THQ Cuts Deep to Survive

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
THQ Cuts Deep to Survive

THQ has shed its budget software division and a European vice president.

Like a crippled bomber tossing excess weight out the window as it struggles to stay in the sky long enough to make it across Allied lines, THQ appears to be doing all it can in a desperate bid to keep the lights on and turn things around. Earlier today the company announced the sale of ValuSoft [http://www.valusoft.com], best known for stocking the shelves of mass-market retailers like Wal-Mart and Target with low-priced, "second-tier" games ranging from straight-up crap like 18 Wheels of Steel: Extreme Trucker 2 to semi-obscure and older but still decent releases like King's Bounty: Armored Princess and Battlefield 1942.

ValuSoft was taken off THQ's hands by Cosmi Corporation [http://www.cosmi.com/], which claimed that the acquisition makes it the second-largest publisher of PC software in North America and the biggest "value software publisher," while THQ President and CEO Brian Farrell said the move reflects the company's commitment to divest itself of all but its most successful core franchises.

"With the transition of the 'Value' PC business to Cosmi, our internal resources are now focused on our core videogame portfolio where we can drive the highest quality performance and execution for our games," he said.

Rory Donnelly, THQ's long-serving senior vice president of European publishing, was also a victim of the cuts, as the company announced that his position was eliminated as part of its plan to streamline operations. "As a result of this decision, Rory Donnelly will be leaving the company effective May 10," THQ said in a statement. "We wish Rory well in his future endeavors and we thank him for his 12 years of service to the company."

It's still way too early to judge whether or not THQ will be able to stave off an ugly end, but it certainly appears to be pulling out all the stops. The company also got a spot of good news earlier this month, when its fourth-quarter financial results turned out to be not as bad as expected [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116831-THQ-Sees-Hope-in-Fourth-Quarter-Results].

Source: 2 [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/thq-sells-budget-division-valusoft/095092])

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Let someone decent take Relic...for the love of God let someone take Relic. Don't make them go down with the sinking ship!

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011

Seriously, THQ puts out some games I love, but I think they're setting sail for bankrupt island.

Sad really, I wish EA had gone first.

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
Who holds the 40k licence Relic or THQ? Obsidian is in a nose-dive, is Volition their only developer still going strong?

I don't think it'll be long before Activision and EA are picking over the carcass (or just trying to grab the various licences like WWE). A shame for me as I don't buy EA games anymore on principle.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
I'm sorry, but the Homeworld fanboy in me can't help but ask, why do THQ still refuse to distribute the Homeworld series on digital platforms, especially now, with their financial problems?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Anti-Robot Man post="7.373131.14410493" said:
Who holds the 40k licence Relic or THQ? Obsidian is in a nose-dive, is Volition their only developer still going strong?

I don't think it'll be long before Activision and EA are picking over the carcass (or just trying to grab the various licences like WWE). A shame for me as I don't buy EA games anymore on principle.
i'm pretty sure Relic has the 40K rights.

and bite your tongue!! I'd rather see Relic go down with THQ then have EA or Activsion totally ruin them and making me hate them

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i hope they stay afloat. the principle thing is just a lousy excuse not to buy games from ea or who ever

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Their core franchises are all good, so I can't wait for the releases. I want THQ to survive this, they are one of the few good bigger publishers out there who give a damn about their customers. C'mon, you can DO EEEET!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Blizzard!
Disregard Heart of the Swarm!
Aqwire Relic!
Nah, I don't want to wait 8 years for a new Warhammer 40k game. I would prefer they go down than be acquired by someone like that.
DJDarque said:
All this love for Relic and none for Vigil. feelsbadman.jpg
That's who does Darksiders! I don't want them going anywhere. The first game was epic, the second probably won't disappoint. I'm sure if they put it out soon, it will significantly help their position in the market.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Battlefield 1942 was DICE and EA back in 2002 and KB:AP was 1C (a fact I only know because I both own the game and because there was a 1C game sale on Amazon). Valusoft hasn't touched either of those games according to the wiki page either.

Don't lump them in with the shovelware shit they turn out.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Spitfire said:
I'm sorry, but the Homeworld fanboy in me can't help but ask, why do THQ still refuse to distribute the Homeworld series on digital platforms, especially now, with their financial problems?
Simple they don't own it. Activision does.

Anti-Robot Man said:

Lunar Templar said:
i'm pretty sure Relic has the 40K rights.

and bite your tongue!! I'd rather see Relic go down with THQ then have EA or Activsion totally ruin them and making me hate them
Relic doesn't own the rights to making 40k games THQ does. Also Obsidian isn't owned by THQ they are just working with THQ right now for the South Park game. A general rule of thumb is the publisher nearly always owns the IP rights.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
80Maxwell08 said:
good to know, still think Relic should be saved, but not by Activision or EA.
not played anything by Obsidian so ... not comment there
Oh total agreement there. Relic does bad enough being rushed. I think Take Two or Zenimax would be great for all of THQ as a whole. Both of them see the value in fan devotion and taking a good amount of time to ship a quality product.

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
tony2077 said:
the principle thing is just a lousy excuse not to buy games from ea or who ever
You need an "excuse" not buy videogames from EA? And here I thought consumers had choice in where they spend their hard-earned money.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Anti-Robot Man said:
tony2077 said:
You need an "excuse" not buy videogames from EA? And here I thought consumers had choice in where they spend their hard-earned money.
that's why i said it was lousy

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
tony2077 said:
Anti-Robot Man said:
tony2077 said:
So you do think that people need an excuse not buy games from EA? And that it must be a really compelling one?

Do you work for EA?

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Anti-Robot Man said:
tony2077 said:
Anti-Robot Man said:
tony2077 said:
So you do think that people need an excuse not buy games from EA? And that it must be a really compelling one?

Do you work for EA?
no i don't and i do think they need a real reason not ea is the devil or anything along those lines.

work for ea is the the best reason you can come up with for someone not to despise them