Sega Puts Bayonetta 2 in Stasis

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Sega Puts Bayonetta 2 in Stasis

Sega's sexy heroine is unlikely to see a sequel anytime soon.

When you think about it, it's odd that Bayonetta had absolutely no trouble trouncing the creator of the universe, but she now finds herself brought low by a videogame publisher. The leggy witch put on a strong show in 2010's Bayonetta [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7024-Review-Bayonetta], but even a critical success with respectable sales can't guarantee a sequel in Sega's current sea of financial troubles. There is no clear consensus between Sega and developer Platinum Games, but development seems to have halted on Bayonetta 2, leaving the heroine's next adventure stalled.

Based on information from a source familiar with Sega's internal workings, Bayonetta 2 appears to have been in a relatively early stage of preproduction. Due to its finances being cursed by an Umbra witch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116581-Sega-to-Drop-Games-and-Employees-During-Extreme-Restructuring], Sega had to drop a number of employees and game projects recently. Platinum Games, Bayonetta's developer, does not deliver the mega-hits Sega needs to stay afloat right now, and the stylish action sequel likely got caught in the crossfire. Bayonetta 2 may eventually see the light of day; however, don't expect Sega to invest in any major project that can't promise major financial success anytime soon.

Sega is still letting some quirky smaller titles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116725-PAX-East-2012-Hands-On-Hell-Yeah] through to release, but Bayonetta 2's cancellation seems like a reasonable conclusion. In addition to a noncommittal "No comment" from Sega, the franchise would require a ton of resources and appeal to a niche audience. While it would probably make back its investment and a small profit, the drain on Sega's resources until the game's completion might be too much of a financial burden during already difficult times. It just goes to show that sometimes the almighty dollar can be an even more fearsome enemy than all the angels, witches, and corrupt clergymen in Europe.

Source: SPOnG [http://spong.com/article/26926/Rumour-Bayonetta-2-Has-Been-Cancelled]

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Brad Shepard said:
being one of the few people that did not care for the first one, I see no loss here.
i thinks its the majority that didn't like it so I'm part of the small group that did.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
But....but....why? WHY!!

I was really hoping there would be a second. I hope that this sees the light of day, somehow.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
Well, that sucks. Bayonetta was probably the best hacky/slashy combat game I've played. Even it's detractors would probably admit that mechanically it was damn near perfect (the game's tone being the main problem people seemed to raise about it).

Still, I can hold out hope for a sequel in the future and in the meantime Platinum are bringing both Metal Gear Rising and Anarchy Reigns along to sustain my hacky/slashy needs for the next while.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Well I never bought the first one since I mainly use my PS3 and I couldn't stop hearing about how bad a port that was so I didn't get it. Though I did play the demo and that was amazing. Well Sega tell me what titles to buy to help you stay afloat and I'll do it.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
I still don't understand what the hell happened in that game, but the fighting was great when ice-skating around in a tutu and swinging a whip.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Dammit, I Loved me some Bayonetta, I suppose its just as well though, I don't use my 360 anymore and it would probably not be on the pc.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
That game was like watching an exploitation flick on steroids, and by god it was awesome. I'll be honest and say I didn't expect a sequel so it's kinda sad to hear they were working on one and now it's cancelled.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
This isn't the sort of bust I expected from Bayonetta.
Booooooo.

Also, sadface. I really liked the first Bayonetta (even beating it on Hard, but I'm not crazy enough to try Infinite Climax Mode) and was hopping for the sequel.

Kind of sad that one of the better female characters in gaming doesn't get to have another game.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
tony2077 said:
Brad Shepard said:
being one of the few people that did not care for the first one, I see no loss here.
i thinks its the majority that didn't like it so I'm part of the small group that did.
No, he was in the minority. I've heard a lot more praise for the game than criticism. It was an awesome game (IMO, the best game of this console generation) and it needs to LIVE!
hmm when it comes to games like this I'm usually in the minority hard to believe the majority liked it

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
tony2077 said:
tony2077 said:
Brad Shepard said:
No, he was in the minority. I've heard a lot more praise for the game than criticism. It was an awesome game (IMO, the best game of this console generation) and it needs to LIVE!
hmm when it comes to games like this I'm usually in the minority hard to believe the majority liked it
It was a Devil May Cry game that was more DMC than DMC4 was. When you make a great game, people like it. Simple as that.
i know its just hard to believe. am i right to say the minority liked dmc4?

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
One of the best action games to hit consoles in recent years! I was hoping it'd become a series in its own right, so it's a shame to hear we may not be getting a sequel. ;_;