to deliver a multi-platform experience to bridge the gap between mobile, console and PC gaming. "I believe we have moved away from telling our players how to enjoy our game, and our job is merely to provide them a platform to dictate their own experience," he said. "Therefore a player on mobile should be able to engage in the universe, continue their progression, grow their persistent character, and experience the lore of the universe in a unique way from the other less tactile experiences on PC or consoles and vice versa."

I don't know what genre of game Bowling has in mind - my bet's on shooter, given his experience, even if his words hint at an MMORPG - but those ideas sound pretty intriguing. Here's to your future success at Robotoki, Robert.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/169104/Why_Robert_Bowling_left_Call_of_Duty_behind.php]

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
So, are we gonna see him on Kickstarter/RocketHub, or is this already established, and we just need to wait and see what comes of it? Either way, best of luck.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I like the sound of this game... No matter what I'm on... I can play and progress my experience...

But how simple does it have to be to bridge phones and PCs? What's the draw back?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
MetalGenocide said:
I think more devs need to follow this example.

Hope it works out well.
Flooding the indie market would decidedly be a bad thing for everyone involved.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Does anyone else just laugh when they see his picture?

OT: I hope he does well and doesn't make 8 sequals to the indie game...

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Bowling divulged he aims to deliver a multi-platform experience to bridge the gap between mobile, console and PC gaming. "I believe we have moved away from telling our players how to enjoy our game, and our job is merely to provide them a platform to dictate their own experience," he said. "Therefore a player on mobile should be able to engage in the universe, continue their progression, grow their persistent character, and experience the lore of the universe in a unique way from the other less tactile experiences on PC or consoles and vice versa.
Wasn't this exactly the thing EA wanted to do [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.371451-EA-wants-to-turn-all-their-brands-into-Online-Universes#14358126] that everyone was horrified about?

Anyway, he's certainly not the first to leave Activision because of corporate meddling, and definitely not the last. Oh well, diversity is a good thing, lets wait and see what fruits Robotiki bring to appease the wrath of the gaming gods.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I just hope his projects don't get judged too harshly, given his previous role at Activision.

And I would hope that even though they will be 'Indie' developers, they don't aim low.

Good luck Robert!

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
To be honest I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did with Activision considering the shit he took for being Call of Duty's public persona, and especially after Infinity Ward was basically butchered by Activision.

Wish him luck.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Greg Tito said:
a startup called Robotoki seeking to keep independent from the publisher's money-yokes.
He fronted 3 of the best selling games ever, you'd think this wouldn't be that big of an issue.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Jeez, either he took a lot of flak from the community, being CoD's public persona and spokesperson for Activision, or Activision drives its employees as bad as EA. It can't have been easy to walk away from guaranteed money that you could probably swim in.

Still, nice to see a guy pursue his dream of making art through video games. Always great to be happy loving what you're doing, even if it isn't exactly financially stable. All things considered, I wish him the best of luck in his endeavors.

... Now, can Activision and EA get their shit together and stop treating their employees like crap before the veterans of all of their developer's dev teams all jump ship? I may not like their methods or their business model, but I DO like their games, and I would like it for them to not suck because every person with an iota of talent left due to 'differing views'.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
CrossLOPER said:
"Indie developer".... "kickstarter"....

Can we have more substance and less buzzwords?
why not Zoidberg? (V)(;..;)(V)

I hope now he follows his dreams, now he has the money

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Neat. Best of luck to his new studio and IP. It definitely sounds interesting.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Kargathia said:
MetalGenocide said:
I think more devs need to follow this example.

Hope it works out well.
Flooding the indie market would decidedly be a bad thing for everyone involved.
"indie market" is what gaming was in 90's; more independent developers, more competition, more focus on genre subject matter, more respect for customers, more different ideas tried, more reasons for developer loyalty, and LESS focus on greedy nickle and diming while the people who MAKE the games had final say in the game's development instead of a guy in a suit concerned about quarterly earnings reports and shareholders.

More developers is always a good thing, and more rejecting the big publishers practices of buying the rights to all of a developer's IP when bought out, used to make sequels until the money dries up, then closing them down is even better.

Indie games don't solely mean small mobile or flash games