Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Launch Info Leaks Early

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Launch Info Leaks Early

Official UK site reveals release date and setting.

According to a large countdown timer that's been ticking away on UK site [http://www.callofduty.com/] seems to have jumped the gun, publicly revealing much of the information meant for tonight. According to that version of the site, Activision's big to-do is the official announcement of Black Ops 2, which the site reveals to be hitting shelves on November 13th, 2012.

Aside from just the drop date, the site also details some of the game's setting, confirming numerous rumors that Black Ops 2 will take place in a much more modern setting than its predecessor.

"Pushing the boundaries of what fans have come to expect from the record-setting entertainment franchise," the site reads, "Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 propels players into a near future, 21st Century Cold War, where technology and weapons have converged to create a new generation of warfare."

[gallery=707]

A small handful of screenshots featuring the games quadrotors have also appeared, along with the game's official box art. There's a trailer, too, but we're probably going to have to wait on seeing that one; the video is set to private on YouTube, and since it's the same one set to appear on the standard version of the site (which is still in countdown lock-up) it likely won't be live until it interrupts a basketball game later this evening.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Is there ever a time that a major release from any game studio doesn't get leaked early these days?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Battlefield now COD, what a surprise. The countdown was due within a week so no big deal.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This is probably one of the lamest leaks ever, everyone knows that cod launches in mid November, its only happened the last 5 years in a row or so.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Anyone who never saw this coming obviously has no pattern recognition.

Here we go again, the hype hype hype, then a month down the line we get a patch which turns the hit detection into shit and then everyone will hate the game and eargerly look forward to MW4 as some sort of savior game which will innevitably turn into another camper friendly swamp of irritation so we all then wait for Black Ops 3 to save us from the shit that is MW4 which in turn becomes a laggy mess while....

Basically just copy paste that sentence rant while adding ever increasing numbers.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Ah, so I have 6 months left of playing a current Call of Duty game. Good to know.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Well, at least they're breaking the mold somewhat (i.e. near future rather than historical or present day), if in a extremely predictable fashion...

Architecture in the second photo suggests western-American continent, possibly Vancouver or Seattle. Foliage and slum architecture in the third suggests Middle east, possibly the U.A.E. or the former Saudi Arabia.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Ok when they say "near future 21st century cold war" do they really mean something like the year 2030 or later because I've been hoping the COD franchise would go "Future Warfare" at least once just for fun.

...and I know I'm going to catch flak from some people about the comment I just made so go ahead and get it all out of your systems but you can't tell someone their opinion is wrong with a straight face.

Funniest thing happened...unrealated to post: I wanted to post this comment and in my haste, I forgot to fill out the captcha. Now it's telling me about that and now the captcha I need to type in says, Murphys's Law. XD

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Meh its likely this was Activision that leaked this, the Quadrotor and future setting thing was hinted at last week in a FPSrussia video on youtube who in so many words let the cat out the bag anyway. (he was being paid by Activision to and admits so )

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
... uhhh... wut?

Well considering I was really hoping to see another CoD based in the 60's, 70's, or 80's, this is very... very strange. So strange that I honestly have lost almost all the interest I had in this.

I'm sure they'll pull something out of their ass that will actually cause me to buy the game on launch (happened with Black Ops 1 and again with MW3, and I only really regretting doing so with MW3) especially since Treyarch still knows what they are doing if Black Ops 1 was any indication. But still, this is not what I was hoping for or expecting, so consider me VERY cautious now.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
So black ops 2 is post-modern warfare?

Kinda like Modern Warfare was really.

Colour me disinterested until the price drops waaaay low. Only just bothered to get MW3, and it's a hell of alot better than the mess that Black Ops was, Survival is great, the multiplayer is (shock/horror) actually functional; I'm yet to be stabbed from 50 feet away thanks to lag and yet to be die from a gunshot that went about 6 feet to the left of my foot hitting me straight in the face 30 seconds later.

OT: I bet it has a WW2 flashback, I call a WW2 flashback. It's like Treyarch just can't let it go.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
IDK the forums and threads are already blowing up with, "don't cares and cue COD drama" But I have to say I personally look forward to it. Treyarch has always made good games IMO and I look forward to it, as a Gamer not a FPS/COD Fanboy stereotype.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Set in the future?

...huh. That's, er, different, I guess. For CoD at least. Perhaps there'll be a Ratchet and Clank-like arsenal of guns to choose from? That would actually be hovering precariously close to sounding interesting. Hey, a guy can dream, right?

Anyway, doesn't really matter what anyone says, it'll still sell a bazillion copies.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
But we all kinda knew already that it was gonna be released on Nov. 13. All games are released on Tuesdays. This one is gonna have a midnight release for sure. So it makes sense that the past leaked date, Nov. the 13th, was gonna be the official date. Holidays and all.

I even told everyone else it was gonna be released that day. :l

Anyway, it seems this will take place in some sort of alternate future? Well, that would be original...for a CoD game. Combination between MW and Blops, then?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Mike Kayatta said:
According to a large countdown timer that's been ticking away on CallofDuty.com [http://www.callofduty.com/] for the past week or so, a massive reveal for the franchise has been prepared for 9:00 P.M. EST during TBS's televising of the NBA playoffs.
A "massive" reveal? Really? "Yes, that's right shooter fans: we are indeed making another CoD this November."

:p Forgive me for being a cynical ass-wipe, but I'd hardly call anything Activision announces in regards to CoD as being "massive".

The announcement of SC II was "massive", hell they practically made it a national holiday in Korea. The announcement of Skyrim was "massive". Hell, even the announcement of Portal 2 was pretty big. But Activisin saying "Yep, we're STILL making them every year." is about as "massive" as announcing that you'll be having McDonald's for lunch.