Fan Recreates Star Fox Intro in HD Glory

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fan Recreates Star Fox Intro in HD Glory

We're pretty sure the SNES couldn't have put out graphics like this in 1993.

The original SNES Star Fox was a landmark in gaming - one of the first console games ever (and certainly the most popular) to be rendered entirely in rudimentary polygons instead of sprites. Unfortunately, it hasn't aged quite as well as its sprite-based contemporaries. Enter YouTube user rickonami [http://www.youtube.com/user/rickonami?feature=watch], who has reimagined the series' opening in modern-day HD glory.

Obviously, this high-res rendering is a little snazzier than the original intro, which can be seen here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwrUDdD-fRA&feature=related]. It is, however, remarkably faithful to the visual style of the SNES classic, barrel rolls and all, down to the iconic "Scramble! Scramble! Scramble!" scene that most children of the era probably have memorized.

It's this sort of thing that makes people long for a current-gen Star Fox game. Perhaps we'll see one on the Wii U, but with Nintendo, nobody ever really knows.

(Via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-30-original-star-fox-opening-remade-in-1080p-hd])

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Starfox was one of those games I played over and over again as a kid. The SNES was my console and Starfox was one of the best games on it. Every time I beat a path it felt amazing.

Never beat path 3 because of that level...

Anyway, that was a cool re-imagining. Nice to see some Star Fox fans are good at 3D animation!

[sub][sub]I don't care if it hasn't aged well, I still play it.[/sub][/sub]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
All I can say is that that remade intro is bloody brilliant and it's awesome to see it remain in modern day glory!

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
This is really awesome as far as animation, but a couple things kinda went and got in the way.

First, the words are "Arwings Primed" not "Armory is Primed"
Second, this song is a few years old, and while kinda good in its middle, the beginning and ending left a lot to be desired.
Third, the explosions, especially in the last part, didn't conform well to the 3D pan of the space station.

It's better than what I could do, but a little more quality control, maybe an extra day, could have greatly benefited it.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
The Gentleman said:
All I've got to say is: oh yeah... there was a game before Starfox 64...
Yes, there was. And it was Freaking Awesome.

---

OT: Very rarely do I ever wish to shout "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" at something.

This is one of those moments.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Matthew94 said:
Holy shit that was amazing

DO IT NINTENDO, DO IT NOW

*breaks down in a shivering mess*
Seconded. We need to see Starfox remade like this.

We have the technology. We can make it better...stronger...more HD... *KA-BRICKED for rehashing the Six Million Dollar Man intro* OW!!!

targren

May 13, 2009
Wow. I put up with Nintendo's tendency to tack crappy motion controls on everything these days, for the chance to play that! That looked fantastic!

Nitpick tho: Wasn't "James McCloud" Fox's dead father?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I always had a tingly nostalgic sensation whenever I re-play the original SNES StarFox, seriously, that game's soundtrack is kickass.

I'd love to see StarFox like this, definitively.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Man, I loved the first Star Fox. I once beat the hardest path without dying once, it was amazing. And I still consider it an achievement today, haha. I would buy another Star Fox game.

That said, why would Nintendo make a new one when people will just complain en masse that it is just the same game as it always was without anything but new graphics.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
If this was on the Wii-U, it would make me consider buying one instead of not at all. It probably would need some enhanced features (more levels, challenge modes, free-flight modes), but I certainly would want to buy it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
People may cringe when thinking about the Wii U but could you imagine having both the internal cockpit view and the third person perspective at the same time?

It might be too much for most people, though...

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Holy shit that was amazing

DO IT NINTENDO, DO IT NOW

*breaks down in a shivering mess*
I have to agree... a redo of the original with todays graphics.
I would buy that, shut up and take my money.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Very cool. I wonder if they could do a new game with these graphics? Or a redo of one? Or a reboot? (Just throwing out ideas here)

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Redlin5 said:
Starfox was one of those games I played over and over again as a kid. The SNES was my console and Starfox was one of the best games on it. Every time I beat a path it felt amazing.

Never beat path 3 because of that level...

Anyway, that was a cool re-imagining. Nice to see some Star Fox fans are good at 3D animation!

[sub][sub]I don't care if it hasn't aged well, I still play it.[/sub][/sub]
Tell me about it I could beat hard mode on the N64 in my sleep, but I never beaten the original snes version. (though I was 8 when I played it) Is it just me or have games in general gotten easier over the years.