Judge Demands Disclosure of Private Facebook Photos

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Judge Demands Disclosure of Private Facebook Photos

The British Columbia Supreme Court doesn't care about your Facebook privacy settings.

In November 2008, Tamara Fric, who at the time was a law school student at the University of Victoria, was involved in a motor vehicle collision which left her with injuries including "chronic severe headaches, injury and pain to the upper back and neck pain." She claims that she remains in "substantially" the same amount of pain today as she was three years ago, telling a B.C. court that the accident has had a negative impact on her physical, social and academic life and also imposed limits on her "employability."

The defendants in the case, however, believe that Fric's claims are overstated and that post-accident Facebook photos of vacations and participation in the university's social/sports tournament "Law Games" prove that she's not as physically limited as she purports. Fric had 759 photos on Facebook at last check but her profile is set to "private," so only her 890 Facebook friends can see them. Yet while being careful with her privacy settings may protect her from run-of-the-mill Facebook creepers, it's not going to do her much good against the long arm of the law.

Despite her argument that the request for the photos was overly broad and that forcing disclosure would violate her right to privacy as well as that of everyone else on Facebook, the British Columbia Supreme Court ruled that the photos should be disclosed. "Photographs which show the plaintiff engaging in a sporting or physical recreational activity - from hiking to scuba diving to curling to dancing - are relevant in discovering the plaintiff's physical capacity since the accident," said Supreme Court Master Carolyn Bouck. "I do not agree with the plaintiff's submission that such information is only relevant when there is a claim or evidence of total disability."

The specifics of the case are more or less incidental; what's noteworthy is the court's disregard for social network privacy. That's not necessarily surprising - "I set my profile to private" is hardly the most Darrow-esque defense ever - but it should nonetheless serve notice to everyone who posts photos on the internet: Privacy ain't necessarily private.

Source: The Province [http://www.theprovince.com/news/Hand+over+Facebook+pictures+crash+victim+told/6545581/story.html]

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Dear people in positions of power:
Either learn about computers, games and technology, or leave them alone.
Signed,
The Internet

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The main thing I got from this is that she's STILL FACEBOOK FRIENDS WITH THE PEOPLE SHE'S SUING.

WHY?!

(I conclude this because the photos are set to "private", but the defendants claim to know their contents.)

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Qualifying photos visible to 890 people as "private" is stretching the definition of private to beyond ridiculous. I appreciate that's not the point but no one has 890 close personal friends.

Leaving potentially incriminating images up on Facebook is, however, almost the precise dictionary definition of "imbecilic".

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Gearhead mk2 said:
Signed,
The Internet
Or you know, she could learn not to post pictures on the internet.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
She is wrong, the court is right. Such photos are relevant to a court case, and access to them does not constitute a violation of privacy.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
lacktheknack said:
The main thing I got from this is that she's STILL FACEBOOK FRIENDS WITH THE PEOPLE SHE'S SUING.

WHY?!

(I conclude this because the photos are set to "private", but the defendants claim to know their contents.)
I can't imagine that someone with 890 facebook friends is all that overly critical about who she is friends with.

Anyway, that evidence does sound quite critical to the case, saying you're injured to the point where you may not be employed and then taking part in sports tournaments does seem a bit deceitful. If her having to show some photos to the courts that she, herself, shows to 890 people means that someone isn't wrongfully sued, I'm all for it.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Do they have a valid warrant to look at these photos? Because as far as I know, that's all they'd need. If they can search a person's home without their permission under the right circumstances, then their Facebook account shouldn't be any different. Especially if they already have testimony from people who can already see the photos as to what they contain.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
If we were talking about regular, paper photos, would there even be a question whether the court could have them?

lacktheknack said:

WHY?!

Nah, if that were the case, they wouldn't need the judge to get them. They'd just print 'em out and bring 'em in.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
Nimcha said:
Or you know, she could learn not to post pictures on the internet.
Honestly, I'm sure they could mine almost all of the same information from her friends' photos. A university "Law Games" tournament doesn't sound like a small event.

Best to just assume that everything you've ever done in front of a digital camera is public on the Internet and will stay that way forever.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Wow, the British columbian flag is a real clusterfuck.

OT:As much as I hate breaches in privacy, They are photos, unless they are incredibly embarrasing, they aren't going to hurt her, unless of course she is lying and they are of her, I dunno, base jumping or something.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
The most interesting thing to come out of this article was finding out what the British Columbia flag looks like.............the colonies sure do have some weird ideas.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
This... is actually an interesting case. If she had the photos in a photo album at her home, the defendants could't force her to bring it to court, could they? But in this case, the photos are probably in a Finnish server which is privately owned by Facebook who don't care what happens to this one person. This is interesting when compared to the shift to cloud computing. A US judge determined that you can't be forced to provide your computer's password to the police, but if you're keeping your murder diaries in Google Docs can't Google be forced to give it up?
Gearhead mk2 said:
Signed,
The Internet
You seem to be implying that if the judge knew more about Facebook she would have come to a different conclusion, and I can't understand how you ended up there. Care to explain?

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Normally I'd be all over protecting Internet security rights and shtuff but..

omg... dafaq??!?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't see what the big deal is. They only need to see the photos, right? She doesn't need to expose her whole Facebook account to the court. And presumably she's got the photos on a disk or Hard Drive somewhere, so why doesn't she just put them on a flash drive and bring that into the court room? The court should present her with two choices, either present the photos or they rule in favor of the defendants and close the case; her decision.