BioShock Film May Still Happen

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
BioShock Film May Still Happen

After BioShock: Infinite, the series may hit the big screen.

Like the city of Rapture itself, the movie adaptation of BioShock is hidden from sight and wrapped in mystery. Despite being signed actually releasing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/83749-Take-Two-Signs-BioShock-Movie-Deal], Ken Levine, the creative director behind the series, believes that the BioShock film is not dead - just resting.

"The thing with Gore [Verbinski] didn't work out, but there's no such thing as 'it's finished' when it comes to making a movie out of something," said Levine in a recent interview. While Levine admits that given the movie's tumultuous past, it would take a mighty celestial convergence to get the film back on track, he hardly sees the task as impossible. He views the project more as a battle of resources. "Right now, we're choosing our battles and focussing (sic) on making BioShock: Infinite."

After four years in and out of production and two directors calling it quits, BioShock's film prospects don't look as good as they once did. Still, if the driving player behind the series is willing to throw his weight behind the movie, it could eventually see the light of day. BioShock: Infinite launches in October, though, so even if Levine focuses all his efforts on a film as soon as the game is out the door, it could be another few years before a film hits theaters. If the film ever sees a release, will Levine still be making BioShock games by then?

Source: VideoGamer [http://www.edge-online.com/]

That Annoying Guy

Feb 21, 2012
I remember hearing about this four year ago, I'd wondered what happened to it. Well I indeed hope that Levine can pull through and release a motion picture version, but they better not pull the same sort of crap the Resident Evil (film) franchise is pulling. Well at least I have something to look forward to now.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Why don't they just make the film themselves? They could use CGI and hire all the old voice actors back to reprise their roles. Instead of doing that make it into a mini-series on HBO.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Eh. I don't terribly care about this being made into a film. The game was great, and I enjoyed it a great deal. But I'm not sure if it could be worked into being made into a film. Primarily what made the game great was the whole "Would you kindly"-free will reveal/theme. It could be difficult to work that into a film, I think.

If you were to change the narrative and/or protagonist, then maybe it could work.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Easily done, make the movie about the fall of Rapture. I'll accept my budget and film crew now.

Captcha: stinking rich Seriously who coded it's AI?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
latenightapplepie said:
Eh. I don't terribly care about this being made into a film. The game was great, and I enjoyed it a great deal. But I'm not sure if it could be worked into being made into a film. Primarily what made the game great was the whole "Would you kindly"-free will reveal/theme. It could be difficult to work that into a film, I think.

If you were to change the narrative and/or protagonist, then maybe it could work.
Oh, you could make a brilliant movie out of Bioshock if you took the right approach. You know, the game itself may not work all that well as a movie but a prequel to the game totally would. You know, showing the rise and and fall of Rapture from the perspective of some original character who, obviously, should have his own personal story-arc. I think something like that would be awesome.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
I couldn't imagine a Bioshock film being very good. it makes a good setting for a game, but I don't think it would work as a film as well.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
I'd watch this if I don't have to play another one of these games ever again. I found the game terrible, but a maniac dude in a mysterious city could really work as a fantasy film.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
I'm actually not sure if I want to see a Bioshock film. I really don't think that it's the right kind of game to turn into a movie, not to mention the fact that the story has already been told, the curtains have been pulled. As far as I can see, there is nothing that this movie could do that the game did not.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Marshall Honorof said:
"...There's no such thing as 'it's finished' when it comes to making a movie out of something."
Sadly, this is true. The looming threat of any given IP being ruined by Hollywood is never gone for good.

I kid, I kid. I'd still love to see this come to life on the big screen somehow. At this point, the most likely way is to adapt that book that came out last year into a film.

Bat Vader said:
Why don't they just make the film themselves? They could use CGI and hire all the old voice actors back to reprise their roles.
Among other reasons, they really don't have the resources for that sort of thing. A CGI movie would be just as expensive as a live-action one, if not more, even with all the special effects involved in a live-action one. Plus, being good at making video games does not translate to being good at making movies. There's a reason no video game company has ever made their own film adaptation themselves.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Can't wait to hear all the reviewers that say things like

"They decided to move the city of Columbia underwater and rename it 'Rapture'. Maybe they wanted to make it less American to appeal to the international market. They also created a new villian for the movie, Andrew Ryan, whom I'm sure is just a thinly vailed bit of political commentary about the current administration."

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
PsychedelicDiamond said:
latenightapplepie said:

Oh, you could make a brilliant movie out of Bioshock if you took the right approach. You know, the game itself may not work all that well as a movie but a prequel to the game totally would. You know, showing the rise and and fall of Rapture from the perspective of some original character who, obviously, should have his own personal story-arc. I think something like that would be awesome.
How about a film from ryans perspective?
From beginning to end?.
(or well multiple films or a hbo series like A game of thrones)

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Verbinski was right in giving up on it, the compromises they need to make in order to get the budget needed would ruin the whole thing.