Hulu Implies Legal Issues Are Behind PS3 Blockage

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hulu Implies Legal Issues Are Behind PS3 Blockage

Video service PlayStation 3 [http://www.hulu.com/].

PlayStation 3 owners discovered they could acknowledged the problem [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92738-Hulu-Snubs-the-PS3] but implied there was little it could, or would, do about it.

Soon after the block was put into place, Patrick Klepek of G4tv.com [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/697410/Hulu-Addresses-Blocking-PlayStation-3-Cites-Vague-Tough-Decisions.html] submitted a complaint to the customer service department asking why he could no longer watch his videos. After a considerable delay, a Hulu rep finally came back with a drawn-out response that actually said very little except to suggest that there may be a legal issue with at least one content provider. The rep opened with an explanation of how distribution models work before saying that while the rise of the web, readily accessible broadband and other factors are making barriers between platforms more "permeable," there are still many long-standing "realities" that must be accounted for.

"In the near-term, the windowing strategy is still dominant in the business. Billions of dollars flow in across these different windows, and entire companies are organized around them," the rep wrote. "Nothing productive comes from flouting that reality (except to law firms who work on the occasional lawsuit)."

"Everything we do is with an eye toward achieving our long-term goal of maximizing the content you can access as conveniently as possible in a way that 'works' for the content owner," he continued. "In the short-term that may require us to make some tough decisions, but we only do so when we believe it improves our long-term prospects to build a more enduring, legal solution to that same problem."

It's not much of an explanation but the implication seems obvious enough: Somebody, somewhere, doesn't like the idea of Hulu's content showing up on the PlayStation 3 and has the legal clout to do something about it. And unfortunately for PS3 owners, since neither Sony nor Hulu seem to even want to discuss the issue, much less address it, it would appear likely that life without Hulu is something you'd better get used to.

Thanks to cleverlymadeup [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/cleverlymadeup] for the tip.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I thought Sony was behind it.
To get more people to buy TV shows and movies off of PSN.

Dizzi800

Mar 19, 2009
they should come up with a service so that a license holder can pull thier stuff from any media source I.E.: if media doesn't want their stuff in Iowa, it gets pulled. that way we can (maybe) get it up here in Canada!

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
I got that same email, and about started a thread about it. It said absolutely nothing of value.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Easy, Microsoft signs a deal with Hulu, Hulu blocks PS3.

It's legal, and it's business. Sony can't and shouldn't do anything about it.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
TheTygerfire said:

It's legal, and it's business. PS3 can't and shouldn't do anything about it.
Yeah, I was guessing Microsoft was behind it too. Eh, whatever. I can still watch it on my laptop.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
TheTygerfire said:
Seems more and more like it. Someone somewhere likely received a check from Sony's competitors to make it happen.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
TheTygerfire said:

Wow, you completely missed the content of the article. It's like you didn't even read it, yet still felt compelled to spew a bit of ignorance back onto the internet as a reply.

What they actually said, if you read it, is that one of the people whose content is currently being shown through hulu does not want their content on the PS3. "Content owner" means someone that owns the content. This can't possibly be Microsoft because they don't actually own any. It is far more likely to be one or more of the hulu owners (NBC Universal, ABC, or Fox), who not only own content but also have significant control over what hulu is allowed to do.

The reasoning behind it is simple, because hulu is also trying to block all other services that allow their content to show on any device other than a computer (Windows Mobile, Boxee, etc). The parent companies don't want their video on mobile phones, because they like being able to sell it there. And they don't want it easily available on television, because they a) want to sell it on console marketplaces and b) want to sell DVD sets.

I doubt hulu will ever make it to the Xbox, at least not without Microsoft agreeing to some pretty serious terms with the content owners to get them to agree. Which is pretty unlikely. You can be almost certain it hasn't happened though, because if it has they'd have announced it - they're not going to miss out on a chance to kick Sony while they're down.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Odds are that one of Hulu's providers is trying to peddle their wares on the Playstation Network. That would explain why Hulu had to block the site: they can't have their providers getting unhappy with them.

TheTygerfire said:
Pics or it didn't happen. There's no proof that Microsoft is involved in any way.

EDIT: Gosh-darned ninjas!

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Virgil said:
TheTygerfire said:

Wow, you completely missed the content of the article. It's like you didn't even read it, yet still felt compelled to spew a bit of ignorance back onto the internet as a reply.
Whoa, whoa, where the hell do you get off? You could have easily said your argument/counterpoint without claiming I never read the article (which I did). I don't care if you are the IT guy, you aren't taking to me like that.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I know the real deal behind this. Hulu lets you watch TV shows ( many that are otherwise exclusive to cable networks) on your computer but the PlayStation 3 is hooked up to a TV directly so the sponsors were worried that it would let people ditch the expensive cable packages they would normally have to pay for to watch on their TV normally. Same thing happened this January with Boxee ( http://blog.hulu.com/2009/02/18/doing-hard-things/ and http://mashable.com/2009/05/28/boxee-hulu-desktop/ ).

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
alex134219 said:
yeah escapist moderators are the worst they think there god and you should bow down to them

they REALLY get carried away

PS he will probably ban you and me for not claiming hes god
Please note that the views and opinions of this post do not reflect those of TheTygerfire.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
TheTygerfire said:
Virgil said:
TheTygerfire said:

Whoa, whoa, where the hell do you get off? You could have easily said your argument/counterpoint without claiming I never read the article (which I did). I don't care if you are the IT guy, you aren't taking to me like that.
It did seem a little mean but then again your post had nothing really to do with the news article.

DigitalJedl

Apr 10, 2009
Doesn't really matter. Since y'know I own a laptop and a PS3 so I can just watch Hulu on the laptop.