Adam Sessler Leaves G4

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Adam Sessler Leaves G4

Longtime X-Play host departs after almost 14 years.

G4, ostensibly the world's most popular gaming TV network, tends to polarize gamer opinions. According to the network, its online presence is the "most trusted videogame website" [http://www.g4tv.com/] (complete with some data to back it up), but bring it up on a forum, and responses will range from entertaining to exploitative to embarrassing. Regardless of personal feelings about G4, however, gamers could always count on one thing: the quick wit and strong opinions of X-Play cohost Adam Sessler. Now, after almost 14 years on the job, Sessler is ready to move on, possibly as a result of a contract dispute and some negative feelings towards his former employer.

Details from both Sessler and G4 are fairly scarce, with both sides simply confirming that Sessler is no longer affiliated with the TV station he helped pioneer. His last episode of X-Play aired today, and now, according to his representative, "Adam intends to stay in front of the camera and continue as a key voice within the games industry." In addition to a few Hollywood projects, where he will assist both on- and off-camera, "He also sings and is available for weddings and bar mitzvahs." While Kotaku reports that Sessler likely left due to issues with his G4 contract, no further information is available on his reasons for departure at this time.

Sessler has been involved with G4 in one capacity or another since 1998, back when X-Play was a GameSpot feature called GameSpot TV. If you've been following games journalism for any substantial period of time, you'll probably be familiar with Sessler's dry, often sardonic sense of humor, his excellent vocabulary, and his knack for talking about games in the same sentence and with as much gravitas as Italian Renaissance art or global economics. His sometimes harsh appraisals of the gaming public rub some fans the wrong way, but he is quick to back up his opinion with facts and encourage respectful dialogues among fans with differing opinions.

Love him or hate him, Sessler is one of the most well-known and experienced games journalists in the business right now, and we almost certainly haven't seen the last of him. Wherever he goes next, we wish him the best and sincerely hope that G4 fans have stopped giving him a hard time about Killzone 2 [http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/692992/sesslers-soapbox-killzone-mailbag/]. If you want evidence that Sessler is out to improve both games journalism and gaming forums, look no further than that video.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5905119/adam-sessler-out-at-g4]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Marshall Honorof said:
Adam Sessler Leaves G4

Longtime X-Play host departs after almost 14 years.

G4, ostensibly the world's most popular gaming TV network, tends to polarize gamer opinions. According to the network, its online presence is the "most trusted videogame website" [http://www.g4tv.com/] (complete with some data to back it up), but bring it up on a forum, and responses will range from entertaining to exploitative to embarrassing. Regardless of personal feelings about G4, however, gamers could always count on one thing: the quick wit and strong opinions of X-Play cohost Adam Sessler. Now, after almost 14 years on the job, Sessler is ready to move on, possibly as a result of a contract dispute and some negative feelings towards his former employer.

Details from both Sessler and G4 are fairly scarce, with both sides simply confirming that Sessler is no longer affiliated with the TV station he helped pioneer. His last episode of X-Play aired today, and now, according to his representative, "Adam intends to stay in front of the camera and continue as a key voice within the games industry." In addition to a few Hollywood projects, where he will assist both on- and off-camera, "He also sings and is available for weddings and bar mitzvahs." While Kotaku reports that Sessler likely left due to issues with his G4 contract, no further information is available on his reasons for departure at this time.

Sessler has been involved with G4 in one capacity or another since 1998, back when X-Play was a GameSpot feature called GameSpot TV. If you've been following games journalism for any substantial period of time, you'll probably be familiar with Sessler's dry, often sardonic sense of humor, his excellent vocabulary, and his knack for talking about games in the same sentence and with as much gravitas as Italian Renaissance art or global economics. His sometimes harsh appraisals of the gaming public rub some fans the wrong way, but he is quick to back up his opinion with facts and encourage respectful dialogues among fans with differing opinions.

Love him or hate him, Sessler is one of the most well-known and experienced games journalists in the business right now, and we almost certainly haven't seen the last of him. Wherever he goes next, we wish him the best and sincerely hope that G4 fans have stopped giving him a hard time about Killzone 2 [http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/692992/sesslers-soapbox-killzone-mailbag/]. If you want evidence that Sessler is out to improve both games journalism and gaming forums, look no further than that video.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5905119/adam-sessler-out-at-g4]

Ah, they've moved on from Killzone 2. Now they were attacking him for Uncharted 3 last I checked. Some dispute over how he didn't find it as good as UC2, and the fans went ballistic.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Holy shit. That's kind of awesome. I look forward to seeing what he does next. I've never been keen on the idea of giving G4 ratings when I want to get the latest word from Mr. Sessler.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
He finally left. Awesome, totally support this. Ever since G4 went to shit after merging with Tech TV Sessler has looked more and more dead behind the eyes. It's pretty evident he was just tired of their shit... at least in my mind.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
Fappy said:
He finally left. Awesome, totally support this. Ever since G4 went to shit after merging with Tech TV Sessler has looked more and more dead behind the eyes. It's pretty evident he was just tired of their shit... at least in my mind.
Every time I saw him on air or on G4 over the past few years, I seriously thought he was gonna be in the news the next day for offing himself.... He has hated himself for years if his expressions and actions on camera are at all indicative of his mental state.

Xiado said:
Hire him, escapist. Get this guy before it's too late, he was one of the only reasons I went on G4, and probably my favorite person in the industry.
I'll second that!

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Adam Sessler deserves a lot better than G4 (the horrid thing it has become)...i've followed him since the days of Extended Play on Tech TV (RIP)...

Here's to greener pastures for you, Sess...

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
GamerLuck said:
Xiado said:
Hire him, escapist. Get this guy before it's too late, he was one of the only reasons I went on G4, and probably my favorite person in the industry.
I'll second that!
I don't think escapist could afford him....maybe penny arcade could though

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
wow so now i have zero reason to go to g4tv.com now since there wont be any sessler soapbox....

all well cant wait to see what he gets to do next, i am sure someone will pick him up for something.

also as much as a love sessler, am i the only one that gets incredibly distracted from that crap on his face recently? seriously that's the oddest looking facial hair I have ever seen =p

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
It was very clear for the past few years that the web presence and the TV presence of G4 were completely different animals. Most of the hate G4 was getting was squarely directed at the TV side. The web side, which Sessler was the dominant force behind, was easily one of the best sources for gamers on the web. Great stuff and it will be interesting to see what comes next. I can't see Morgan Webb sticking around with Sessler gone and who knows who will be driving things in the future.

Either way, Sessler deserves a ton of respect for everything he's done for the industry and I know I'll probably be following him around to whereever he ends up next.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
I quit paying attention to G4 quite some time ago, Sessler's soapbox was really the last thing that held any interest for me, I think he has a good head on his shoulders, and in all honesty gave G4 its last remaining shred of credibility. I jumped that ship years ago in favor of this site, I feel you get a better discourse on the topic here than at G4. I hope Sessler finds some where that he can be honest in his views on the subject, because he does know a lot on the topic. I am willing to admit I don't agree with him ALL THE TIME. In fact, giving Fable 2 game of the year over Fallout 3 REALLY irked me... But hey its a review, and you can't agree with everyone on everything.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Well, there goes any of my reasons why I still occasionally check on G4. Now it's just another generic game site.

I really can't wait to see what he does next. I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on whatever he does, because he was the only reason to check in on G4. He was a damn good journalist.

And I also support trying to hire him for the Escapist. Granted, it's understandable if the odds are slim and you don't get him, but damn, wouldn't it be so bloody awesome? Two awesome sources for gaming, joined into one! :D

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
RaNDM G said:
It's the end of an era. Now I have no incentive to watch G4.
to be fair i think they are the only ones that actually air the E3 press conferences...that's literally it thou

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
War Penguin said:
Well, there goes any of my reasons why I still occasionally check on G4. Now it's just another generic game site.

I really can't wait to see what he does next. I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on whatever he does, because he was the only reason to check in on G4. He was a damn good journalist.

And I also support trying to hire him for the Escapist. Granted, it's understandable if the odds are slim and you don't get him, but damn, wouldn't it be so bloody awesome? Two awesome sources for gaming, joined into one! :D
agreed. However, if it was a contract dispute that came up, I interpret that to mean $$$ issues. And though a quality site, The Escapist is not financially the most fluid.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I remember seeing that, or something similar some time ago, I love him to be honest. As it's said, I don't think the Escapist rakes in enough cash to hire him, but it would be pretty cool, though you've already got Yahtzee for game reviews.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
As someone whos watched him sense Gamespot I have to say I am happy he left that horrible piece of shit known as G4.

Maby now he wont look so upset and will bring forth some properness

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
good to see him finally get the hell out of dodge. ive always liked hearing his opinion on games and the industry, but it has become surrounded by all the other crap G4 has shamed itself by airing.

now maybe ill have the moral security in knowing that i can listen to sessler without giving G4 ratings :)