Real People, Fake Movies

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Real People, Fake Movies

When real people make it into not so real movies.

Read Full Article

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
What I loved about Time After Time is that Wells is such a smart, forward-thinking guy, he pretty quickly figures out how 1970s San Francisco works without making too many waves. Most "out of time" stories are played for laughs, with the displaced character quickly drawing attention to themselves--usually from the police or mental health institutions.

My addition to this list: Ever After, the "realistic" feminist take on Cinderella starring Drew Barrymore--with Leonardo Da Vinci as her fairy godfather.

CASTLE STAFF: You did it, maestro! You're a genius!
LEONARDO: Yes, I will go down in history as the man who opened a door.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I don't know the full bio to Wong Fei-hung but he must of been an incredible guy in real life. I have seen a few films he is portray in (Iron Monkey and Once Upon a Time in China) and he always presented as an interesting guy.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I'm surprised The Prestige didn't get a mention... or would that be too much of a spoiler?

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
At the-seven-percent solution... it's funny, because freud was a cokehead.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Time After Time and The Seven-Per-Cent Solution both sound like Nega-universe Bill and Ted episodes. Or awkward Doctor Who plots that got thrown out.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
My lord but Adaptation sounds all sorts of interesting. I think I'm going to look that up. Thanks Bob!

burymagnets

Nov 30, 2010
A whole week without driving up your hits with uninformed opinions about Mass Effect Bob?

Great! Now I can watch and read your stuff without feeling nauseous :D

Birthe

Apr 26, 2010
"Dracula" is actually a story of this kind too and I think quite a few stories by Shakespeare... as I highly doubt that the real Macbeth ever met up with any witches...

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I remember liking the Jackie Chan "Around the World in 80 Days" movie, but other people probably don't for a good reason.

hydroblitz

May 15, 2009
Whoa, bob. The Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter book was great. Don't just assume when you have no backing. It's a good, well executed story that takes itself pretty seriously.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
From the trailers I've seen, Abe Lincoln looks like a halfway decent drama/action film, as long as they don't play out the joke for too long it should be fun

Duckman

Jan 7, 2012
As exaggerated as Wong Fei Hung is in cinema, He was actually confirmed to be quite the badass. The fight scene in "The Legend of the Drunken Master" (also known as Drunken Master 2) where Hung fights the Axe Gang with a Bamboo Staff is actually a highly exaggerated depiction of a fight the real Hung fought where he used a Bamboo Staff to defeat 15 armed men.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I think that 200 Motels deserves a mention for sheer weirdness factor. Co-directed by Frank Zappa, the movie is a bizarre musical that demonstrates that touring can make you go crazy. Of special note is that Frank Zappa is a character in the movie, but the part is not played by Zappa himself, but rather by Ringo Starr.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
MovieBob said:
When real people make it into not so real movies.
How did you miss Bubba Ho-tep? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubba_Ho-tep].

Elvis alive in a nursing home fighting an Egyptian mummy alongside a black John F Kennedy. With Bruce Cambell. Sounds like the best example of the genre working ever.